Strength Training

Options
How does one track strength training?

I generally do 4 different strength training machines per workout with 3 sets of 12 reps, using a moderate weight.

Help!

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i dont track my strength training, unless i do it for more than an hour.....otherwise i chalk it up to extra burn!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Under the cario section seach for Strength training and put the total time it took and it will give you your cals burned.

You can also enter it under strenght training, just put in the exercises sets and reps but this will not count cals burned.
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    For an accurate amount of calories burn consider using a heart rate monitor. Before using one the caculation given by MFP was much higher than what my HRM said, which made a big difference in the amount of calories I was to consume! Especially since I do strength training anywhere from 50 - 60 minutes.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I tried keeping track of the my sets on MFP but it took too long to enter it.

I keep a notebook where I write down which excersise I did, reps, and weights. I also keep track of the date, time, how I felt. Because I write everything down after each excersise my notebook is all wrinkly at the bottom from sweating on it.:bigsmile:

I also know if I spend an hour in my basement "lifting", 30 minutes of that is actual lifting.

I log my weight training under cardio. I don't really care how many calories it burns. Most of the calorie burn from the weight training is not measurable with a HRM because it takes place several hours after you work out, and when you sleep.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training along with my 30 day shred circuit routine - so on days when I do just 30 day shred I log 20 minutes circuit training, and on days when I do both I log 35 or 40 minutes circuit training. I just roll the weights work in with the circuit stuff. It's close enough.

So I do my first set of all my strength exercises, then I go straight into the shred workout, then I go for my second set of weights work. Interestingly,,, I am stronger and get more reps with more weight the second time around. I'm getting a dozen dips now! :bigsmile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For an accurate amount of calories burn consider using a heart rate monitor. Before using one the caculation given by MFP was much higher than what my HRM said, which made a big difference in the amount of calories I was to consume! Especially since I do strength training anywhere from 50 - 60 minutes.

Heart rate monitors cannot be used to estimate calories expended during strength training, esp the training routine described by the OP.

Different physiological mechanism than cardio.

In general, the direct calories expended during strength training is too small a number to be logged directly IMO. The weight-loss benefits/effects of strength training are significant, but not easily quantifiable. I suppose if you wanted to count your post-workout "snack" as being equal to the calories expended during the workout, that might be one good way of doing it, as long as the snack is less than 200 Calories.