Avocados -- Super Food or Something Else?

Options
I just love avocados and could eat a whole one everyday, but they are just so high in calories! Subway and other campaigns claim that they are a super food and they are so great for you, but is this just hype and fad or are they really healthy? I figure that they are a natural food, so they have to be good, but if I eat one (or part of one) every day, is this holding me back from losing weight?

Anyone's input is welcome!

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day, but not an entire one, just about a quarter of one. It doesn't seem to hinder my weight loss at all. If it fits in your macros, I don't see why eating a whole one would be bad either, but that's entirely up to you.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    I love avocados as well! Reading this post makes me want one! LOL. There's been a lot of conflicting information about them over the years... I think they are fine in moderation. They keep me fuller longer and even tho they are high in calories you're still getting nutrition from them. Avocado over a bag of chips any day :drinker:
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    I don't think avocados are super food, because every single natural fruit or vegetable has a lot said about how good they are etc... especially grapefruit, onions and celery. But I also don't think one avocado a day will keep you from losing weight, avocados are better than eating bread or a cheeseburger etc.

Just log the calories in and stick to your calorie limit, and exercise :)
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- I'm supposed to stay around 1300 calories, so if I eat more than a half an avocado, there's not much left for my day. I'm just wondering if I should just eat on anyway.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    As my username suggests .. I absolutely LOVE avocados! Before I embarked on this journey I'd eat 3-4 a DAY! They do have a lot of calories but they are good calories and good fats in them. I'd still eat them in moderation now, though.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I have an ounce or so each morning on toast with hard boiled egg white.

My only problem is getting them to ripen and soften up. Are there any tricks for this?

I also like to try to grow my avocado pits. I have a number of them in various stages of sprouting (something I did as a kid)!
  • tlw81
    tlw81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a little on a sandwich in place of mayo. The idea is that it is a healthy fat source. Like you and the others said, a little goes a long way. I wouldn't do like the folks on the subway commercials.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I have an ounce or so each morning on toast with hard boiled egg white.

My only problem is getting them to ripen and soften up. Are there any tricks for this?

I also like to try to grow my avocado pits. I have a number of them in various stages of sprouting (something I did as a kid)!

If you keep them in a brown paper bag, they will ripen a little faster. I think because they emit some sort of oxidization that get trapped and soaked up by the bag.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options

If you keep them in a brown paper bag, they will ripen a little faster. I think because they emit some sort of oxidization that get trapped and soaked up by the bag.

if you put an apple in the brown paper bag with the avocado, it speeds up the ripening.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You can also try putting them on a windowsill if you have one in your kitchen.

I love avocados and have one at least every other day. I'll eat them with anything!
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options

Put them in brown paper bags!!!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Maybe not a "superfood" but I certainly think they are super! If you are going way over on calories or macros, it may be the thing to cut from your daily diet, but otherwise I see no problem.
  • mitzi1235
    mitzi1235 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use a ripe avacado as a "butter" sometimes for toast in a sandwich; not the entire thing of course. I might spread it on a gluten free bread toasted with lettuce and fresh tomato this time of year. One cup of avocado has 5 grams of protein, 16 grams of fiber, 0 cholesterol and although 35 grams of total fat, only 5 grams of saturated. This is FAR better then some foods and a comparable amount of chicken has 108 mg of cholesterol according to the nutrition data site I go to for analysis of the foods I eat. Use it instead of butter or mayo.
    I check food values on self's nutrition data site and find it very helpful. I am new so I will not send a link but it is a great way to check the value of foods easily.:flowerforyou:
  • NeekoM03
    NeekoM03 Posts: 27
    Options
    i have just recently (within the last year or so) found the avocado love! I agree with others, they are good in moderation. I have a question though - how do you keep yours from turning brown on you? I only eat a quarter to a half of one at a time so what should I do with the rest of it?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    man and I already was craving an avocado. Now I want one even more.... time to go to the store!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    i have just recently (within the last year or so) found the avocado love! I agree with others, they are good in moderation. I have a question though - how do you keep yours from turning brown on you? I only eat a quarter to a half of one at a time so what should I do with the rest of it?

Would love to know the answer to this too :D
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    to keep it from browning leave the pit /seed on the half that you are not eating covered and store away, or you can remove the pit/seed and squeeze some lime juice on it :). I myself love avocados as well and like to eat it with honey, or mash it up in a cup with some honey and milk :)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I eat them whenever I can afford them. If they are in my calorie intake range, no, they will not make me gain weight. They shouldn't anyone else either is my thought. I just had avocado, and an egg on toast for breakfast, yum!!
    I just love avocados and could eat a whole one everyday, but they are just so high in calories! Subway and other campaigns claim that they are a super food and they are so great for you, but is this just hype and fad or are they really healthy? I figure that they are a natural food, so they have to be good, but if I eat one (or part of one) every day, is this holding me back from losing weight?

Anyone's input is welcome!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    This works! Also, I did not know buying an unripe(hard)avocado, and then putting it a brown paper bag will make it ripen nicely!!
    to keep it from browning leave the pit /seed on the half that you are not eating covered and store away, or you can remove the pit/seed and squeeze some lime juice on it :). I myself love avocados as well and like to eat it with honey, or mash it up in a cup with some honey and milk :)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Wow, congrats on your weightloss:)
    man and I already was craving an avocado. Now I want one even more.... time to go to the store!