I need help!!!

Options
My name is Marie and I'm 5'3. CW is 136. GW is 125.

I was 140 before the birth of my second son. That was my lowest weight ever up till then. I ate around 2200 calories while pregnant and kept up a good workout routine. When I had my son I was around 170. Well I lost it all and more by eating around 2000 calories, breastfeeding and working out. I would exercise on my treadmill at home 30-40 min 5xs a week. Burning around 350-500 calories per workout. I wasn't counting calories. I was indulging every week at least once. On weekends we would go out to eat and I'd eat whatever. I was breastfeeding but by the end I was feeding once a day. Then I maintained 125 well after stopping breastfeeding all together. Then I decided to try for 120. I started running harder. More miles, longer workout. I gained. I tried eating cleaner, I gained. I tried cutting calories. I gain. I tried circuit training and weight lifting and different forms of workouts. I've been to the doctor and a trainer, I've had my thyroid levels checked.

I was around 133 and decided to up my calories. I WAS netting 1200 calories for awhile and all I did was gain. So I upped the net to 1550 3 weeks ago and have gained a few lbs. I eat around 2000 calories a day TOTAL and workout 70 minutes 5 times a week if not more. This includes 50 min of cardio and 20 of weights. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated but don't be harsh!!

What really frustrates me is that I used to be 125 and eat the same and workout less.

Please help!

Replies

• BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was doing the net 1200 calorie diet for 3 months. Ever since I joined MFP since that is what it suggested. It helped me lose a few lbs initially but then I just got stuck for months. Plus I was always hungry and felt like crap.
  • jenhelle
    jenhelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will be able to help, but I am in the same boat. I am 5'2 at 138, & was 128 a couple of years ago.
    If anything, you could be overtraining.
    I have started doing what I did to get to 128 before. I am doing 40 minute sprints on the treadmill everyday. This week, I have started weights again, twice a week so I don't lose too much strength. I like lifting weights, a lot, but it wasn't working. Maybe my body just needs more cardio. IDK.
    I would look into getting a fitbit if I were you. The numbers don't lie. I am loving mine so far. Thought I lost it yesteray, & freaked out. Lol
    Are you tired at all? I think you should try 30 minutes cardio, & 20 minute weights, & ssee how you feel. What are your total calories now?
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've been very consistant. So have you tried the ooposite? have you tried zig zagging your calories? You eat the same amount of calories per week you just mix it up, high one day low the next average for a copule days. It forces you to eat new things to get all those different levels and your body doesn't know what to expect. Sometime it helps..
  • BluthLover
    Options
    I don't think I will be able to help, but I am in the same boat. I am 5'2 at 138, & was 128 a couple of years ago.
    If anything, you could be overtraining.
    I have started doing what I did to get to 128 before. I am doing 40 minute sprints on the treadmill everyday. This week, I have started weights again, twice a week so I don't lose too much strength. I like lifting weights, a lot, but it wasn't working. Maybe my body just needs more cardio. IDK.
    I would look into getting a fitbit if I were you. The numbers don't lie. I am loving mine so far. Thought I lost it yesteray, & freaked out. Lol
    Are you tired at all? I think you should try 30 minutes cardio, & 20 minute weights, & ssee how you feel. What are your total calories now?

I do want to get a fitbit! I'm concerned if anything I am eating too little calories. My total calories are around 2000 everyday which makes my net around 1500 because my workouts usually burn 500 calories. I am going by the gym machines. I plug my weight into them and I hope they are accurate!! I chase my kids around all day. I rarely sit. So I wonder how many calories I burn everyday without even working out. According to the numbers I have ran according to a "moderate" activity level its around 1750 calories. Thanks for replying Jen. It helps to have support!
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Sounds like you've been very consistant. So have you tried the ooposite? have you tried zig zagging your calories? You eat the same amount of calories per week you just mix it up, high one day low the next average for a copule days. It forces you to eat new things to get all those different levels and your body doesn't know what to expect. Sometime it helps..

I have not tried this but would be willing to!! My concern is with every "new" thing I have tried i have gained!! But this is a good idea. Thanks :)
  • peachyt12
    Options
    I'm very much in the same boat. For me, my metabolism has slowed greatly since having DD2. My goal weight is 110 (still not what I was before pre-kids, but I'll take it), and am currently 120 depending on the day. For me, I need to greatly watch my carb and sugar intake. These are things I NEVER had to do before. My biggest success weight-wise comes when I stick to lots of lean proteins and cut out my desserts. I also found it helpful to use the lean cuisine trays to portion out my meals. When I was pregnant and nursing, my portion sizes grew and I forgot what the "right" amount to eat looked like.

I used to run and found that for some reason, it didn't help me lose weight (gained, in fact). I figured it was a combination of not burning as much as the calculators said I did and over-fueling. I've heard many people say to add in different types of workouts too, as your body will get used to something and not work out as efficiently as possible. I would also suggest monitoring your heart rate during cardio, as you want to get it to a specific level for maximum calorie burning potential.
  • mollieflynn
    Options

I totally agree with this! When I hit a plateau in my weight loss, I take a week off. I work out less and eat more calories. I may gain a pound or two during the week off. But, I lose them and more as soon as I get back on track. It has worked every time.
  • sava624
    sava624 Posts: 19
    Options
    this has happened me several times in my weightloss journey- and in the earlier times I just held on but now as i am getting lower weight i found that 1200 was my base line daily for calories, however i differ each day so
    Monday 1200
    tuesday 1050
    wednesday 1250
    thursday 1100
    friday
  • sava624
    sava624 Posts: 19
    Options
    sorry i must have hit enter- however you get the picture- i held the higher caloried days for working days as i am ten hours on my feet that day- i dont stick to those days as my working week changes however i find that it is working and my weightloss has steadied out - i also have started adding jogging to my routine- only 1 minute in 5 is a jog on a hourly work out but i got this tip on mfp from someone maybe it will help you too- dont look back- that person has gone and the new you is here to stay- its a choice you made to eat and live healthy and keep reinforcing that to yourself as we work too hard to go back to where we were...let us know how you get on...keep the faith!