will cutting gluten help my migraines?

Options
13»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have a headache almost every day. I read that this may be because of the lack of magnesium in my body.
    I don't know anything about the gluten free diet.
    I get so desperate, that I carry my migraine meds with me at all times.

I suffer from migraines and cluster headaches. The clusters are worse, they are nicknamed the suicide headache. My last round lasted 3 months. No meds have ever helped either one. I tried magnesium and had good results. I did a lot of research first. It worked for me. It works for a lot of people. Some people have no results with it. Like anything else, you just have to try it.

I would not suggest taking a large amount to begin with, unless you will close to a bathroom at all times. I only take 250 mg a day now and it seems to be keeping them away. When I first started the intensity went down a bit and after about 2 weeks they stopped. Some people get injections.

Try it and see, it might help. I also had to go gluten free and it did not affect my headaches at all.

It's one of those things where finding the trigger can be difficult. I was very reluctant about the magnesium but was desperate. My cluster headaches wake me up and night and come in three's. They are worse than migraines, mine only last 45 minutes to an hour but I have to stand up the entire time. But when you have three a night and go without sleep so long you are willing to do anything.

I was also getting the cluster migraines before I started taking the TOPIRIMATE. Maybe you should suggest this and try it? I forgot to mention the clusters. They suck the worst! Mine would last for days on end, just as I'd get comfortable enough to be able to deal with the pain I'd have to move for some reason and it would throb all over again. UNBEARABLE. I would not wish any of these pains on my worst enemy. My best to you! Good luck with yours.

I have been on that and several other drugs. They did not help. I said no meds have ever helped. That is the reason I looked for other ways. Migraines can come in clusters, although usually don't. Cluster headaches are not migraine headaches. Clusters will come at the exact same time anywhere from a few days to a few months. You could set an alarm by it. Being still and in a cool environment do not help. The most common issues reported are having to stand up and pace, or keep your head moving a little. Some people get to the point where they start banging their heads into walls. A small percentage have to live in assisted living homes. There is a reason they are called suicide headaches. Migraine pain is horrible and can last for days. Clusters do not respond to pain meds. I was even put on heavy sedatives at one point in the hopes they wouldn't wake me up. Didn't work.

From my own research and talking to doctors I learned that for some unknown reason most sufferers have a magnesium deficiency in their brains. I decided to give it a try. It worked for me. I did learn quickly though to start with a small dose. I take drugs when I have to, am not against it. I prefer to fix what I can with food or supplements and save the drugs for something they can actually help with.
    I have actually banged my head against the wall while having a cluster headache. They are horrible!! I seriously would rather be dead than have them and I totally understand the 'suicide headache' title. The only thing that works for me is breathing in Oxygen. My neurologist gave me a prescription for it and it has worked for me the last 3 times I've had the headache. Anyone who has cluster headaches should try this or at least see if the Dr in your ER will give you some.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things, have you ever had an allergy test? You could see what you truly are allergic to.

I know a lot of people link artificial sweeteners to migraines and headaches.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I have a headache almost every day. I read that this may be because of the lack of magnesium in my body.
    I don't know anything about the gluten free diet.
    I get so desperate, that I carry my migraine meds with me at all times.

I suffer from migraines and cluster headaches. The clusters are worse, they are nicknamed the suicide headache. My last round lasted 3 months. No meds have ever helped either one. I tried magnesium and had good results. I did a lot of research first. It worked for me. It works for a lot of people. Some people have no results with it. Like anything else, you just have to try it.

I would not suggest taking a large amount to begin with, unless you will close to a bathroom at all times. I only take 250 mg a day now and it seems to be keeping them away. When I first started the intensity went down a bit and after about 2 weeks they stopped. Some people get injections.

Try it and see, it might help. I also had to go gluten free and it did not affect my headaches at all.

It's one of those things where finding the trigger can be difficult. I was very reluctant about the magnesium but was desperate. My cluster headaches wake me up and night and come in three's. They are worse than migraines, mine only last 45 minutes to an hour but I have to stand up the entire time. But when you have three a night and go without sleep so long you are willing to do anything.

I was also getting the cluster migraines before I started taking the TOPIRIMATE. Maybe you should suggest this and try it? I forgot to mention the clusters. They suck the worst! Mine would last for days on end, just as I'd get comfortable enough to be able to deal with the pain I'd have to move for some reason and it would throb all over again. UNBEARABLE. I would not wish any of these pains on my worst enemy. My best to you! Good luck with yours.

Please be wary of taking dopamax (aka Topirimate). I was on it for over 2 years...and it worked just fine for a little while and then the horrible daily headaches came back. Neuro upped the dose...again I was ok for a while...then it happened again. While it worked I was very happy, however there are some drawbacks. Portions of my face would go numb and I developed a nasty twitch in my eye and lip. I became VERY forgetful...that was the worst. I also had the initial reaction of anything carbonated tasting like crap-this continued through my entire run with the drug and now after being off of it for well over 6 months I still can drink nothing carbonated.

