High protein vegetarian meals

Options
My boyfriend and I have been apart for well over a year now while he's been working on a client site in Detroit, but the project's wrapping up next weekend and he's finally coming home :heart: :heart: :heart: . He's vegetarian and I'm not, but when he's home I want to cook vegetarian dinners we can share together/take for lunch the next day. We both need a lot of protein - I'm lifting 3X a week, and he's gotten pretty "skinny-fat" during this project and wants to start hitting the weights hard. Any vegetarians out there with a high-protein diet whose diaries I could take a look at? Recipes are also appreciated =)

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to look at mine, but don't be shocked to see some meat in there as I'm not 100% veg right now. I get my highest protein days on veg only days.

I love making my own Seitan <3
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    theppk.com

Vegan site. :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tempeh, Tofu, beans, etc.

And what do you mean by lots of protein? I get between 60-90g/day which is pretty standard and should be enough for most people to support muscle growth. When I was lifting 5 days/week, I was increasing strength pretty fast with a similar diet as I'm doing now.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 70-90g. I'm pretty good with tofu but I've never cooked with tempeh....basically the same thing but more nutritious, right?
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tempeh is different than tofu. It has a more firm structure. One of my favorite things is tempeh croutons to put onto salads such as this:
    http://www.consciouswellness.net/2009/02/tempeh-croutons/

It also generally needs to be steamed prior to cooking as some people find it bitter otherwise (I don't though).
  • lilmisssunshine23
    Options
    Check the protein content of different beans too, and use that when making choices. If I remember correctly, lentils have a lot more protein than other types. You could use them to top salads and stuff too. Also, replace rice or other grains with quinuoa.
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think I eat around 3-5 eggs a day... they're just so yummy. Depending on whether you eat "clean" or not, vegetarian "meat" products can be really good, I particularly like Gardein brand. Beans & dairy are also good. I've never tried tofu, tempeh, or quinoa, but they're supposed to be good protein sources. And lentil soup is good too :D
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I manage reasonable protein intake for a vege. I've been on holiday for a few weeks, but you're welcome to have a look at my diary for the last couple of days, and go back a few weeks and look there too, if it helps.

You want to ensure you include a good mix of proteins - dairy based, beans, lentils, soya products an 'fake meats' (quorn is my go-to product...)

I know a lot of people don't like to use low fat dairy, but one of my favourite lunches is a ball of low fat mozzarella, with sliced tomatoes and basil leaves, drizzled with balsamic and a little olive oil. It's really good, very high in protein, and comes in with reasonable calories.

Also, get yourselves some good quality greek yoghurt. Again, I tend to go low fat, but that's not necessary. I mix it with some honey and a handful of nuts, and that's a typical late evening snack for me, while I'm watching tv.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bookmarking! xo
  • SanFranFrisky
    Options
    seitan, if you're not averse to gluten is rich in the protein department and pretty hearty.

i eat a lot of tempeh made into a salad (veganaise, celery, herbs all mashed up together). Tofu isn't substantial enough for me most of the time, hence the tempeh and seitan. i also eat a lot of beans prepared different ways. i've been working so much lately that i've been eating more peanut butter and packaged stuff than i like (more sugar and salt than my body wants).

someone else said theppk.com which is awesome. i could feed myself for half a year from those recipes and not get bored. :)

good luck to you!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have been aiming to hit at least 100g protein a day, my diary is open and your more than welcomed to look through it! I eat about 1700-1900 calories a day! :)
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    vegetarian chili made very chunky (extra kidney/red/black beans)

Bean salad (beans plus some parmesan cheese and a light italian like dressing (regular, balsamic vinegrettes, your favorite in that category) This is served cold.

Greek yogurts I think have been mentions

Nuts

If you are crazy enough to do homemade breads you can do nuts chopped so finely they are ALMOST powdered and replace some of the flour with nuts for flavor and to increase the proteins.

All the "fake meat" products.

(I'm not a vegetarian, but one of my kids had a severe meat sensitivity until she was about 5, and we were able to get enough protein in her during these sensitive developmental early years. She STILL loves vegetarian food, despite an intense liking for steak, she's not a fan of any other kind of meat really, and she runs track competitively, and is getting enough protein through MOSTLY vegetarian sources to keep up with that)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Omelets!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.

I put it in everything. Salad dressings, sarnies, with pasta, on pizza, on fruit, in soup. yeh :P
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a great source of protein! I like partly skimmed mozzarella, as it has great texture and taste while being lower in calories.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    quinoa. has all the amino acids that meat does