Anyone else see this fat free lawsuit???

Options
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nebraska-woman-files-lawsuit-against-192427438.html

So on Yahoo there is an article about a lady who is suing Conagra over their butter spray. She contends that the fat-free no calorie spray actually does have fat and calories and then there is this quote...

I could not figure out why I simply could not lose hardly even a pound, even though I was working out hard ... and monitoring calories ... for a couple of years,'" the lawsuit relays. "Well ... I was also literally taking the top of the 'fat and calorie free butter' spray and pouring it on all my carefully steamed veggies when I found out that a bottle of that stuff is 90 fat grams. I was going through two bottles a week, and working out and getting fat and unhealthy."

Well Duh!!!!!

Replies

• jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Woooowww. I don't even know what to say! lol!
  • Paedaris
    Paedaris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's s'posed to be SPRAY butter, what are you doing?? D:
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This is why manufacturers of flat irons have to put warning labels on hair straigtheners not to use them while sleeping.

It's sad that someone cannot understand "per serving" calorie counts.

It's disgusting that a lawyer would take the case and either a) tie up our court system with the suit and/or b) drive up the cost of food if the company decides to settle nuisance law suits like this.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    :: rolls eyes :: This is exactly why we should remove common sense warning labels and let Fate sort it out! I hope she loses her case!
  • ShirleyKwi
    ShirleyKwi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is that she'll probably win! ugh!!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I thought sprays were meant to keep things from sticking to a pan. I do spray a little once in a while on a tortilla if I am baking chips.

I somehow do not believe this spray was in anyway involved in the woman not being able to lose weight.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not to mention who pours spray anything on their food. Umm spray means...spray..not dump. I wonder sometimes
  • leslielt
    Options
    I thought sprays were meant to keep things from sticking to a pan. I do spray a little once in a while on a tortilla if I am baking chips.

I somehow do not believe this spray was in anyway involved in the woman not being able to lose weight.

Exactly and if you sprayed the serving size there probably weren't calories.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I hate frivolous lawsuits like this. However, I don't think it's cool that manufacturer's can say 0 calories for anything less than 5...and adjust their "serving size" to amounts almost nobody will stay under. I also don't like that they have such a huge leeway +/- on accuracy of their nutritional statistics on the package. It's another catch 22 for me...I hate big government, but want things like this changed. <sigh>

Those spray butters ARE misleading. How many people realize that the bottle that claims 0 calories per serving actually has over 900 calories per bottle, and over 9- grams of fat? I know I didn't realize it until after I had been using it for years. I still think the lawsuit is ridiculous though.
  • holbol13
    Options
    Not all fats are bad. In fact the body requires a cretin amount of fats and sugars, otherwise your body will just not function.
    Word of advice, Stick to the real stuff... The more processed your food is, the further away it is from food. If you want to use butter, sacrifice something else.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    spray fat? ew.

give me real butter, pork fat, or coconut oil any day.
  • holbol13
    Options
    Survival of the 'smartest'! Love it!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That lady is an idiot, but someone had to say something about those butter and oil sprays listing their nutrition information as 0 calories and 0 fat, when it contains 100% canola oil. Something here is just not right!

My mom and dad used to do something similar to what this woman is suing over, and were baffled by their own weight gain. I pointed out to them that they were using the product wrong, and showed them the ingredients list was 100% oil. I mean, how long is a 1/3 of a second spray anyhow?
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    oh jesus i bet that tasted horrible LOL :laugh: what an idiot
  • leslielt
    Options
    I hate frivolous lawsuits like this. However, I don't think it's cool that manufacturer's can say 0 calories for anything less than 5...and adjust their "serving size" to amounts almost nobody will stay under. I also don't like that they have such a huge leeway +/- on accuracy of their nutritional statistics on the package. It's another catch 22 for me...I hate big government, but want things like this changed. <sigh>

Those spray butters ARE misleading. How many people realize that the bottle that claims 0 calories per serving actually has over 900 calories per bottle, and over 9- grams of fat? I know I didn't realize it until after I had been using it for years. I still think the lawsuit is ridiculous though.

Yeah I don't like that either but I also don't like when people make up lawsuits just to get money.
  • bouncybabymama
    bouncybabymama Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You have to be kidding. They said a serving is fat-free. Not the whole dang bottle!
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This is dumb but if it helps fix labeling loopholes that allow crap like trans fats to sneak in while being labeled as 0g trans fat then I'm all for it. I salute you, gross oily veggie lovers.
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WOW 0_O
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Everyone here.. needs to go look at the other thread about this. Pretty funny. They are opposite threads..

Protect yourself, do your own research, that is the only way to be sure! If something says '0' calories, please just know.. they can consider 5 calories, 0.