I've been suffering for years and stress and barometric changes are the only triggers I've found-have not yet tried cutting gluten. I find that sticking to a consistent exercise program, drinking enough water, sticking to a regular sleep pattern and not eating crap food are the best way to control mine. I can't control the weather and the summertime sucks for them but I've learned how to work with my body.

Just be wary of drugs...
  • susanstar88
    susanstar88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Seriously? See a doctor now -- please! I've been a migraine sufferer for nearly 15-18 years ... had tried to eliminate all types of foods & tried all types of suggestions - don't laugh, pressure changes & full moons were a large impact on mine. GO SEE A DOCTOR & I recommend a neurologist right from the start - mine were so horrible that I could not stand, sit or drive myself to the doctor for an injection (and that is the only way I could tolerate the pain). I've been on preventative medication & abortive medication for nearly 12-years and for the past 3-years have hardly taken the abortive meds. That means - no migraines for me. And, no mine were not hormonal either, not caused by food or stress . Although they made me crazy (LOL).

If you have continual migraines, see the right type of doctor & do not mess with trying or stopping various vitamins or foods. There are many preventative medications which are now generic - those which did cost a lot each month can be purchased as a generic brands and will save you & your family from much heartache and the stress of living with the horrible pain of migraines or when they will strike next. I lived with that horrible fear for many years -- we laugh about it now -- but looking back on our lives then and the struggles I went thru, the dark rooms and never knowing when the next would strike ... it was horrible. I never miss my preventative medication and although I do not 'need' my preventative medication -- I never travel without a supply (just in case). Good luck and I hope you find a great doctor ... first have an MRI to make certain there are no underlying causes and then find the right preventative medication with a back up abortive (it might take a couple of tries)... but you will be happy & pain free when you find the right one. Wishing you luck!
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I suffer from migraines and am currently being treated by a neurologist who specializes in headache/migraine treatment. My suggestion to you is to get a referral to someone who treats headaches. They will work with you to treat your headaches in a preventative fashion.

While there are truly people out there with Gluten Intolerance, Celiac disease and such, I believe there are many people who are using gluten as a "culprit" for many things it is not. I work in the medical profession. Right now Gluten is the bad guy, pick up any magazine, look in any book store and you will see a whole lot of books on the subject. My point is, not all health problems are related to gluten. Some definitely are.

What you can do for yourself while you are waiting to see a doctor is go to the book store or library and find the book called The Migraine Brain. I can't recall the authors right now, but it is full of invaluable information on how to treat, how figure out your triggers, websites and what you can do to help yourself.

A couple of things I have learned and do. I eat cleanly. I eat a high protein breakfast within an hour of waking up, every day. I try to go to bed and get up the same time every day, even on week ends. I avoid TV and computers for about an hour before bedtime. I try to get some exercise every day for at least 10 minutes. If you know your triggers, avoid them. Drink water, lots of water during the day. Avoid foods and fluids with red dyes in them.

I used to have migraines almost daily, I now have about 4 to 6 a month. I think the biggest thing that changed for me was getting enough sleep at night, I now sleep a good 6-7 hours as opposed to 5 hours if I was lucky. And the higher protein breakfast is really important, if I miss out on that I will get a headache. Good luck to you.
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i am under a neurologist for my migraine but he hasnt put me on anyhting to help them he thinks they are just stress migraines but they have started before that which he doesnt really listen to me. thanks again guys. xxx
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It could be gluten, it could be dairy or some other intolerance as well.

Migraines and food intolerances run on the my mother's side of the family. Everyone in my mother's family suffers from bad migraines all the time. A couple of years ago my Aunt decided to cut dairy completely out of her diet. Since then, she hasn't had a single migraine! Give that a shot as well.

Or, for a faster solution, go see a naturopath or homeopath and get a food sensitivity blood test done. I just had one done yesterday. The results should be in, in 2-3 weeks. If you have group benefits from work, or health insurance, it should be covered.

Or an allergist.

And yes, weather does affect it. My son and I can get them within seconds of each other when the weather changes.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    i am under a neurologist for my migraine but he hasnt put me on anyhting to help them he thinks they are just stress migraines but they have started before that which he doesnt really listen to me. thanks again guys. xxx

Then find a new doctor. Seriously. They should be listening to you, not just side-stepping your thoughts.

Good luck!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    You can get rid of your migraines with a nutritarian diet. Check the link for more info.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/Headaches.aspx

How much did you get paid for that plug?

I wish I had a nickel for every time I plugged Dr. Fuhrman. I'd be a rich man. :bigsmile:
    Honestly, I'm just a big fan of the plan.