Any low cal nacho options?

Options
wedge421
wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
I love nachos...almost as much as pizza. Do you guys have any "healthier" versions of nachos that you like? Thanks!

Replies

• DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am what you could call an Improv chef, I perfer to make my meal on the fly w'o recipes...But that puts you in luck because you caused one to pop into mind.

I use white corn tortillas and depending on the brand it is around 90-110 cal for 2 of them. If you took them cut in about 8ths, and baked til crispy there are you nacho chips. For the cheese and meat? Well the thing that instantly poped in my head was using boiled or slow cooked shredded chicken and mix it with refried black beans, salsa, cheese of choice (if you watch the shredded you can find some "melt" cheese blends for around 100 cal), taco seasoning, and a few oz of skim milk to thin it out slightly. If you tinker with that you should be good to go. =)
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A small portion
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use low fat ground meat (turkey or beef), fat free refried beans, reduced fat (not fat free, it's weird) cheese, chopped onion, jalapeno, tomato and cilantro. I'm not a fan of baked chips, but those would further cut calories, or you could toast up a Flat Out brand whole grain wrap (90 cal for the whole thing).

Also, if you are using a premixed seasoning, look for one that is low sodium so you don't bloat up with water weight.

Chopped avacado is a yummy & healthy addition, but it will drive up the calories.
  • ep3926
    ep3926 Posts: 8
    Options
    I really wanted nachos for lunch today, but I'm off of all cheese and chips. I am allowed 1/2 cup of fat free refried beans. So I put that on the plate, added diced tomatoes, lots of hot sauce, and cooked an egg and a couple of egg whites. Microwave the beans, tomatoes and hot sauce while you fry the eggs in a non-stick pan with no butter. Place the eggs on top of bean mixture. Filled me up and solved the craving. Could have added sliced jalapeno. Didn't need the chips or the cheese after all.
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    bump