RUNNERS!!!!

Options
I need some runner friends for motivation, encouragement, suggestions, and just someone I have something in common with. Some people think I am crazy to become a runner and not many of my friends share the love of running...I have ran several 5k's (best time 35 minutes....without stopping) and few 8k's (best time 56 minutes...with one stop) and I want to increase my distance and speed. I started running to lose weight but I have hit a plateau. :( I don't care if you have ran 1 mile or a marathon I just want someone who can share the love of running with me! :)

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Sent an invite.
  • suncat26
    Options
    I run for weight loss/body sculpting. Not a "lover" of running but I sure do love what it does for my body. I also really like the way I feel after I finish a run. Its my biggest bang for the buck when it comes to getting results on leg shape. I'm averaging about a 9:40 minute mile right now and I generally jog about 3 days a week for an hour each time. I also try to lift weights 2 days a week (as heavy as I can-I don't believe in that women bulking up stuff I hear from some of the goobers in the gym.)
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have done a bunch of 5k's and a couple 10ks and am training for a half:). My average for a training mile is around 11-11:30 but I did have 1 5k that was only 28 something. :). I like running, but past 5 miles I am really having to talk myself into it! After the half I think I might run one more day and no more long runs! :)
  • Lindbergnd
    Options
    I've been in track for sprinting all of high school & since i've graduated a year ago i've been focusing more on distance for the military. I do it for fun, but now training for something. I can try my best to help ya out before and after my bootcamp! Hope you get over the plateau !! (:
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hey! I like to run too!! My goal was ALWAYS to run longer without stopping, but then my trainer made a suggestion for better fat loss here it is... intervals!! Walk 1 min, Jog 1 min, Fast 1 min rotate for your designated time...here's what I found - I can run solid for 30 mins and not feel as beat as when I do the interval!! lol I guess the idea would be to increase the time you run fast and decrease the walking...but to get started, that's a good pattern...it kills!!

I also look forward to the day when running straight 30 mins is boring, and I have to come up with a new challenge, like doing all hills, or running for distance instead of time...still dreaming up new challenges for when I get there!! :)

Pinterest has actually been helping me with little motivational phrases to "chant" as I run... here's a couple:

Suck it up so later you don't have to suck it in
    Your legs are NOT giving out - Your head is giving up - Keep going
    I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me
    Sweat is fat crying!! lol
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also hit a plateau losing weight when running..you need to mix it up a little. I run 6 days a week now and I include the Elliptical in my workouts for something different. On my short run days I will do 3-4 miles then 30 minutes on the Elliptical. On the long run day I will do a 10 mile run. To increase speed I also try to do interval treadmill workouts for 30 minutes doing sprints and walks. Good Luck and Keep Running!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I just started running last week and I'm already addicted-I signed up for my first 5K at the end of September, feel free to add me!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I love running and would do it even if I could never lose a pound. I'm a marathon runner, and Hoping to finally break 3:20. My secret weapon: Hill repeats. Its the workout I loathed in high school track (along with graduated 800s, which I also force myself to do now), but is really helping my times. Sprint up a hill, walk back down and rest for 2 minutes. Repeat. Interval speed work is also good. Good Luck!
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I am not that much into competition or races, but I love to run. Even though right now I spend more time on my bike ;-).
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I love running and would do it even if I could never lose a pound. I'm a marathon runner, and Hoping to finally break 3:20. My secret weapon: Hill repeats. Its the workout I loathed in high school track (along with graduated 800s, which I also force myself to do now), but is really helping my times. Sprint up a hill, walk back down and rest for 2 minutes. Repeat. Interval speed work is also good. Good Luck!

^^^THIS!

I'm actually running a Half Marathon tomorrow, and I'm freaking excited right now. It's my first distance even in a little over 2 years! Anyway, I don't intend on hijacking the post, just wanted to say hi, and that I'm here and running as well!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just finished the c25k program...Enjoyed the program...Signed up for a 5k in two weeks...Feel free to add me...
  • Lindbergnd
    Options
    I'm actually running a Half Marathon tomorrow, and I'm freaking excited right now. It's my first distance even in a little over 2 years! Anyway, I don't intend on hijacking the post, just wanted to say hi, and that I'm here and running as well!

Good luck on your half marathon! I'm hoping to do one as well, but in the near future.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Good luck on your half marathon! I'm hoping to do one as well, but in the near future.

thank you! and good luck with boot. Not that I would call what the navy does boot. :wink:
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    I started running 6 months ago and I love it. I ran one 5K in March and I have 2 more in Sept. I'm going to do. I've never been athletic so doing something like this just makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. Keep up the good work. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!

Good Luck on your half!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I run 3-6 miles a few times a week. Feel free to add me!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request... I have been running for 18 months... ran my first 15k over the summer and will be doing a half marathon this fall.
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    I just started the Couch to 5k program, loving it already! Would love some friends <3
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, have been for over a year now. I love it.

I've done a few races (5km, 11km, half marathon) and will be doing some more too.

In just 1 year my time has come down incredibly at the moment I'm working on getting a sub 25min time for a 5k
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i started running 6 months ago. now i run either 5 or 8k every other day. not training for any events, just increasing my distance, and hopefully speed will come at some point...

add me if you like :-)