Misophonia.....hatred of sound

Options
People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by such ordinary sounds as other people eating, breathing, sniffing, or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.People with misophonia may be diagnosed with mood or anxiety disorders as well as obsessive-compulsive disorder. Though a few sufferers are bothered by sounds they make themselves, most are not.

^^
This is so me! Anyone else just get pissed off by the sound of chewing...bags rustling....snot sniffling....etc.?!?!

Replies

• desertrat01
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea.lol That describes me to a tee. Now I have an excuse.lol
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    When I hear someone crunching, I want to pick something up and smash them with it. Same goes for when they chew with their mouths open and sound like a cow. I work with a guy that crunches pretzels and have to leave my desk before I hit him with my chair! LOL!!! So yes, those sounds and some others really piss me off.
  • CanadianThunder
    Options
    When I hear someone crunching, I want to pick something up and smash them with it. Same goes for when they chew with their mouths open and sound like a cow. I work with a guy that crunches pretzels and have to leave my desk before I hit him with my chair! LOL!!! So yes, those sounds and some others really piss me off.

THIS! I freaking hate this.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by such ordinary sounds as other people eating, breathing, sniffing, or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.People with misophonia may be diagnosed with mood or anxiety disorders as well as obsessive-compulsive disorder. Though a few sufferers are bothered by sounds they make themselves, most are not.

^^
    This is so me! Anyone else just get pissed off by the sound of chewing...bags rustling....snot sniffling....etc.?!?!

I think everyone gets annoyed by bags rustling and snot sniffling if its repetitive enough. Doesn't mean you have misophonia.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Holy *kitten* you just found my problem for me! I hate hearing someone chew, breath heavy (unless during sex of course), and snoring.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Oh and the sound of velcro being pulled? *kitten* that *kitten*!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    This is me to a T, including the anxiety. My boyfriend knows not to eat around me unless its something that doesnt involve a lot of chewing.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Quiet!! Quiet!! I said, I said I want Quiet!!!
    200px-Yosemite_Sam.png \m/
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I saw a show on this and thought it was ridiculous. A teenager girl threw the biggest tantrum I've ever seen because you mom sighed 'too loudly'. She flew off the handle, started screaming and slamming doors. Certain noises can get on my nerves but I don't become enraged over them.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I hate the sound of tape measures retracting. *shudder*
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is totally me! The list of sounds that make me feel stabby is crazy long. :laugh:
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I had no idea that was actually a condition - I just assumed people pissed me off. I even get ticked off when people talk too much - just shut up already I need quiet!!!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I saw a show on this and thought it was ridiculous. A teenager girl threw the biggest tantrum I've ever seen because you mom sighed 'too loudly'. She flew off the handle, started screaming and slamming doors. Certain noises can get on my nerves but I don't become enraged over them.

And my guess is that this is the difference between general annoyance and misophonia. Gotta love how everyone is self diagnosing themselves based on a thread on a fitness site.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I hate the sound of a thong makes when it's been wedged way up in there too long!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not bothered by specific sounds. Loud noises, I don't care for much. It seems if I'm in a place where the noise level is particularly high, I can't distinguish what people are saying to me from the other noises around me. Then, I get frustrated and overwhelmed from trying to pick out the voice from all the other sounds around me. Don't know if that is the same thing.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Ear plugs, duct tape, head phones, duct tape, helmet. Is that quiet enough you little *kitten*?
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I saw that same show. There were others too, that really shocked me.

I'll admit that certain noises bother me too. Not to the point of rage, though! The sound of someone blowing their nose at the dinner table really gets me! Oh wait, that is probably just because its AT THE DINNER TABLE! haha Never mind!
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/05/18/safer-for-misophonics-2020s-misophonia-coverage/

Part 1 is about the girl I was referring to. She beats on her mom for making sounds such as swallowing or TALKING.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Upon reflection, I think I might have mild hearing loss which is no way related to this disorder. Too many rock concerts in my twenties... ::sigh::
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    THIS IS SO ME! I have never heard of it! When the TV is too loud for a bit, my ears actually ring and HURT!

For this reason, I exercise without headphones! I was going to post that question to see what other people listen to or not listen to, and then I saw this!

I wonder if this is related to sensory processing disabilities.