How to get family to grasp portion control?

Options
kittyd7015
kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
So Ive got the hang of stomach size of fist mentality but mum and dad when they cook just pile it on and then get offended or curious when i dont want to finish it. Any tips? xx

Replies

• pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i would just start serving yourself instead of them making your plate for you
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Fill your own plate?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    just tell them.

you're sick of being fat/don't want to get fat whatever.

overeating is not healthy, so you'll pass.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Explain yet again what you are doing and that you refuse to continue overeating. Divide the plate into 4 portions, eat one, if your still hungry move on to two.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    duct tape and bacon, yoou can figure out the rest
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Fix your own plate and they will see what correct proportions look like. When you figure out your calories, show then what 2 or 3 time that much would be to show them how much they are eating. They will be shocked.
  • davidep21
    davidep21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Make your own plate and take out your measuring utensils and let the others know you want to track and control your portions...
  • kittyd7015
    Options

bacon? xx
  • rextcat
    Options

bacon? xx
    yes bacon
  • kittyd7015
    Options

bacon? xx
    yes bacon

I cant figure out the rest... ? xx
  • kittyd7015
    Options

that always looks a bit rude when someone else has cooked tho? xx
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found that in the UK parents dish out the food, whereas back home in Canada we dish out our own plate. Not rude at all, you will be in fact not wasting any food. Leftovers can be wrapped up for later.
    Get a scale and weigh portion sizes?
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options

bacon? xx
    yes bacon
    ?

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So Ive got the hang of stomach size of fist mentality but mum and dad when they cook just pile it on and then get offended or curious when i dont want to finish it. Any tips? xx

People have to make the choice to change. All you can do is control your own actions.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I'm from a large Italian family and we love food, and obscenely sized portions. I've been trying to get my family (husband and children) to understand portion sizes. I explain to them that it's OK to have 2 servings of something as long as you calculate what you're putting into your body. The teens of course love instant soups and macaroni & cheese and those quick easy meals that are loaded with sodium. It's tough to get them to understand that one package of Ramen Noodles has about ZERO nutritional value and about 2 days worth of sodium.

Try explaining your attempts at watching how much you're eating so you can be healthy. Ask if your Mum would mind you making up your own plate and even explain that it's not the food itself but the portion size.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

that always looks a bit rude when someone else has cooked tho? xx

who cares if its rude? you're doing this for your health right? you're not a garbage can, don't treat your body like one.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I found that in the UK parents dish out the food, whereas back home in Canada we dish out our own plate. Not rude at all, you will be in fact not wasting any food. Leftovers can be wrapped up for later.
    Get a scale and weigh portion sizes?

I usually serve the food, otherwise there wouldn't be enough to go around. I have males living in the house. They are use to it.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Surely, they will understand. They are your parents after all. I would be more upset by food wasted on the plate.
    Then again, food is love to most people and they surely love you. :)
  • rextcat
    Options

bacon? xx
    yes bacon
    ?

:laugh: duct tape them to a chair, make them watch you eat the bacon and tell them when they learn correct portune size they can have bacon to:laugh: