snack after midnight-to which day do you add calories?

Replies

• I always consider a day from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. But I'm sure everyone here has their own way of recording it.

Same here. My day doesn't "start" until I wake up, no matter what time that is.
  • Count your day from wake-up to bedtime. You said you ate it before you went to sleep, so count it as the day of and not the next day.
  • As long as you track the calories, ultimately it doesn't matter that much. If you graph your calorie intake at all, I'd think the only thing to be concerned about would be consistency - if you track it on the day before once, stick with that (or vice versa) to be able to compare days properly.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    First World problems...
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    i work part time graveyard so find that doing military works for me (midnight to midnight):flowerforyou:
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    From waking to sleeping, whenever that may be is my day.
  • I count from wake-up to bedtime as well. I stop eating at like 7pm though lol and try to go to sleep before I get hungry again!! :)
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 130 Member
    I found it works well if I eat a lot or drink a lot late at nite, I go back to a day the week before where I was under my goal and put it there. What the heck, its the same month.

Folks...It doesn't matter what you put down or where you put it down....SCALE DON'T LIE!...GEEZ.
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    It doesn't matter. If you're trying to lose a pound a week (3500 calories), you could have a deficit of 500 calories per day for 7 days OR a deficit of 750 for 3 days and 312.5 for 4 days. As long as your weekly total is 3500, you can count those calories on whatever day you like and still lose that pound.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    i think its ok to add it to yesterday if your schedule is always the same (you work in the day and sleep at night), but for people who's schedules are all over the place and work during the night sometimes, it makes more sense to log by 24hr period...i log from midnight to midnight as i work all over the place. i log it for the time i eat it, cause sometimes i pull all nighters and it just doesnt make sense to add it all to yesterday
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I always consider a day from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. But I'm sure everyone here has their own way of recording it.

This... if you haven't gone to bed yet, then don't record it for the following day.
  • LadyHappyfish
    LadyHappyfish Posts: 23 Member
    Before I go to sleep, its the day before when I wake up thats next day. However if because of baby I am not going to get any sleep its the next day.

But as I always snack and drink the same each night it makes no difference.

Do I feel sleepy/trying to go to sleep = day before or am I wide awake and active = next day, because I will not next beable to sleep until partner takes over after work.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    First World problems...

you people need to relax. this is a weight loss forum, it's okay to ask questions. why bother putting negative comments on the thread, just ignore it if you're not interested.
  • windycitycupcake
    the general consensus is that it makes no difference. i know you are supposed to add up your week and look at things that way, i was just curious how other people logged the calories.
  • If I do it, I put it on breakfast for the next day :)

me too. but not because i think it's the only "right" way but because i would rather cut back than screw up a GOOD day.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    As long as you are consistent. I don't think it matters. Either count 24 hours from 12:00 A.M. to 11:59 P.M.
    Or count sleep cycle to sleep cycle...
  • I know we all focus on each days number BUT we all need to keep in mind that it's the week that matters. So don't worry what day you put it on, just be sure to add. Each week make sure you are around or under your total allowed calories for the week. As a wise person once told me Keep it simple stupid. Good luck on your journey!

Feel free to friend me~ I always am looking for supportive friends and friends that I can help too =) TGIF
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Even though my journal says "8 PM - 12 AM", if I eat it before I go to bed, I'll record it on the previous day. Not that it matters though because it's all based on total calories for the week!
  • windycitycupcake
    If I do it, I put it on breakfast for the next day :)

me too. but not because i think it's the only "right" way but because i would rather cut back than screw up a GOOD day.

haha totally
  • Gregularity
    Gregularity Posts: 8 Member
    I found it works well if I eat a lot or drink a lot late at nite, I go back to a day the week before where I was under my goal and put it there. What the heck, its the same month.

Folks...It doesn't matter what you put down or where you put it down....SCALE DON'T LIE!...GEEZ.
    While I would generally agree that the big picture is more important than the day-by-day, I can't help but point out that what you're doing is, well, stupid.

Let me prove my point with an exaggeration. Bill and Frank both consumed 42,000 calories last month. Bill was always between 1200 and 1600 calories per day. Frank often consumed 4000 calories a day and then fasted the next day. They both met their monthly calorie goals. Would you say they that Frank completed his goal with just as much success as Bill?

Oh, and didn't even mention the word metabolism.