Eating with a Spouse

Options

Replies

• Julienetan
    Options
    When i first met him, he always bring me to eat lots of good stuff. Later I realise its his plan to make me fat so i will be less attractive to men so he will not have competition.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, my wife loves eating junk food, but she eats very tiny amounts at a time so it really doesn't bother me.. when she cooks dinner she usually will cook something healthy as she likes to eat healthy.. Now all I have to do is get her to workout..hehehehe
  • KnotNorml
    KnotNorml Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A story very familiar to my own. I will say, however, thanks to my wife's gentle coaxing, I'm on board with the health change. Yes, I am losing more weight and faster, but we don't make it a race. Also, the fact that we are doing this together really works well. Be a good example and perhaps more of us men will become more enlightened.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My husband is generally just happy that I made dinner and will eat the healthy options that I have been presenting. He does like his junk food but gets his fix at work instead of expecting me to have it in the house. Biggest problem is that male metabolism. I start cooking healthier meals and keeping healthier snacks in the house, I've lost 6lbs he's lost 26 lbs.

Doesn't that just get ya??!!! Same here with my husband! :laugh:

I've always cooked pretty healthy, so no problem with what I was making. Generally my husband would just eat more of it, and supplement it with generous pre-dinner snacks of pretzels, peanuts, and red wine. Then he would top off dinner with a BIG bowl of frozen yogurt. His cardiologist told him he needed to lose some weight, so he's been doing MFP for over a week. He's lost about 5 pounds already, mainly with portion control. Me? It takes me at least 8 weeks to lose 5 lbs!
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I always save half my calories for the day I am going to see the boyfriend in the evening. Never fails pizza and beer. Although he doesn't force feed me. I love those two especially together. I just work hard to make sure I am good and in the green at night.

This is how I do it when. I am going out, make sure I have a good rest of the day before the bad stuff. No point in thinking well I might as well not bother today!

Wife can be a nightmare though as she is not as motivated as me in the gym etc, I have given up trying to help her as it often gets thrown back in my face! I praise her when she goes to the gym and ignore her when she won't go to the gym as that normally involves digs at me for going or not eating sweets etc when she is.

I just do my own thing and remind her of the things she does that I like but don't harp on at, if I have too.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky. My husband prefers to eat healthy and has been a great support in helping me to do the same.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    my husband wants to eat junk food. I make healthy meals and he snubs them so for him it's fend or starve.
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    My hubby is a big, big guy and LOVES junk. He eats what I cook, but usually requests that I cook extra carbs (he loves Texas toast) or some sort of fattening dessert. I try not to give in, but it's tough sometimes. He makes me feel like I am being mean to him when I don't let him eat himself to death.

Usually when he eats crap, I just feel really sad. We hardly ever go out to eat together, but I know he eats fast food at least twice a day (McD's bags piled up in his car) and it breaks my heart.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I used to have an issue with it because he can eat just about anything...but...he has started trying to eat healthier in an attempt to help me...so we're good now! LOL
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    At first it was tough, but after a while he got used to it and hopped on board the healthy train, too!

Now I have HIM telling me that certain foods won't fit into my macros, and helping me with portion control :laugh:
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My husband is generally just happy that I made dinner and will eat the healthy options that I have been presenting. He does like his junk food but gets his fix at work instead of expecting me to have it in the house. Biggest problem is that male metabolism. I start cooking healthier meals and keeping healthier snacks in the house, I've lost 6lbs he's lost 26 lbs.

Ugh I have this problem too... My hubby weighed himself everyday last week and lost like 5-6 lbs and I lost 1.5 urg!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    my hubby is a wonderful cook, and cooks for me as i am useless in the kitchen ... i count myself very lucky :)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My wife is preggo... and is now craving Texas Toast and Chick-Fil-A like crazy... I hate saying 'no' because she is carrying my son! But I am NOT going to gain the 30lb I've lost thus far!

I'm going to have to start giving her what she wants and I'll just eat something different... but then she feels bad and that's the last thing I want... to stress her out!!!

Crazy times...

If she's craving that, then it basically means she wants a chicken sandwich... she doesn't have to eat the fried stuff .
    Okay - I'm from the UK and have no idea what that stuff tastes like :P But I know that when I was craving a particular type of food it was because of something in it, not the oil it comes in.

Saying that - I know exactly how you feel (the OP). I'm trying to get the whole family to eat properly and healthy, with a few treats once in a while, but the 7 yr old and his father just want junk, and the partner wants to eat said junk late at night. He keeps saying he wants to lose weight, too.. but does nothing.
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My wife is preggo... and is now craving Texas Toast and Chick-Fil-A like crazy... I hate saying 'no' because she is carrying my son! But I am NOT going to gain the 30lb I've lost thus far!

