Options
2»

Replies

• lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    thanks all!

to respond to a couple of points:
    the cherry juice is to help prevent gout - I had a couple of attacks in the last 12 months and the doctor said either pills or cherry juice.. It's working too, with no issues since I started. It tastes disgusting so I'd rather be without it, but it's worth it to avoid the

I've cut back a bit on alcohol already, and mainly switched from beer to wine - I guess I need to try

Consuming coffee and tea is not a problem, but alcohol can raise uric acid levels and provoke an episode of gout. Drinking at least 10 to 12 eight-ounce glasses of non-alcoholic fluids every day is recommended, especially for people with kidney stones, to help flush the uric acid crystals from the body.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I have to walk a couple of miles per day to even meet the sedentary setting. if your sat all day I'd definitely log as sedentary. 2000 seems a lot for someone not working out too. I'd try 1500... if your staying the same now you should lose 1lb a week. drinks lots of water. I would look at your macros. I was eating 1500 but a lot of crabs. I changed to 40% crabs (mfp had me set at 55%) .and 30% protein and 30% fat. I have felt fuller, more energetic and the weight has fallen of steadily. I do exercise as well though. I have the same sleep problem. I'm sure it affects loss but it hasn't stopped mine. if you correct the rest you should be fine! :-)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I would suspect that "fairly active" is aimed at someone with a physically active job, rather than walking a few miles each day. If you re-set yourself to "sedentary" then I suspect you would get a more accurate target.

I would say this is the best idea. "Fairly active" is for people like construction workers or fitness instructors. I would choose sedentary and then log the daily walk.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a diet break and a different approach?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PM me if you have any questions.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    thanks all!

to respond to a couple of points:
    the cherry juice is to help prevent gout - I had a couple of attacks in the last 12 months and the doctor said either pills or cherry juice.. It's working too, with no issues since I started. It tastes disgusting so I'd rather be without it, but it's worth it to avoid the pain!

I do weigh pretty much everything, or at least I have done a couple of times so I know what 100g of chicken or 40g of almonds looks like.

I wear a heartrate monitor for most of my exercise, it normally gives me a calorie number about 2/3 the MFP number, so I go with the HRM figure every time.

I've cut back a bit on alcohol already, and mainly switched from beer to wine - I guess I need to try harder :)

& I'll definitely re-do my goal using 'sedentary'. :)

the stress thing is going to be harder to fix. My damn job pays to well to quit - even with a 2 hour commute it's still better than anything I can find locally, and we dont want to move any closer. Am trying to persuade my boss to let me work from home sometimes and he's not 100% happy but is OK with me doing it occasionally (like today! )

off on holiday tomorrow, with a suitcase full of walking shoes and camelbacks (going to the italian mountains) - should be awesome!

My chiropractor has spells of gout and he swears by drinking ionized water. He believes a lot of diseases can be avoided by changing the alkalinity of the body. Not sure whether or not this is categorized as junk science, but he says he hasn't had a gout attack since.
    The downside is, ionizers are expensive.
  • Ericgunner
    Ericgunner Posts: 109
    Options
    I think your problem is twofold, I've been on here a year and last 4 stone I am still just over 20 stone. My daily calorie goal is now just above 1600 cal a day, so I would say your calorie goal is too high and needs to be readjusted. I think your second problem is lifestyle you work and travel really hard by the sounds of it and not sleeping properly which is a big issue for dieting. You need to learn to unwind properly and relax if you can, even see your doctor and discuss it with him to maybe help you sleep better. I was wondering are you tired through the day do you doze off regularly, if so you could be suffering with sleep apnoea which can be treated very easily. I also think it might help you to look at other peoples food diaries so as you can make up a weekly menu and stick to it.
    Good luck let me know how you get on.
    Eric
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    food diary.. settings... goals... change goals... try changing to the 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Give it 2 months. First month I think my body freaked out! Your not losing so have nothing to lose trying it
    Also 1500 calories. You won't regret it!

Any questions pm me... Enjoy your holiday!

zara :-)
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Either the calories in or the calories out is wrong.

You're missing intake. I only looked at a few days but I saw no fluids listed, including water. Obviously, you're drinking something but not recording it, figure out what else you're missing and start entering it.

Are you also over-estimating calories burned? Most of us are less active in our normal routine than we think - you might need to reduce your activity level setting. If you count a daily walk as part of your normal activity level, you've already taken credit for the exercise. Logging it as exercise double counts it and that will throw off your calories burned number.

To thine own self be true - you can fool the diary but you can't fool your bum.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    also weigh food every time. tedious but so easy to start overestimating. for every 100 calories extra a day you will lose 1lb less every 5 week's!

Zara :-)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Before you even ask the question about whether you should change your calorie goals, ask yourself how accurately you are weighing and measuring your food? Volume measurements are less accurate than weight ones (because it's so easy to overfill a cup or a tablespoon, but a gram is a gram) and if you're just guesstimating your portion sizes then that's almost certainly where the problem lies. People systematically under estimate their portion sizes when guesstimating.

I have a digital kitchen scale, I put my plate on it, zero it, put on the first piece of food, record it, zero it, put on the next piece of food,etc. Nearly all my food is measured in grams, I only use volume measurements when I can't get the calories etc per gram measurements (and admittedly sometimes I'm a little lazy with that, but it's not affected my results so far, but more accuracy would be better of course).

This is the usual mistake that people make and you need to fix this first, and if your measurements are accurate and you're still not losing, then recalculate your calorie goals.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!

I do drink a lot of water - probably about 4 litres / day, more if i'm exercising, I just dont log it.

My only other [non alcoholic...] drink is black coffee, and my morning cherry juice.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would cut your calories 10% and see what happens. I think you have found your maintenance calorie level.