Strange reaction to buying smaller clothes :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yep it's a lose/lose situation it seems. I had to get new sz 5 jeans for work and while I was ecstatic that I fit into a 5 I felt like everyone could see everything!!! I wasnt protected by the loose baggy slacks I was wearing before. I know it looks much better to wear clothes that fit, but I found myself trying to stretch them out as well as my shirt so that it was loose on me... So weird. But agree with other posters use it as motivation to continue your journey, defeat this pant size and move on to the next! It's such a high walking out of a store with new smaller sized clothes!!
  • deedeehauge
    Options
    Yup! Been there! Actually, there now... stinks! Don't get discouraged, you are doing an amazing job!
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't like when my clothes are baggy. I think I eat more that way too, because I don't feel the tightness around my belly. Even drinking water and feeling the tightness reminds me to lighten up on eating. I haven't replaced the clothes since last summer and have been at a plateau, so I'm looking to get rid of the big stuff and get a couple of smaller sized pants.

When I look in the mirror in the tighter, smaller clothes, I see the progress. When my clothes are too big, I look sloppy. I remember a couple people saying they keep the big clothes "just in case they gain all the weight back" I don't want to do that, so mentally I get rid of the clothes and commit to keeping the weight off.
  • gts175
    gts175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You lost 42 pounds!!!! That is awesome. Dwell on that when in doubt. Many people who want to, are never able to make the commitment you have made and have such great success. I have had part of that same experience. What happens is when you wear clothes that fit, you look more the way we are supposed to look in our clothes. People just don't notice that as much.

You are creating a new image of yourself in people's mind as "that person that looks like this". It is replacing the image of you as" the bigger person who lost some weight and now has baggy clothes". Try to EMBRACE THE NEW HEALTHIER IMAGE. Thin people just don't go around commenting on other's thinness very much and bigger people are often a little discouraged that they have not been able to accomplish what you have so, they won't continue to comment either.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight the way you have been (and good job, by the way!). The NEW jeans will be loose soon enough.

Awesome job! Keep it up!

Remember, the day will come when you'll be over this need to conceal, because there won't be anything to conceal.

The desire to conceal may persist long after the need is gone. This is normal, don't worry about it.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. It does help. I am definitely glad I have come this far and will just try and relax and enjoy it. Plan on doing some photos tomorrow too.
    I dont intend to keep any of my big clothes at all, not planning on wearing them again! I may keep one for comparison, but that is it!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from with that feeling too. I've also just gone down 2 trouser sizes but managed to get into a pair 3 sizes down so bought those instead. Although they are a cosy fit at the moment I didn't see the point in buying a size up and I'm using that tightness to remind myself I can't put any back on, they also make me look much smaller than the baggy ones! You will soon notice they are becoming looser and in the meantime you'll be showing a much smaller silhouette! Well done on your loss!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what you mean. I bought some new pants as well and at first was SUPER happy and then didnt enjoy it as much cuz it felt like I was back to square 1- my roll is peeking out again! lol

But I have to constantly remind myself, I am wearing size X now! this is great! Its all in our minds! Although I've dropped about 25 lbs I still feel like i look the same. I still see myself as I did before- it will take time! Hang in there!!! Know that we all go through these emotions, its part of the process :)

Good luck!
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I feel like this too. Seems I prefer my pants loose because it makes me feel better lol. But continue your journey and you shall feel those pants loose once again!
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    First of all congrats on the weight loss! That's a great NSV. Do you tend to wear baggy clothes to hide your body? I think that could be the reason why you'd rather wear loose clothes. In reality, baggy clothes make people look bigger so think of it that way. You did great and keep telling yourself that you are thinner than you used to be, that's an achievement in itself. Stay positive! xx
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Celebrate your loss - take a new photo in your skinny clothes and post it on the fridge with one of your old photos .... you will learn that you do look better and begin to realize even though the clothes seem tighter, that you ARE smaller!:flowerforyou:
  • LikesVeges
    LikesVeges Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been purchasing some jeans at the Goodwill. Amazing how many good jeans you can get there. Anyway I started out at size 20, then got some 18s, 16s, 14s, and even some 12s. I got these on dollar day or at my local thrift store where stuff is only 50 cents. I buy the ones that look like new. As I get smaller I take them back and donate them, it's like renting clothes. Really helps with the budget and keeps the closet in check. So far I am now in the 14s. I noticed a couple were loose so tried a 12. Almost there. Since all my pants used to have elastic waists wearing jeans feels good. I still have a lot to lose but as I go down in jean size they are tighter and have a muffin top hanging over. But I tell myself how far I have come from a 20 down to a 14 even though they were tight. I still feel really good and even better as they get looser. Just remind yourself how far you have come. Good luck!!

This is a great idea! Especially jeans! I'm totally going to do this! How great that you are down, too, as well as the original poster! Congrats.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have lost sixty-eight pounds and hae gone form a size 22W to a 14. For me I was so thrilled to need smaller clothes that I donated the fat clothes ASAP. When clothes become too big for me I donate them to charity. In my town there are actually donation bins set up at different sites where you can just drive up and donate clothes and shoes.