TRX

Options
Contemplating investing in a TRX system for my garage. I have had two back surgeries and I am looking for good core strengthening without doing crunches or anything similar. If you have one, do you use it often? Is it worth the $200+ investment? Can a not very coordinated girl still get good benefit from the system?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    TRX is great. You use your own body weight "against' yourself to give the workout. I really recommend it. Try going through YouTube to find videos on what to do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We have the TRX system at my tri club that's used as part of the strength program. I'm seriously contemplating getting one for use at home.

You don't need to do crunches for core try planks (front & side).
  • Sarabeth1980
    Sarabeth1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    TRX is great. You use your own body weight "against' yourself to give the workout. I really recommend it. Try going through YouTube to find videos on what to do.

I have used one in PT and really like it... just wondering if overall it is worth buying. I have a small child and going to the gym really isn't an option. All my old DVDs (Bob/Jillian) I have to do SOOOO many mods due to impact issues.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    ^^ this ^^
  • muk2012
    muk2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used the TRX at my gym with an instructor for a few months. Loved it!

BUT I would recommend looking around for alternative cheaper versions of it rather than the TRX brand. I think a good alternative is the z-trainer at the high end quality.

If your not sure whether you will like one why not try a really cheap one. I bought this resistance trainer off Amazon UK called the 66Fit Adjustable Door Gym. For less than £20 about £15 dollars it was well worth it. I can do everything I can on the TRX on this. - Just looked and it's not available on Amazon US, must be a UK brand, but I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Rip 60. I am considering this program. It is similar to TRX training but a lot more reasonably priced. Go to Amazon.com and look at the reviews.
  • Sarabeth1980
    Options
    ^^ this ^^

Yep, do them already, Thanks :)
  • Sarabeth1980
    Options
    Take a look at Rip 60. I am considering this program. It is similar to TRX training but a lot more reasonably priced. Go to Amazon.com and look at the reviews.

Thanks! Checking now!
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love TRX. I hated it the first few times my personal trainer made me do it, but the more I do it the more I like it. I like that you can make tiny little adjustments to change the weight of your exercise. I'd also get a full length mirror to check yourself while you're doing the exercises. I have a bad habit of arching my back a lot and if the PT wasn't there to correct me I probably would have hurt myself by now.
  • Sarabeth1980
    Options
    I don't recommend it. They advocate it has "hundreds of exercises" does it really??? Maybe like 150 exercises that are to some degree pointless. For example, how many chest exercises can you do? 1 if you get really creative I figured out how to do 2. What about back, shoulders?

You can't be progressive very well on it either. You have no marking of your last position. So for example if you do an exercise 10 reps with 20lbs(talking about dumbbells) how do you go up to 25lbs? or do more reps? Something has to be constant, to judge for your next workout. You don't get that with the TRX.

I think for about 200 dollars you can get some of those adjustable dumb bells. I'd use those and get a swiss ball and use it as a bench.

I have kettlebells, a full set of dumbells, I am just pretty ADD when it comes to exercise and need to change things up. That and my low back cannot handle the kettlebell workout right now :( Good points about the different exercises. Thanks!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have you also looked into yoga? That has helped me with my back issues.

We have a TRX and I like it a lot but my husband is the primary user. They have a DVD for those with back issues called healthy back.

And with TRX, you can adjust your difficulty in a variety of ways, changing your angle, lifting your foot, etc. Not everything has to be measured by a weight.
  • Sarabeth1980
    Options
    Have you also looked into yoga? That has helped me with my back issues.

We have a TRX and I like it a lot but my husband is the primary user. They have a DVD for those with back issues called healthy back.

And with TRX, you can adjust your difficulty in a variety of ways, changing your angle, lifting your foot, etc. Not everything has to be measured by a weight.

I do a little yoga, mostly for stretching... It is just sooo boring! But, yes, I need to throw some yoga into my workouts too
  • arkelanor
    Options
    Congratulations! Most people put injuries as an excuse rather than as a reson to think out of the box!

I have a TRX and I LOVE it. Not only I can do tons of exercises, but I can do my cardio, strength and stretch sessions with just one single thing. I usually go running (great with the small kid in the stroller, btw!) but after I'm done, I feel I need some strengthening workout which I find the TRX to be great for. I do legs somedays, arms and shoulders another, back and chest, or a core day (the one I love to hate). Then I add a few minutes of stretching and I'm done. I've had it for 2 years and I haven't gotten bored yet. There are SO many exercises on the web, both on their website and on YouTube. Magazines also feature occasional TRX exercises, which I clip and add to my routine to keep things fresh.

I tried other brands, but I honestly feel that they lacked in resistance and in quality. I thought that if I'm going to hang from this thing and put blind faith that it's going to resist, I'd rather get the good quality stuff, but that's me. My PT also told me that they have great customer service and that they replaced his videos for free when he lost them, but I haven't had to call them, so I don't know.

Good luck!
  • pamilapaynes
    Options
    I have gotten great results with trx exercises.
  • CaitlinedB
    CaitlinedB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use a TRX system at my gym and I love it. So much you can do on it and it challenges me every time I use it. I have back and knee injuries and I have been able to do every exercise in the classes. Highly recommended!
  • Sarabeth1980
    Options
    Congratulations! Most people put injuries as an excuse rather than as a reson to think out of the box!

I have a TRX and I LOVE it. Not only I can do tons of exercises, but I can do my cardio, strength and stretch sessions with just one single thing. I usually go running (great with the small kid in the stroller, btw!) but after I'm done, I feel I need some strengthening workout which I find the TRX to be great for. I do legs somedays, arms and shoulders another, back and chest, or a core day (the one I love to hate). Then I add a few minutes of stretching and I'm done. I've had it for 2 years and I haven't gotten bored yet. There are SO many exercises on the web, both on their website and on YouTube. Magazines also feature occasional TRX exercises, which I clip and add to my routine to keep things fresh.

I tried other brands, but I honestly feel that they lacked in resistance and in quality. I thought that if I'm going to hang from this thing and put blind faith that it's going to resist, I'd rather get the good quality stuff, but that's me. My PT also told me that they have great customer service and that they replaced his videos for free when he lost them, but I haven't had to call them, so I don't know.

Good luck!

Thanks! I used to run, but I have been told no more running... Between scoliosis and DDD my back just can't handle the impact :( So, here I am, trying new things. I cannot be "fat". I hate myself too much when I am. I am at a "healthy" weight, but I am not comfortable with where I am. I refuse to have excuses not to push myself, as I want to create healthy habits for my daughter. She has cystic fibrosis, so in her future being physically fit is going to be a huge benefit to her overall health.
  • CharisGtrs
    Options
    I think you'll really have fun with it. You can make your own straps for 20 dollars that will work great! I found a number of videos of
    how to make them on YouTube and combined a few of their ideas. Its certainly worth a 20 dollar investment, I wouldn't say its worth a 200 one to get the brand name one though.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think you'll really have fun with it. You can make your own straps for 20 dollars that will work great! I found a number of videos of
    how to make them on YouTube and combined a few of their ideas. Its certainly worth a 20 dollar investment, I wouldn't say its worth a 200 one to get the brand name one though.

$200 for rope is ridiculous. I only hate them because I'm jealous I didn't think of it.
  • CharisGtrs
    Options
    Haha! Agreed!