Fake Sugars, are they worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOO! :noway: OMG....please don't use fake sugars. If you need sugar, use regular sugar. Those fake sugars are so processed with many carcinogenic ingrediants. I mean, they are all the rage, but too many are linked to cancer. Oh, please anyone reading this...don't sacrifice your body's shape to save a few calories...it's not worth risking cancer.

I may be crazy, but all the diet drugs (alli included)...are linked to cancer causing agents. Love your body..keep it natural.

I'm not sure about all the other "fake" sugars, but there have been hundreds of experiments run with Splenda, and there has been no solid evidence linking Splenda to cancer. See my post up above a little bit - it is a link to a solid academic study that summarizes the information that is out there.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Use real sugar...if for no other reason than to work on cutting it back and retraining your tastebuds to like less sweetness. I use 1 tbsp sugar and a generous dose of cinnamon - adding that flavour tends to "extend" the sweetening. I also put 1 tbsp of walnuts in it for protein. Then I'm satisfied with only a half cup of oatmeal. The nuts also make me slow down when I'm eating it, so it catches up with me and makes me feel full sooner.
  • jenners22
    Options
    NOOOOOO! :noway: OMG....please don't use fake sugars. If you need sugar, use regular sugar. Those fake sugars are so processed with many carcinogenic ingrediants. I mean, they are all the rage, but too many are linked to cancer. Oh, please anyone reading this...don't sacrifice your body's shape to save a few calories...it's not worth risking cancer.

I may be crazy, but all the diet drugs (alli included)...are linked to cancer causing agents. Love your body..keep it natural.

I'm not sure about all the other "fake" sugars, but there have been hundreds of experiments run with Splenda, and there has been no solid evidence linking Splenda to cancer. See my post up above a little bit - it is a link to a solid academic study that summarizes the information that is out there.

I read it and while it does say all the things you mentioned, it wasn't published in any medical journal. I get all my research information from medical journals. It's the only thing I can "trust" on the internet. LOL :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I read it and while it does say all the things you mentioned, it wasn't published in any medical journal. I get all my research information from medical journals. It's the only thing I can "trust" on the internet. LOL :)

Fair enough - I did look into the site before posting the link, and it is an organization that publishes/honors top undergraduate research papers. The paper itself cites a variety of professional research publications, such as "Food Chemical Toxology," "Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology," and "Psychology & Behavior." While this may not be published in a medical journal, I personally consider it legitimate enough to use as a source of information.

I went to the Mayo Clinic's website and they give the following information on Aritificial sweeteners:
    "Artificial sweeteners are often the subject of stories, presented in the popular press and on the Internet, claiming that they cause a variety of health problems, including cancer. According to the National Cancer Institute, however, there's no scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the United States cause cancer. And numerous studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are safe for the general population. "
    (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073/NSECTIONGROUP=2)

Given all the info I've read, I think it's misleading to say that artificial sweeteners cause cancer. There doesn't appear to be any scientific evidence of this link. Normal refined sugar isn't all that great for you - I think the same rule applies to "real" or "fake" sugar - use them in moderation and you should be fine.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I cannot tolerate splenda - I get intestinal issues from it, and I HATE the way it makes my coffee taste. Equal or Twin is my choice. My Dad uses Stevia, I tried it and couldn't find the balance I liked for taste.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Oatmeal is a carb that makes me hungrier ? I need some protein for satiety.

While oatmeal IS a carb, it's a high-fiber, whole, natural carb that, if I'm not mistaken, has the highest protein level per gram of any grain. Oatmeal good.... :love:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Add a yogurt to it - there is some protein.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Then you should know that splenda doesn't cause cancer as there are plenty of studies in medical journals that show no link between Splenda consumption and cancer.
  • Samantha1987
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

I started the post and promised I'd reply back.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Since my last post till now, I've basically got accustomed to a not as sweet taste for the oatmeal, it doesn't even bother me anymore.

I've even reached the point, where I've cut out the butter completely.

I did try Splenda, it wasn't bad at all. No after taste.

I've got both in my cabinet, Sun Crystals/Splenda - so I'll probably just alternate between the two.

Either way, both "sugars," dropped my breakfast to around 315 cals versus almost 500 a bowl.

Thanks, Samantha