Couch to 5k - Arm Pain?

So last night I started the Couch to 5k on the treadmill using the iPhone app (GREAT app btw).

I expected some soreness the next day as I've never "really" run before. I would usually set the treadmill to hill and keep up a light jogging pace or fast walking.

But this morning, my shoulders and top of my arms hurt? What could cause this? Probably how I'm positioning them but I thought I was doing it right. When walking they are down at my sides, when running up in a 90 degree angle... tips? :)

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Stay relaxed. A lot of people will hold their shoulders up and/or keep their arms and hands tense or held closed when they run. This can cause soreness and even tire the body out quicker over longer distances.

Just keep everything loose. Even when running, the shoulders should be relaxed and moving in flow with the body. Keep your hands in a neutral position, don't try to make fists, don't try to keep them open, just let them sort of be however they want to be.

And while your arms will come and bend at the elbows, don't worry too much about the exact angle they're at. Hold them in whatever way feels easy and comfortable. And don't cross them to much in front of your body, you want to keep them moving at your sides (they will come in front of your body a bit naturally, and that's okay, they just shouldn't be crossing in front you).

That should help with a lot of that soreness.
  • Thanks :) I thought I was trying to "relax" my arms, but maybe I was worrying a bit too much cause an obviously very seasoned runner got on the treadmill next to me and made me nervous!! roflmao.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    yeah sounds like you are scrunching up your shoulders which is causing tension.

When you do stretches, not only stretch your legs but do sweeping motions with your arms or pot stirrers to loosen them, it will help.
  • Yeah I did no "warm up" other than the 5mins of walking... next time I'll open up my arms first!
  • Don't worry about it, all sorts of pains come and go with every new exercise. Over time you will feel what posture and hand position is most effective and easier on you.