Hate Fruits & Veggies

Options
OK, so here's my dilemma - I HATE Fruits and veggies. Now I am 50 years old, and I was also a cook in the Navy, and I made a choice to try anything and everything, cooked different ways, etc. It is either the texture or the taste I can't get past. I like some juice, but I know that is no good as it's mostly just sugar and no fiber. I am sick to death of people telling me - "Well, you just have to eat them" OK - well you find what you hate most and that's what you have to eat the most of! So my qustion is, for those of you that don't like veggies and fruits (if there are any) - what do you eat that's healthy? I love rich foods and carbs and sweets. A true "meat & potatoes and gravy" girl who also loves breads and baked goods. I never met a cupcake I didn't like. I want to make a life change and lose 90 lbs and keep it off. I've done Weight Watchers 3 times and the most I lost was 27 lbs. I get obsessed over the point figuring /counting and drive myself crazy. I figure counting just calories wouldn't be so bad - and that is free lol
But seriously - any constructive ideas? I am open to lighter versions of favorites, and I have a serious sugar jones I need to break out of. I am just tired of it all......
And did I mention I'm lazy? I don't even run to my car when it rains.....

Thanks for listening to my rant

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your micronutrient deficiency goals
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You're gonna have to find a way to be more active and find nutritious, low calorie foods to fill up on, otherwise you're not gonna have much luck until they find a way to shoot a laser beam at KFC and make it all zero calorie food.

......Hope they shoot the local pizza place too, that'd be awesome.
  • ChesKrieg
    ChesKrieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just like anything a person finds tough or hard in their life, you know what's best, so whenever you are mentally ready, you will suck it up and just do it, otherwise it won't work.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your micronutrient deficiency goals

LOL, this!

Seriously, there are ways to cook fruits and veggies so that they are more flavorful and appealing. Also the more you eat them, the more you will get used to them and eventually like them. They are the staple of healthy eating.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    troll_bridge1.jpg
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I apologize for the image being so large, but seriously.... SERIOUSLY....
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    You don't need them to be healthy. This 5-a-day stuff is just marketing bull****. Just get lots of meat and you're good.

I hardly ever eat fruit or veggies.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I definitely had to train myself to like veggies. I never really had a problem with fruit. I just kept telling myself that I want to set a good example for my daughters, so I forced myself to eat them, and now I like them! Try fresh asparagus cooked in Lite Olivio Margarine with a little *VERY LITTLE* salt and garlic and YUM! Even my Meat and Potatoes husband likes it that way. And for fruit, maybe try making smoothies! Add some yogurt and so on. Good luck!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately you will not get the response you want here... people will tear a strip off of you and tell you to not be so picky (if you really want to lose weight you will do what you need to do!) Good luck on your journey!
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've got the "bitter" taste bud gene, and thus find all vegetables distasteful.

I will eat carrots, peas, and beans, but only if they are cooked with some bacon fat and LOTS of garlic. Then, if I keep my nose closed while chewing and swallowing (part of taste is in the nasal passage)......I can eat a small portion.

Sounds like you got genes that don't encourage eating well rounded. Like me. So we end up well rounded in the middle.....from the meat an' potatoes thang'!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You don't need them to be healthy. This 5-a-day stuff is just marketing bull****. Just get lots of meat and you're good.

You're totally right! Everybody's different!!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

*headesk*
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have read in the paper recently that school cafeterias are "hiding" vegetables in other foods - for instance cooked and pureed hubbard squash mixed in with macaroni and cheese. Start out with adding a small amount and increasing as you adjust to the taste. To experiment, buy some pureed baby foods to add in to see if you like that. Meatloaf is a good thing to hide veggies in, as is spaghetti and lasagne.
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    Look,

You can't hate all veggies and fruit. Try new things, add spices and most of all simply get over the mental barrier of "i dont like them"

Its a mental battle mainly dieting, anyone can do it, just like anyone can force themselves to eat fruit/veg. If you really want to achieve your goals just eat them. I dont wana eat protein 24/7 but you know, has to be done and you get used to it after a while anyway!

Its like beer, didnt like at first, but it gets me drunk....so you know i drank it........now i actually, unfortunately for my belly, really like it haha.

x
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Hate is such a strong word. How do you think the fruits and veggies feel when you say you hate them?? I thought this was a place of support! Such negativity!
  • starbuckskat
    starbuckskat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Gadget - I think I am what they call a Super Taster. I do not like any kind of strong flavored or spicy foods. Bland bland bland for me. Hey I like corn though lol Normal people just don't understand. I tell my husband to eat liver and okra (what he hates) 5 times a day and then he will know how I feel
  • omgdinosaurs
    Options
    Honestly, I can understand where you are coming from because I hate most vegetables. Never had a problem with fruit though-that is delicious! But that being said, there are a select few that I do like/can tolerate. I'm sure there's been at least one fruit and one vegetable that you've eaten that you haven't adamantly hated, so focus on that one! For example, raw baby carrots are one of the few vegetables I'll eat. So what if I eat them everyday? I'm still getting some veggie nutrition.
    Also, V8 makes those fusion drinks with one serving of fruit and one of vegetables in every glass, worth a shot. And you can find fiber in plenty of other things!
  • starbuckskat
    starbuckskat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Actually I LOVE Fruits and veggies - that's why I hate to see them brutally killed and eaten! lol
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Love the graphic--where did you find it?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I hates fruits and veggies as a kid (shocker I know) but eventually i started to just eat them. The biggest one i still can't eat is spinach and brussel sprouts. I would say just experiment and start off a veggie or a fruit at a time.