FT7 features worth the extra money compared to FT4?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked a lot of times and I have scanned several posts about the FT7 vs. the FT4 and didn't see any particular info on the FT7 features themselves.

Basically, I can get the FT7 for 10 dollars more than the FT4, but being a Scrooge, I'd rather save 10 dollars if the extra features aren't worth it (hey, 10 dollars is 10 dollars when we're talking $66 vs. $76!)

Namely:

1. Is the Fat Burning vs. Aerobic (or EnergyPointer) feature of any real value for the extra 10 dollar investment? For those who have one, do you use this feature regularly?

2. The comparison chart says that the FT4 doesn't show the heart rate in percentage of maximum, but instead only as BPM. How important is this lack of feature on the FT4? Does it make a difference in the long run?

3. The exercise history feature for the FT4 says only 10 and also doesn't include the weekly history. For a person who works out about 30 minutes to 90 minutes a day (depending on the day) 5-6 days a week, would the FT4 still be okay or is the weekly history/extra memory slots worth 10 dollars more? My main workouts at this point in my journey are the C25K, light strength training, Leslie Sansone, cycling, walking, Wii Fit's Free Step and dancing. I might try the 30DS or something similar in the coming months to change things up and challenge myself. Is either one of the two HRM's better suited to my preferred types of exercise?

Thanks in advance! I've been going back on forth on this, making myself crazy (I'm a huge second-guesser, flip-floppish person) so I really need input. Also, thanks for putting up with this question once more. (And feel free to nicely point me to a thread that has these specific questions answered if it exists. I might have over looked it!) :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump in case no one saw.

If you don't want to answer, can someone at least point me toward a thread that is helpful with these questions? I've read through at least 10 threads and still didn't find these questions answered specifically (just listing the features compared to the other and no real discussion on whether the features are worth the money).
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the FT7 this week after comparing reviews with the FT4. I mainly chose it because it seemed a lot of people thought the FT7 had a better track record for accuracy than the FT4--and I was buying a HRM in the first place b/c I don't feel the calorie burn counts on here are that accurate. I was interested in tracking the "fitness" vs. "fat burn" qualities of my workouts, which the FT7 does. My heart rate shows up on my watch during workouts; after workouts, the read-out tells me what my highest heart rate was, and also the average heart rate for the session. The other thing I liked about the FT7 was that it was on sale at Sears (about 15 minutes down the road) for about $87, and that was less cost than any other local store or ordering online.

ETA: I did my research via Google: simply Google "compare polar ft4 ft7" and you'll get reviews from Amazon, forum posts from MFP, etc.
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the FT7 this week after comparing reviews with the FT4. I mainly chose it because it seemed a lot of people thought the FT7 had a better track record for accuracy than the FT4--and I was buying a HRM in the first place b/c I don't feel the calorie burn counts on here are that accurate. I was interested in tracking the "fitness" vs. "fat burn" qualities of my workouts, which the FT7 does. My heart rate shows up on my watch during workouts; after workouts, the read-out tells me what my highest heart rate was, and also the average heart rate for the session. The other thing I liked about the FT7 was that it was on sale at Sears (about 15 minutes down the road) for about $87, and that was less cost than any other local store or ordering online.

ETA: I did my research via Google: simply Google "compare polar ft4 ft7" and you'll get reviews from Amazon, forum posts from MFP, etc.

Thank you for the feedback!! I hadn't read anything about the FT7 having a better track record for accuracy so that's definitely something I want to consider. I'd definitely spend 10 dollars more for better accuracy. Thanks again!
  • PS2CR
    Options
    You're welcome! Check the Amazon ratings; I think that's where I read about the accuracy comparison.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have an ft4 (bought on amazon for 50... It's a "mans" one but has women settings its just a little bigger) I am also a Scrooge so it was worth it to me and doesn't bug me at all! :-) I have never heard the ft4 was very inaccurate or less accurate than the ft7 but personally in my searches of there is a small discrepancy it's not worth 30 plus dollars and quite honestly with messing around with my cals so I could reset things and start again where I'm at (we have had a crazy two months) it seems as accurate as can be soni love it and am completely happy I got an awesome HRM without breaking the bank :-)
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I bought the ft7 over the ft4. I want to say that the ft4 has to be sent in to get the battery replaced, but you can do the ft7 on your own. That's why I chose the ft7. You might check that...it's been a long time since I bought mine.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just bought the FT4 and I have no complaints. It's simple and easy. I get my heart rate, calories burnt, how long i worked out, even what time it is! It's short and sweet. btw I bought the bronze one... not the best color choice, but it does the job just the same :)
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and its been pretty accurate, my only complaint is that it stops working when I get too sweaty which is SO annoying since I'm doing 30d shred and am not allowed to stop. For a regular workout though I don't think that should be a huge inconvenience.
  • PS2CR
    Options
    I have the FT7 and its been pretty accurate, my only complaint is that it stops working when I get too sweaty which is SO annoying since I'm doing 30d shred and am not allowed to stop. For a regular workout though I don't think that should be a huge inconvenience.

Some swimmers say it stops working in the pool, too--but they got it to work by tightening the strap. Just a thought...
  • PS2CR
    Options
    I bought the ft7 over the ft4. I want to say that the ft4 has to be sent in to get the battery replaced, but you can do the ft7 on your own. That's why I chose the ft7. You might check that...it's been a long time since I bought mine.

Yes, the FT7 has a battery compartment on both parts that you can open with a twist of a penny or screwdriver for battery replacement.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at my FT4 right now, it also has a twist open back for easy battery replacement :)
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7, and I absolutely love it. Still, to be honest, I do not really use those extra features. I probably should have got the FT4. :).