desk jobs

Options

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    When I start to get stiff I go to the back stairway and run up and down it a few times. I'll do squats and lunges in my cube, too.

This article explains how much getting up and moving for a couple of minutes (or even standing) improves your health. If you can stand while you're reading something or on the phone, you should!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/sunday-review/stand-up-for-fitness.html
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I get up several times a day from my desk (for instance you could get up between the reports) and maybe go for a short walk and then get back to work, make it about 2 minutes or so that was it's not like you are gone for long periods of time. I also use the restroom on a different floor (I saw that was a suggesion) and I take the stairs as many times a day as I can. I work out before work that way when I get to work and I don't have time to do any of the previously mentioned things I know I've already been extremely active!

Best of luck to you trying to find a good routine that works with you!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    There's something called a pedal exerciser. It's an under the desk little foot pedal bike type thing. I friend has one, I'd like to invest. They're about 40 bucks. May be a good option.
    I have been thinking about getting one of those for under my desk. Right now, I have time to put into daily exercise, but once my teaching resumes at the end of the month, I'll have less time during my work day. I wonder if I can keep my feet in motion while I type or read, or if that will be trying to split my brain too much.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I drink lots and lots of water so that a- I have to keep getting up to go to the bathroom and b- I have to keep getting up to get more water. It also keeps me awake. I work in a tiny office but I will walk the interior perimeter a couple times a day. 120 steps from my office door, around the building and back to my door might not seem like much, but it adds up.
  • jlevie313
    Options
    I work as a 911 operator and sit 12 hours a day. Me and my co workers try to go run the stairs or do jumping jacks every hour for even a few minutes just to get a little in. If we cant one hour we just do it the next.
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try and get up and move every 20 or so minutes (usually it's either to get another cup of water or use the restroom). Sometimes it could be to talk to someone or ask a question.

My cube is right next to the hallway, so anyone who walks by can see what I'm doing. That being said, sometimes I like to keep my feet moving under my desk, so that way I'm moving, but no one really knows what I'm doing.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I take stair climbing breaks and walk to the top floor of the building, then down to the first floor, then back up to my floor. (my current office building is only 4 stories)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only person that thinks a CSI would be boring work. LOL. To each their own.

I often wonder how much of a difference all this "extra" stuff people do makes. (I know, poor sentance structure).

I question it, big time. i know it sells magazines, and people say it all the time, but does using the stairs instead of an elevator really make a difference overall? I mean, really?

Does jumping up and down for 5 minutes make any difference as opposed to not doing that?

I have always been taught that to get any benefit from exercise, it has to be prolonged, like at least 15 or 20 minutes and your heart rate has to get up there. Otherwise, it really does nothing. It's not exercise. I don't know if it's anything at all.

I don't have any stats or anything. I'm just saying that I question it. I always have. Maybe there's a study out there that has the answer.

I'm curious.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I work in finance- so I don't keep a shred bin at my desk- I just walk it back to the main shredder whenever I have something, but I also have a pretty cool boss and staff, and they don't care if I walk back after every client, or whatever. I saw someone else mentioned kegels- you could also do random muscle groups that way too- glut "crunches" or whatever you call them... just clenching/flexing muscles and relaxing..
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    I work in IT so I sit all day too.
    I go to the bathroom at the other end of the building and I do 20 wall push ups every time a go. I drink a ton of water so I go at least 5 times a day lol.

You just reminded me of something I did when I was losing weight years ago - wall push ups and squats!!! Absolutely adding that to my day because I sit all day. We do have one flight of stairs, I should go up and down those every time I get up to go to the restroom or speak to someone.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I work in IT as well... and though not lately as I'm being really lazy (and I need to get my *kitten* going again)... I stand at my desk (I had it jerry rigged from random stuff around the office)... I have found that it does burn a few extra calories (up to 200 for me) each day and raises my heartrate an extra 10 bpm. Then of course, I walk the stairs, park as far away as I can, and go talking to my co-workers instead of emailing.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky my building is in a beautiful park so i make the most of it and walk every lunchtime.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball instead of a desk chair, always use the stairs and have taken to lunging in the office. It's only to go to the printer, but it's better than nowt.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Maybe walk on breaks if you get any or at lunch. Try some squats each time before you sit down. IDK. I don't usually do any exercise at my desk job as a bookkeeper.

Me too!

PS - I think you have the coolest job EVER. I would love to do something like that. lol

Ditto!

I don't get a chance to leave my desk much other than for water or the bathroom, so I just sit here and shake my calves/thighs incessantly!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I walk around my floor at least once an hour and bust out pushups against the counter in the bathroom everytime I pee *laugh* I also take stairs to meetings and work on engaging my core and tucking my tailbone when I walk.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do stomach and butt squeezes at my desk and in the car.
  • DRNESTER
    DRNESTER Posts: 32
    Options
    I stretch a ton! Since im at my desk for 10.5 hours I I have been working on my flexability...and that has helped me a ton when it comes to working out of even just helping me feel better. Also chair dips...but it seriously makes a huge difference...since im sitting here anyways I might as well be stretching...then you dont even notice it...
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    I have a desk job and it sucks for exercise.
    I do make a point to try and get in some walking exercise as much as I can throughout the day.

Ways that I do this:

Take the stairs.
    Park my car further.
    Take a walk on my breaks.
    Take a walk or a short run at lunch time.

I pretty much use any excuse to walk.
    By the end of my workday, my fitbit has usually recorded about 9000 steps.

I love my fitbit! I had the mindset that I would never reach 10000 steps because I sit at a desk, but I see it is possible! (I work out on my lunch and usually have about 5000 after a 30 min workout on the elliptical)
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345225314&sr=8-1&keywords=inmotion+elliptical

I used it under my desk ( turning it backwards for some reason, helped my knees not hit my desk) and then as often as i could, would set up a box to put my keyboard on, and then would do my regular office work while pedaling away :) per my bodybug, i was burning anywhere from 7-9 cals per minute while on it...not bad for a machine! It also works your core when you are standing on it because you have to learn how to balance...since there are no arms to hold onto... i likes it better that way after awhile actually!

Actually considering selling the big clunky thing and getting one of these for home... it's a lot quieter and VERY compact.

just showed this to my boss and he ordered it for the office! Thanks!!!
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I work as a housekeeping director for a property management-vacation rental company. I sit easily from 4-6 hours a day, luckily the bathroom is on 2nd floor of our building and I get called up to the 3rd floor about 3 or so times a day. I try to get up from my desk at least every hour and walk around. I also get out inspecting several times a week-I feel like I still need to do a little more during the work day. I notice if I sit to long my muscles want to stay in that position and don't want to move.