Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Natural skin care products (made at home)

Do any of you make your own skin care products? Wash/scrubs/masks? I really want to make a change to using only natural things for my face. I would like to make my own washes, scrubs and masks. I have googled and found some recipes but I would like some feedback from others who make their own facial skin care products.

Replies

• NB2001
    NB2001 Posts: 5
    my sister makes her own i can ask her and comment then
  • I have made my own chap stick...equal parts of shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax..melt and pour into tubes. or into cups. You can also add natural flavorings....peppermint oil, spearament, ect. I also left some non flavored and use it for my elbows and the heels of my feet.

*melt in a small crockpot only used for the product*
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    I use to do this - then I read all about coconut oil.
    My skin is looking much better since I starting using it.
    Now, from what I read - use ONLY organic and virgin.

I use it in my smoothie in the morning. I put it on my skin and in my hair.
    I have never used anything (even expensive products) that worked this good.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    I don't make my own, but I use Lush products and they're all natural, mainly organic, plus they have vegan options too. Their dark angels face scrub is amazing!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    I use sugar and lemon juice for a face scrub, works great! Baking soda is another good one, almost like microdermabrasion. Make a paste of it with water, spread it on like a mask, dry and when you wash it off scrub around a bit. It won't take much effort!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    I use baking soda for a scrub. A little bit of honey once in a while for lines.

I tried all the expensive stuff and didn't see a difference. I use cheap ponds cream in the winter if I feel a little dry. I'm almost 43 and have very few lines. I would rather spend $1 on baking soda instead of $10 on a scrub. Same results, less chemicals and things I can't pronounce, less money and no plastic packaging.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    skonly - good reminder on the honey mask, too. That does great things for my dry face in the winter.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I tried baking soda last night... my skin feels wonderful this morning.
  • Once I spent lots of money on expensive products, now I make my own since I studied essential oils and what they can do.
    You can find all kind of recipies on the internet
  • skonly
    I am glad I'm not the only who goes in the kitchen looking for facial products. Olive oil is really good to on dry skin. I've used it in a bath a few times. Not often because you have to clean the tub right away, if you forget chances are you slide next time you step in.

I saw a thing on tv, Dr Oz had a dermatologist on. She said to take your wrinkle cream and crush a pseudoephedrine tablet in it and put it on your eye wrinkles for about 10 minutes. It tightens and makes a huge difference. I tried it even though I don't have deep lines and it did really tighten my skin. It was just a spoon of the cream and one pill. I bet the drug stores were busy that day. lol. It's not a long term solution, just something that gives a good short term effect. I guess it's easier and safer doing that every day instead of botox.
  • MissFit0101
    bump :smile:
  • MissFit0101
    again? LOL I want some recipes that people have used!
  • skonly
    again? LOL I want some recipes that people have used!

You can mix honey and milk for a moisturizing mask. Baking soda and cornmeal can be used as scrubs. Oatmeal can be tossed in any mask, so can olive oil.
  • MissFit0101
    Does anyone know where to buy rose water?
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    I've made a mask with ground oatmeal, plain yogurt and honey. it's quite nice! Equal amounts works well, you can add some water to thin it out if needed.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    I think you can find rose water at many east Indian food stores.
  • I used to make my own skincare in the kitchen, however it got time consuming and I knew I wanted something healthier for my skin because someone who cares about me shared an ingredient list of things to avoid. There is a product called L'Bri Pure N' Natural that is made near Milwaukee WI that has changed many lives. not only from a skincare standpoint, but financially as well. Direct selling gets alot of naysayers ...L'bri is an amazing Aloe based line and is very economical and very like making it yourself because there is no water...most products on the market with big price tags are about 80% water. Lbri uses aloe as the main ingredient because it's healing properties for thousands of years. Your full size products used faithfully twice a day will last you 4-5 months! Just my opinion, but if you're looking for something healthy and cost effective...look no further. Thanks for reading!
  • upsrich
    upsrich Posts: 2
    My wife and daughter make facial masks using egg whites and yogurt. They also will use honey combined with different fruits of vegetables. The recipes they use came from www.freshskincare.org