I'm going to have to start giving her what she wants and I'll just eat something different... but then she feels bad and that's the last thing I want... to stress her out!!!

Crazy times...

Maybe just do the grilled chicken without the breading or the Grilled chicken salad from Chick-Fil-A (I love their food - and will splurge on occasion). Congratulations on the new baby boy you will have soon. You are going to be a great role model for him to be a healthy, active person.
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are both doing the change of lifestyle together. We both have a fitbit and he loses far more weight than I do by far. But we work together. He eats whatever I cook and logs it to see how much he can have. My hubby is 6'2 and I am 5'2 and he has far more weight to lose than I do. But it drives me crazy, because it seems I have to work twice as hard to burn my calories and he doesn't do as much as I do and burns over 1000 calories more than I do. I know size is the factor, but still drives me crazy.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hubby does most of the dinners at our house. It took a few weeks of me being firm and saying no to this or that, but he's on board now. He really likes the changes he's seeing in my body and I'm not waking him in the night as often with sleep apnea. Now he writes down everything he puts into a meal--though I still have to nag him to include olive oil, salt, and butter, which he thinks are negligible. So thankful he's on board!

I have had to be strong, too. When he comes to bed with a dish of ice cream--I don't have to have one, too. When he comes to bed with a bowl of cereal--I don't have to have one, too. He has to eat calories before bed for his health--I have to resist eating a few hours before bedtime for mine.

Besides food, there's activity. He likes to sit and watch movies and feels left out if I'm not with him. So, I'll be in the same room, but I'll be doing yoga poses or lifting my "smart belles" rather than just being a blob.

It takes strength to pull yourself out of a rut, and even more strength to resist gravity pulling you back down into it. But both of us are excited for the day when I can get back into that little sunflower dress I was wearing on the day we met 15 years and 75 pounds ago!
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I buy mine some junk food - full fat cola, biscuits, pastries for breakfast and we tend to have some sweets in for the kids. The thing is I am going to be around crappy food so I need to know how to deal with it. And I have, mostly successfully.

I cook the evening meal and I make something healthy (well most of the time :wink: ). But I do make something I think they'll like. I use skinnytaste.com a lot at the moment and also bbcgoodfood.com and make healthier versions of food they like with plenty of flavour. None of us like bland food and that's what put me off dieting before. I am a fantastic cook though :bigsmile: I like trying lots of different recipes and get bored easily so they don't always get the same thing twice whether they like it or not :laugh:

For my husband, breakfast is cola and sometimes a pastry or biscuits (choc digestives), lunch is leftovers made into a burrito (so not too bad he adds salad) and dinner is healthy. He drinks usually a beer every evening and sometimes has some leftover dinner if he's hungry.
  • MrsIgou
    MrsIgou Posts: 1
    Options
    I struggle w/weight loss and my spouse is a "meat & potatoes/gravy" guy. Four course dinner every night!! It is very hard. I have no willpower and he calls me beautiful the weight I am (he says then he doesn't have to worry about the competition). I have gained 51 lbs since we married 2-1/2 years ago!!! I am so disgusted w/myself and exercise?!?!?! HA!!! No time! I have lost 8 lbs in 12 weeks!!! I wish I could close my eyes at night & wake up skinny! It is hard work to keep on a healthy regimen - but I am trying! I am now trying to make a dinner he wants one night and a healthy one that I prefer the next. He seems okay for time being with this routine. Last night we had roast beef/potatoes/gravy/carrots and corn on the cob. Sundays are big feast night - usually the standard is a roast w/all the trimmings. But I eat 2 eggs/toast for breakfast and a snack of string cheese for lunch to save calories for that dinner on Sun. evening. Tonight we have lettuce salad w/tomatoes, peppers, carrots, red cabbage & grilled chicken breast. :indifferent:
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options

Besides food, there's activity. He likes to sit and watch movies and feels left out if I'm not with him. So, I'll be in the same room, but I'll be doing yoga poses or lifting my "smart belles" rather than just being a blob.

I really like the idea of working out while watching a movie together :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    We eat healthy together but I don't always eat everything he does and certainly not as much. So I don't eat rice or white flour tortillas and eat high fiber/low carb ones instead.

Slowly he's changing his cooking to accommodate what I don't eat because he likes his cooking to be appreciated.

Yesterday he brought home chips and dip. I ate 2. He and my son ate half the bag. I eat more tomatoes. It's okay.

It's hard because he does a few hours of tai chi every day and I have a desk job. So I do eat better than hum, but he also legitimately needs way more calories.