Tyson's Chicken Breasts...

Options
Anyone else find them revolting?? I've been eating them for forever because their very inexpensive, but omg... lately every one I cook, no matter how well I tenderize it or season it, takes like freaking crunchy rubber. So nasty..... *insert barf face smiley*

I've had organic ones from Publix before... by FAR way better flavor and texture.

What do you think.... is it worth it to buy Tyson's when they are beyond nasty or pony up for the organic stuff?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    you're probably overcooking it
  • holbol13
    Options
    Tyson anything is just Random Bits of Chicken... When I was in Tennessee I had the (mis)fortitude of driving by the plant. I would avoid them at all cost! There is a reason they're cheap!
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Avoid! My husband and I just decided to pony up the $$$ to get better chicken. Soooo worth it!

:sick:
  • pbrenn
    pbrenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to get them for the same reason of being cheap but I'll agree, they are kind of gross. I find it well worth it to shell out the extra money for Smart Chicken brand or visit a local butcher.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would get better quality chicken. mine is never rubbery!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    you're probably overcooking it

I thought maybe that might be it, but I'm pretty good at making it come out tender and juicy. It's not a matter of it being tough and leathery. It's like biting into it and getting a mouthful of gristle. Nasty...
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Avoid! My husband and I just decided to pony up the $$$ to get better chicken. Soooo worth it!

:sick:

I think I will take your advice. We've been going the cheap route for so long but if I have to eat it again, I might not be able to. It's actually making me nauseous just thinking about it!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way about the tyson brand chicken. we always hunt for the box of purdue brand ones. they're getting harder and harder to find tho since the tyson ones are cheaper.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with them. I completely head what you mean about the gristle, which makes me gag just typing it. I'm really particular about my meat and I obsessively trim it before cooking. Anything creepy-looking and a substantial border around it is cut off and thrown away with the very tips of my fingers before I double-inspect the incision and it's a shining, immaculate example of breasticular perfection.

Also, I second the above poster's overooking statement.
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    EVERY BRAND of chicken breast (or any chicken part for that matter) tastes like dog food to me. I am a great cook, but I can't stand anyway I prepare any regular store-bought chicken.

I didn't taste real chicken until I went abroad, now the only thing that actually TASTES like chicken is the ORGANIC brands. Unfortunately these are not in my budget much, so I don't eat them much.

These factory farmed chickens, regardless whether they are pumped with hormones, are just bred to be huge and they lose the flavor this way. Its a bummer. Blech.
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We have been getting the IQF (Individuality quick frozen) ones from Aldi and they have been very good. They can be a little random in thickness but all about the same weight.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Why don't you look for some local farmers to get chicken from?
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I buy Sanderson Farms at Kroger. Occasionally I buy the kroger brand. They are usually pretty good. Feeding 4 adults and 2 growing kids organic is WAY out of my budget.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Absolutely disgusting!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_Foods
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts in gerneral have very little fat and moisture and tend to cook dry. I use thighs more than breasts. They cook nicer with more moisture.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco near you, Id get those. I love the Costco Kirkland brand individually frozen chicken breasts.. They are huge and always come out really good.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat Morningstar Farms Chik'n patties, (vegetarian, prepackaged, not much or often, kinda high in sodium) They don't taste like chicken, of course! but I find them to be great substitute, especially in a sandwich with lettuce and tomato.