Is concrete necessary on Couch to 5K

Options
Hi all,

I am intending to start the Couch to 5k but am having trouble fitting it in around my work, hubbys work and the kids. Does it have ti be done outside or can I run/walk/jog on the spot at home and still get the same results?

Thank you

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You'll get results, you'll improve your cardiovascular health, but not the same results as actually getting out there and getting some miles under your feet.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get awfully bored running in place. Plus how will you track distance? If its all you have then it's better than nothing, but I'd rather try to get up 45 mins earlier.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i run in place. i can do really well.. then i tried doing it outside.. and was tired really quickly. its not the same. but i still do both.

take the kids for a walk at a school track! you can all go your own pace. or do it in your drive way while the kids are napping/sleeping/watching tv.

get a neighbor to watch them.
  • Canderson00
    Canderson00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    are you talking about running in place or on a treadmill? running outdoors is a definite better work out than the treadmill because of the variations of the pavement and unpaved areas that you would be running on along with the uphill gradient and the down hill gradient.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You'll get results, you'll improve your cardiovascular health, but not the same results as actually getting out there and getting some miles under your feet.
    pretty much what i was going to say. if you do get out there, try to go for asphalt or trails, concrete can be a bit hard on you...
    no matter the where and how, just get started, you won't regret it :wink:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I do mine on a treadmill as I don't have time until after dark and it's hotter than Satan's Basement here LOL
  • alycat06
    alycat06 Posts: 75
    Options
    I tried doing the program on the treadmill and got frustrated very easily. I spent more time worrying about changing the speed when I needed to switch between jogging and walking. I restarted the program this week by running outside. It's absolutely freeing! It's also hot as Satan's basement here, but the heat really didn't bother me after the first couple of running sessions. If you can find a way to make the outdoors work, then I highly recommend it. Good luck!