Anybody using 5 hour energy?

Options
I was given a free sample of 5 hour energy so one afternoon when I could barely keep my eyes open at work, I tried it and it gave me so much energy. I felt very alert and focused. Unfortunately, I drank the whole thing and then I read the directions to drink half. I ended up staying up the whole night. I bought a couple more bottles last week to help me get going in the mornings. I would only take about 1/4 of a bottle or less each day. The positive thing besides helping me get up and get going, was it seemed to curb my appetite. I was easily under my calorie limit 4 out of 6 days last week and lost 3 lbs. The negative side was I still had trouble falling asleep and was getting about 6 hours of sleep or less each night. This week I decided not to take it because of the lack of sleep. I've not only been extremely tired but struggling to stay under my calorie limit. Didn't really make the connection that I did so well last week because of the 5 hour energy until yesterday. I'm torn about using it cuz I like the energy and focus but don't want it to come back and bite me in the butt - like how tired I was this week when I didn't take it and how it affected my eating. So I'm wondering if anybody in the MFP community uses or has used 5 hour energy? Any advice? safe? harmful? Use it before working out? (BTW, I don't drink coffee because I put too much stuff in it to make it drinkable so calories add up and it doesn't give me near the energy that 5 hour does either.) Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,677 Member
    Options
    OTC natural "upper". What I've observed is that people that I know that use it consistently, have to take more and more because they start building a resistance to the regular dose. Same with drinks like Red Bull, etc.
    It's a big caffeine burst. I believe 600 milligrams.
    If you're tired without, chances are you aren't getting enough rest. Try that first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its basically caffeine. A cup of coffee should do the trick. However, as Niner says, you should look to try to get more sleep.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's also the B vitamins!!!!!!!!!!,

wow, if i take B vitamins too late in the day, i can't sleep either, up allllllllllll night long...and WIDE AWAKE, TOO.
    Large doses of some of the Bs, like niacin, can also give a person a rush of warmth, and their face can even be flush reddish briefly, too.

but, one does grow accustomed to good size doses of B vitamins, and they won't give a person that jolt of energy anymore...B's are safe, they are water-soluble, so any excess of B vitamin can be excreted out by your body, (not build up to toxic, like fat soluble vitamins can).

i save B vitamins for days i have to get a lot done, and not every day. (so the B vitamins will still give me a buzz cuz i only take them sporadically).
    YOu can save money, and just get bottle of B vitamins, and a cup of coffee, is about same thing, i bet.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I Wish it worked even half that well for me!! It has never done much for me.... I can drink a whole bottle of the extra strength one and still feel nada!

Even had a B12 shot at the DR and nada,..... :grumble: :frown: :cry:
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It's also the B vitamins!!!!!!!!!!,

wow, if i take B vitamins too late in the day, i can't sleep either, up allllllllllll night long...and WIDE AWAKE, TOO.
    Large doses of some of the Bs, like niacin, can also give a person a rush of warmth, and their face can even be flush reddish briefly, too.

but, one does grow accustomed to good size doses of B vitamins, and they won't give a person that jolt of energy anymore...B's are safe, they are water-soluble, so any excess of B vitamin can be excreted out by your body, (not build up to toxic, like fat soluble vitamins can).

i save B vitamins for days i have to get a lot done, and not every day. (so the B vitamins will still give me a buzz cuz i only take them sporadically).
    YOu can save money, and just get bottle of B vitamins, and a cup of coffee, is about same thing, i bet.

oh the Niacin flush! if you are very sensitive, it will feel like your skin is ON FIRE.

But, I second the B vitamins and coffee and most importantly sleep. not having enough sleep can really age a person too...you look tired and haggard and 5 hour energy won't fix that. :D
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    also, not to be too personal on a webforum,
    but, to the OP, if you are near/in menopause (or, as i call it "mental pause")
    that causes
    severe
    unrelenting insomnia,
    in many women,

which may be a factor in your original complaint of being tired.
    There are several groups on MFP for women in this age group, which address ways to cope with this. Here is one of the many groups to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

or that may have nothing to do with *your* feeling tired at your job.

i also understand, how some activities, can lull even a well rested person into feeling tired, like some desk jobs can do...hope you do get it all figured out.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use it several times a week, typically before working out, but I try not to kid myself. What you are feeling is the caffeine, not the B vitamins, as studies have shown. The company likes to promote the high B vitamin content to appease to the healthy/fitness crowd, but it is no different than having a strong cup of coffee (I just hate coffee). If used too often, you will build a tolerance, no different than the person who "needs" that cup of coffee to wake up in the morning. I think it is funny that they now have the "extra strength" 5 hour energy for those who have been relying on the standard dose for far too long. If used regularly, you will build up a tolerance but how fast will depend on how often you use it. Try to stick to no more than half at a time, and not every day, but this can be said for anything with high doses of caffeine. Try to get your energy from food and appropriate amounts of sleep.
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've never tried 5 hour energy but I have recently been using Advocare Spark energy drink which is sugar free and also contains B vitamins. It's expensive and from a MLM business but people seem to love it. You could try that.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Those things have chemicals in them that make me sick, so I take powerpac or emergen-C packs in water for the b-vitamins and other good things without the chemicals, and I try to get enough sleep, and enough water--honestly, dehydration can mess with energy and stamina seriously. I took extra caffeine last month when I was singing with some rockstars, and MAN did that mess me up, even though I drink coffee every day. I am too old to mess with sleep, which I love!
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure that you are getting all of the iron, sleep and water that you need? Both will help with energy and are not supplementals. If you are needing to use supplements so that you are able to energetically function at normal levels you should probably consider what you are needing and how much sleep you are getting. Supplements will just mask the problem.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've used it on occasion, like if I have to drive all night. I don't think it is a good idea to use daily. It is also really expensive.
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    5 hr energy is mostly b vitamin as already noted. You probably do not want to take late in the day. I recommend a product called FRS. It gives you energy and focus but does not have so much B vitamin in it. If you need energy take a big dose of B 50 complex in the morning and it should last you all day.
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the valuable feedback. Got some good ideas to consider. trying to get enough sleep is a challenge though...but I can definitely put more effort into it.