When logging strength training...

Options
Why doesn't that count for calorie loss? Does strength training not help you burn calories? Just a bit confused..

Replies

• rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know this ....
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    You can log it in the cardio section as strength training. I think the strength training section is just for you to keep track of what strength training you have done.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use "circuit training" under cardio activities, and it seems to work...
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What i've been told by P.T's is you burn after strength training not during like cardio.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can log it in the cardio section as strength training. I think the strength training section is just for you to keep track of what strength training you have done.
    Ohhhhh okay, thanks! I had stopped doing strength training in addition to 30 DS because I didn't know if I was burning anything..=/. Maybe I'll get back to it!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Ohhhhh okay, thanks! I had stopped doing strength training in addition to 30 DS because I didn't know if I was burning anything..=/. Maybe I'll get back to it!

You should do strength trining anyways cause it'll make you sexier ;)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log my personal training sessions under Cardio. You don't burn a ton of calories typically, I log about 240 calories for a 30 minute session with a 5 minute HIIT warm-up and a 5 minute cardio cool-down.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you type in strength training in the cardio section it will pop up and you can log that. The strength training section is just to list what particular exercises you did that day.
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

You should do strength trining anyways cause it'll make you sexier ;)

You still burn with strength don't stop it.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    lol, strength training definitely burns calories (you're using energy!). As they've said, log it under cardio as "strength training". I wouldn't do circuit training, as that's typically more like p90x/crossfit type stuff.

Also yeah, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn throughout the day (in general)
  • andie2013
    andie2013 Posts: 101
    Options
    What I do is I log the calories burned through weight lifting in the cardiovascular section and then the specific excercises I did in the strenght training section, to keep track of how fast it takes to move onto another weight.

The strenght training section does not keep track of calories, so those calories are not double counted, if you do what I do.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Under the Cardiovascular section, you can choose "Strength Training" as an option.

The great thing about Strength Training is that you're burning calories DURING your workout (not as many as cardio calories for the same amount of time) but you're also burning calories for up to 3 days afterwards too! It's great.

Buy a Heart Rate Monitor and wear this during your workout to get accurate calories burned, as I wear a Heart Rate Monitor and find that my calories burned on that are very different to the MFP calories estimate.
  • nickmast78
    Options
    I log "Strength Training" under cardiovascular by time and whatever calories MFP gives me, I eat half of them back.
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    just a helpful hint as well, i write out my sets (or weight regimens) in the "Note" area of my workout log....easier than looking each individual exercise up and its printable to take to the gym.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • hlinn01
    hlinn01 Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes, thank you, this thread has been very helpful to more than one person. Thank you for asking this question.