Anyone else having huge fluctuations in weight?

Options
I am a bit confused...I am still trending down..but I am fluctuating 3-4lbs a day on the scale. I mean I can understand 1-2 from water weight, but I am a bit confused about 3-4 or so...seeing as how I'm only down 8 as it is.

A bit of background:

I started 200lbs here about 45 days ago or so. I go to the gym for an hour 6-7 days a week (all depends if my body is too exhausted to make a day but never less then 6) I mix alot of strength training with 2 days of hard cardio. My goal is 170 as I have a pretty muscular build at 5'8. At 170 my Body Fat should be around 17% so I would be happy. I hit my calorie goals for the most part, I have the odd day where I "cheat" and really do bad, but they are not often...and those days dont really coincide with the spikes in weight.

So I weigh myself daily at the gym, with the same clothes (basically) at the end of the workout each time..so it is very consistent. Two days ago I weighed at 192, and yesterday at 196. This has been happening for the last 30 days or so. In a few days I'm sure i'll weigh 190-191, but then 195 or so. So while I'm not really complaining since I'm losing...I'm a bit confused and curious if I am doing something wrong that could be holding me back from seeing greater results.

Again, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing until told otherwise because I'm seeing weight loss...slow and steady...but still a loss.

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    No one having these type of results?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    First - everyone has these types of issues. Weight can typically fluctuate up to 5lbs a day.

Second - you are exercising a lot. Your muscles are retaining water to help repair themselves. Take a couple of rest days and your weight should go down.

Third - put away the scale for a month. Keep doing what you are doing. Take measurements. In a month, weigh yourself and take your measurements again. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Edit to say that you should read this to make sure you have the right calorie goal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yup, my weight does the same thing, especially if I am doing a long running workout. I track my weight on an Excel graph and I see the same you described: trending downward, but a wavy pattern. Gaining 3-4 pounds is very common. It drops rapidly over the following few days. Its caused by the inflammation in your muscles, which is just more fluid. One pint of water adds about a pound. It easy to hold an extra quart or two of water in your muscles if you've done a harder workout.

I say, you're fine. Carry on. :)
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Mine has been doing the same thing as well, I started at 209lbs and today when I weighed myself before breakfast (and after peeing) i was 213lbs! I was horrified, and being someone who has a history of body dysmorphia I was on the verge of tears (instead I ate breakfast and biked to the mall haha). I agree with water retention, I biked 34km yesterday and my legs/knees are a bit sore so it's possible my muscles are retaining water from such a massive workout.