working out and gaining weight....

Options
for the first 5 weeks i was only MFP, i had lost 10.5 lbs through diet alone. I decided to start working out and now it appears that i have gained a couple of pounds. does this normally happen when you start to work out? how long until you normally start losing weight again? i understand that with working out there will be a build up of muscle which is good, because it will eventually help me burn more fat, but right now, it is just kind of discouraging to see the gain on the scale :(

Replies

• ceefin
    ceefin Posts: 16
    Options
    Well done on your challenge so far. Yes, you will build muscle which is actually heavier than fat, so for a while your weight loss will slow down or stop. Don't be discouraged, starting an exercise programme is great for you, stick with it, you will feel the benefits soon
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You would have to be lifting a whole lot, for many hours a day to gain muscle that quickly. You are most likely retaining water due to the swelling of muscles, but not gaining muscle weight. It will even out. Check our sodium intake as well. I know if I go over the recommended amount of sodium, I'm up a pound or two each week!! Also check out www.scoobysworkshop.com and put all our info in his calculator to see if you are set at the right calories, etc! Good luck!
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Anytime you start a new training program there is a possibility to gain a bit of weight. It's only temporary. You should start losing again in a week or so.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle gain, but it's not fat, either. It's normal, temporary fluid retention. Your muscles hold extra water to repair themselves after exercise. If you ever felt stiffness or soreness after exercise, that's inflammation, and inflammation is fluid retention.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle gain, but it's not fat, either. It's normal, temporary fluid retention. Your muscles hold extra water to repair themselves after exercise. If you ever felt stiffness or soreness after exercise, that's inflammation, and inflammation is fluid retention.

ok.. well that explains a lot then, as i am still very sore and i last worked out 2 days ago. going to work out again today and hoping i won't be as sore after this time.
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options

This - I've experienced it first hand. The weight came flying off the week after!