First 5K Fears

Options
amytag
amytag Posts: 206 Member
I'm in week 7 of C25K, and am thinking about doing a 5k tomorrow evening (random opportunity came up). I am so scared of actually signing up and doing one, so I think being spontaneous like this might be the only way to accomplish it.

I can jog 25-30 minutes but I'm slow - like maybe 12 minute mile. I am afraid I'll finish last, or be lapped by 70 year olds.

What do you think? Should I just do it and walk what I need to, in order to get over the fear? Or stick with my original plan of mid October and build myself up mentally in the meantime?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Do it, you won't regret it. Even if you get passed - so what? You're DOING IT! Don't worry about keeping up with anyone else, or who passes you. Run it for YOU, not anyone else. Keep your own pace, do your own thing, win your own battle.
  • GoalByFifty
    GoalByFifty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    YOU GOT THIS! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hey, some of those 70 year olds can be FAST.

You won't be last, and even if you are... so what? You're only running against yourself. Plus, with all the excitement and race day endorphins, you'll probably be faster than your training runs. And if you have to walk some, walk. There's no shame in that. I even won a 1st place in age group medal with a few walk intervals.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Lots of people will be slow. Go do your best and be proud of doing something.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, sign up for one and use it as motivation to push yourself. Make some aggressive goals in terms of your running workouts and stick to them. Then attend the race and focus on having fun and jogging the entire time, you will surprise yourself.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the people that pass you. You have the same pace as me! Just be in it to finish it for YOURSELF! You CAN do it! My first one I was placed @ 181. There were only 210 people that ran it.. which means that I wasn't last!!!

walk only when you're absolutely desperate, because you know how it is, once you stop jogging, it's harder start up again and maintain your pace. It's really easier just to keep jogging. Don't let the negative voices in your head tell you that you can't finish.
  • metre30
    metre30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Totally just do it! Think about it in the opposite way. What if you pass people? Won't that feel awesome?

Racing is a totally different experience than running on your own. Give it a try!
  • brent44622
    Options
    You will do fine! I feared my first 5K and was worried everyone would be sitting at the finish line and timing me! What really happened was that some of the super fast runners walked the course backwards to stretch their legs and came back and cheered on the other runners. It was a GREAT experience! You are always competing against yourself in a race like this. Runners are the most supportive group ever. I make it a point after I finish a 5k or other race to spend time at or before the finish line to cheer those on who come in after me. Nobody is looking at your time, but everyone is proud of you for being there and doing it! I say GO FOR IT!
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    No one is going to lap you on a 12 minute mile. In fact, as long as you keep running, I think a 12 minute mile will put you in the middle of the pack.

Do it. You won't regret anything. Running with a big group in a race is a great boost. Just keep running, and you'll do great.

Edit: Also, I agree with previous posts that runners are very supportive. Everyone at the race was where you are at one point. Everyone ran their first mile at one point--and it was probably terrible. The important thing is that they didn't stop at 1 mile.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! You will never regret it... You've got this!!! :) You have worked very hard and are doing so well. Just keep running.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A 12 minute mile really isn't bad. I guarentee there will be a ton of people slower than that. Just do it!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    DO IT! The worst that happens is you finish last BUT you'll still have finished. I'm running a 5k at the end of September and I just finished week 5 and you're faster than me...don't worry, you've got this!
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I cried the first time I did one at the beginning I was so scared - who cares if you finish last - think of all the people that did not finish!!!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Even if they pass you - so what! The only one who matters is you. You got this :)
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Shoot I hike with people in their 70's they can kick butt...you need to run your own run...
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    "Doesn't matter how slow you go, you're lapping everyone on the couch" :glasses: GO FOR IT!
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The feeling of accomplishment after the race is well worth the anxiety before the race. You got this!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K at a 12 minute mile. I had two goals. One was to actually finish the race and the second was to run the whole time. I didn't care how slow I was going, I was not going to walk. I accomplished both goals and was no where near the last person to finish.

You should do it. Once you do, you will never look back.

I ran my first 5K 1 year ago this weekend. In October I will be running my 3rd 1/2 marathon and now run very comfortably at a 10 minute mile...

Feel free to add me if want extra running encouragement. I've been there :flowerforyou:
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Do it!! I have my first one coming up in Sept - I know I will not finish first, I am excited about finishing. Do this for you!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Who cares about anyone else in that race but you. I would 100% do it just for the simple fact when you planned on doing your first one you will have a better understanding of what you can do. 12 min mile is not bad at all and tbh thats about where Im at now after 4-5 months of running. Just start off easy and build from there. If you need to walk, there is no shame in it. Catch your breath and get back to it.

My first 5K I got passed by strollers, walkers, and a prego. The guy who won the walking finished 4 mins ahead of me and was 74 yrs old (Im 34). I set a PR and that was the best part of the day. I did it, that was a victory in itself. Enjoy it and please let us know how you do.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/