Under active thyroid

Options
Hi wonder if anyone can help. I have under active thyroid and taking medication.is there anything I should specifically eat to assist in my weight loss.
People I have spoke to who have the same condition say once you put the wight on with a thyroid problem you can't lose it.
I have always weighed about 7-8 st now I am about 10.5 st. Always eat healthy as I have have an intolerance to wheat/ glutton can't seem to lose and keepit off.getting depressed about it as I am 5ft 2in so the weight looks bad.

Replies

• frankie2637
    frankie2637 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have an underactive thyroid and I am taking Levothyroxine. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago and gained around three stone taking me over twelve stone and on a 5'3" frame it was noticable!!! I tried several different things to lose the weight (unsuccessfully) and my doctor said it would be harder than someone without an underactive thryoid but not impossible. It wasnt until I found this site that I realised a lot of mistakes I had made.
    I thought I ate healthy until I started logging my food and counting calories. Portion control played a big factor. Calories in some foods are higher than you realise because you see them as healthy such as bananas or sweetcorn.
    You CAN lose weight and I have since being on here. I set my goal to 2lbs a week but I never lose that. Initially in the first couple of weeks on here I did but it then settled down to about 1lb a week, some weeks like TOM it just stayed the same, but dont get disheartened, it will come off but it will be slow or at least it was for me, but at least I didnt gain. Ive recently been on holiday and had about a month off from logging and I gained some weight back, but Im back on it again now and its all coming off again steadily, just a few pounds to go.
    This site is fantastic, dont give up, you can do it. I completely understand how you feel. I used to stand naked in front of the mirror and cry, I hated everything I saw and was so frustrated.
    I havent found any particular foods that help but a few months ago I did start drinking green tea and I think that has helped, also its great for constipation which is a common factor with an underactive thryoid.
    Good luck on your journey. You can lose weight with this condition and dont listen to anyone who says you cant, its just a little harder and may take a little longer.
    Add me as a friend if you like. Good luck :)
  • samanthamonoyou
    samanthamonoyou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi both, just came across this thread and both your comments have been really useful. I've found it so hard to find anything online about this subject.

I'm 5ft 5 and 12st 6. I just had a thyroidectomy two weeks ago, am also on Levothyroxine, and I've managed 7lbs already (was 12st 13)! Though I think it's all water weight because I had to take iodine for 10 days before the op and it bloated me out massively. I've always yo yo'd my whole life so I'm hoping that finally having the thyroid condition diagnosed and dealt with means I can lose weight this time for good. Being hyperthyroid made me so hungry all the time, now my appetite seems to be a lot smaller.

I'm sure it must be possible to lose weight even with an underactive (or non existent!) thyroid. The app for this website helps me massively, I just make sure I record everything and will keep checking my BMR as I lose it to make sure I'm not eating too much but also enough (I know some peeps can take it to such an extreme their metabolism slows down because of not having enough fuel).

I completely empathise with both of you, I currently only have a couple of things in the wardrobe that fit me as I piled it on so quickly when I was hyper and it does make you so miserable. We can do it ladies! Lots of luck to you both. xxx
  • ICanSeeTheLight
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am hypo now too after taking radio active iodine to kill my thyroid due to it being hyer. I lost a great deal of weight (I was over weight at the beginning) while my thyroid was in hyper mode. After my thyroid was "killed", my thyroid became super low and the weight piled on. Although, my appetite had decreased the weight kept creeping back up. Now I want to lose all the weight, that I originally lost. I just started today. I do have several friends who have an under active thyroid and they promise me that you can lose weight, it is just a little harder and you have to exercise patience. I know they are telling the truth as I have seen them lose. I am currently taking Synthroid and my levels just became normal about 2 months ago so now I am prepared to begin losing the weight I have gained. We will be able to do it!!!