Baked potatoes

Options

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes aren't high calorie at all. They are also very low fat, have some protein and, although they're high in carbs, they easily fit into a day's allowance if you have one for either lunch or dinner.

I don't like butter or beans personally so I don't know how much difference that makes but the value that I use for a plain one here says 280 calories for a large (300g) potato. I weight it raw because it's heavier raw and I don't know whether the inputted weight was raw or cooked so play on the safe side.

Also, sweet potatoes are pretty much the exact same calories ...
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you have them eat them..enjoy them and follow your plan...now is the season for fruits and veggies and corn on the cob! corn on the cob requires butter, but like fresh potatoes moderation!:drinker: this spuds for you!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You have to get your carbs from somewhere. I don't understand it when people eliminate all these foods, have low carb, low fat, yet don't even eat enough protein, so it shows that they aren't eating all of there calories. I eat around 30 to 35% carbs, theres no way I could get it from fruit and veggies lol. That's over 200g of carbs O.o

If I have a baked potato, I don't add butter or salt, I add cottage cheese with onion and chives. Tastes great, low in fat and adds a bit of protein to the meal or snack.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    It's a baked potato. If you want one, have one. It won't kill you. Carbs are NOT EVIL! I am so sick of that idea. Unless you have a medical reason to restrict your carb intake, there is no reason to freak out about a potato. Add whatever toppings you want as long as they fit within your calories.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No forbidden foods, it is all about moderation, and calories in, calories out. Enjoy!

Exactly! You can eat whatever you want, as long as you log it and stay within your calorie goal. Of course staying within your goal is easier when eating low cal food, but a little bit of something heavy is not a problem at all.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They are better then pasta because they are a whole food. When I eat them I only have 4-6 oz.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are a pretty controversial food. Some nutrition experts put them in the same catergory as white bread instead of vegetable. Personally, I limit them.

I would remove the "expert" title from any who said such a thing.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :wink: Try using a healthy spread tho and not too much,but if you are having beans why do you need the butter.???? And try sweet potato too better for you.

I haven't seen any "healthy spread" that I'd eat over butter.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I added fat free plain greek yogurt to my mashed potatoes last night and it was great. You could try that instead of sour cream or butter for your potatoe topping.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of potato just about every day. It's one of my favorite foods and, yes, I use REAL butter! You definately want to eat the skin because that's where a lot of the nutrients are.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No forbidden foods, it is all about moderation, and calories in, calories out. Enjoy!

The OP's question about whether potatoes should be forbidden, it was whether it is a good idea to eat them everyday. Everyday is not moderation.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    White potatoes are a pretty controversial food. Some nutrition experts put them in the same catergory as white bread instead of vegetable. Personally, I limit them.

I would remove the "expert" title from any who said such a thing.

Can you explain why the good folks at Harvard School of Public Health should not be considered experts using something other than your personal opinion of potatoes?
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with baked potatoes! I LOVE them! I eat them for dinner occassionally. They make a great, filling meal. I put a bit of butter, cheese, salsa, ground beef, chopped broccoli, and sour cream on mine. Eat what you want! It's all about moderation. :) I wouldn't eat one for every meal, you know, but I do eat them atleast once a week. They're cheap and filling, so why not? They aren't AWFUL for you. You could be eating a lot worse things! Just easy on the butter ;)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If they fit in with your macros and calories...then nom away

I just had a baked sweet potato with some greek yogurt on it (replacement for sour cream) to add some extra protein :smile:
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are healthy if eaten in the appropriate size. Have you tried baked sweet potatoes?

This..
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do baked potatoes often. I like them, but not enough to want them regularly...so when I have a craving for one. I eat a small one. I add a little cheese and green onions and bit of fat free sour cream. Also baked beans, I avoid because of the sugar content. If I do eat them, I eat a quarter of a serving and make sure that EVERYTHING else on my plate is healthy!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options

I completely disagree. A large russet potato has about 165 calories, 50% of Vitamin C, 25% daily fiber, 33% potassium, 10% iron, and 5 grams of protein. Top it with 1/2 cup black beans, a medium tomato and 1/2 cup lowfat plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) and you have a dinner with 24 grams of protein, 28% iron, 67% fiber, 30% calcium, 89% Vitamin C, 65% potassium, about 300 mg of sodium, and less than 400 calories.

And this dinner just cost you less than $1.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I completely disagree. A large russet potato has about 165 calories, 50% of Vitamin C, 25% daily fiber, 33% potassium, 10% iron, and 5 grams of protein. Top it with 1/2 cup black beans, a medium tomato and 1/2 cup lowfat plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) and you have a dinner with 24 grams of protein, 28% iron, 67% fiber, 30% calcium, 89% Vitamin C, 65% potassium, about 300 mg of sodium, and less than 400 calories.

And this dinner just cost you less than $1.

You disagree that some experts put potatoes in the same category as white bread instead of vegetables, or that I limit them? I assure you both are true.
    On the Healthy Eating Pyramid, potatoes don’t count as a vegetable, since they are chock full of rapidly digested starch, and they have the same effect on blood sugar as refined grains and sweets. That’s why potatoes are in the “Use Sparingly” tip.
    Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/pyramid-full-story/index.html

I don't really have a way to prove that I limit potatoes, but my diary is open. Though if you don't believe my statement I suppose you may not believe my log either. :ohwell:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Try tinned tuna with either light mayo or some salsa as a way of mashing it and adding protein but not too much fat. Both work for me.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes but I will have to admit I noticed a dramatic change in my body composition when I switched from white potatoes to sweet potatoes, They are lower on the glycemic index and are also rich in nutrients.

But after saying that, I agree with the rest of the folks that say we can have them if it is in moderation. A good, whole, from the ground food is going to be better for you than a box of processed crap any day of the week.

And as for my preference of what I like on a white baked potato, give me a dollop of sour cream any day baby!

SOUR CREAM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! :D