Hi, im back, more on race/ethnicity =)

Options
12346»

Replies

• cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    American as far as citizenship, but Dutch on both sides--1 grandfather born in the Netherlands, all great grandparents born there. Every 5 yrs we have a "Worldwide" family reunion, alternating between the US and the Netherlands, so I'm connected and in touch with my roots, which I love. The older I get, the more I appreciate knowing exactly where and who I came from. The first mention of our surname was in 1600's in the low lands of Holland--I was there in 2005 and stood where the first "official" couple thjat used the name lived, and found it really powerful. I think the reason most Americans identify with their ethnic background rather than calling themselves American is because we're mostly descendants of immigrants--the only "real" Americans, as in always been here, back generations and generations, would be Native Americans, right? I love to know where people's names originate from, where their families originate from, etc--it adds depth to a person's character, and depth to a relationship, to learn someone'e personal and family history, in my opinion.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly English and French with a tad bit of Irish.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    What I meant was... people like me, at least 5 generation American, will still say they are Irish, or French, or Polish... yet they have to go back generations to find anyone not born here. By ethnicity I am French Canadian, German, and Native American. I am American tho.

I assume you mean you are from the United States. "American" would be your nationality, not your race/ethnicity. *That's* why people wouldn't say they're American when asked what their race/ethnicity is. One could try to argue that American is an ethnicity (as in common culture), but the U.S. is so diverse (and such a young country, relatively speaking) I wouldn't personally agree with that argument.
    I don't understand why is it that US thinks they have the sole right to be called "Americans". Don't forget that Canadians, Mexicans, Cubans, PRicans, Dominicans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Central Americans, South Americans etc. are also technically AMERICANS.

FYI America is divided into 2 continents.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find it very odd the way Americans so often refer to themselves as '1/16th Cherokee; 1/24th White Russian; 1/3 Irish'... what's that about? I don't know any other nation that does that. (And that's not because the US is somehow uniquely an immigrant culture, before anyone suggests that's the answer.... )

Because we are proud of our country but also proud of our ancestors. Just as we would expect others to feel pride about their countries and heritage:)
  • Lolamagana
    Options
    I'm CHICANA , in other words Mexican American. Mi dad is from mexico and mi mom is from here the U.S.A my moms grandpa is frm Texas and his parents are frm Mexico.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Mom is from Spain, dad is from Cameroon. Ba-BAMMMM! Hahaha
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    No fair, OP, I have to go back further than my parents to not be a boring white girl. I object to your restrictions! :tongue:
  • 1nr15
    1nr15 Posts: 155
    Options
    100% Italian
  • AGGUK73
    AGGUK73 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    100% English & proud :)
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    North-Western European mutt. Excellent temperament, easily trainable.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Irish, Polish, French, and German.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    That is why I did not say I was American because Of Canada, Central America, and South America. But, when others refer to US citizens as Americans...usually people understand that it is the United States of America....you do not think that they are talking about Canadians or Mexicans or Colombians. No offense should be taken when we call ourselves Americans when people from other countries also call us Americans.

But you all need to realize, that there are some people that truly do not know their ethnicity. My mom is adopted....we know nothing. We are not close to my father's side....we know nothing.

And If people from Germany can say they are German, and people from France can say they are French, I could literally go on and on....there should be nothing wrong with people that have generations being born in the US saying they are "Americans" or US citizens.
  • Cookie_Monster_69
    Options
    FuLL Italian Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    my ancestry.

Scottish
    Scottish
    Scottish
    Scottish
    banged an Irish
    Scottish
    Scottish
    Scottish
    banged a Brit
    Scottish
    Scottish
    Scottish
    banged a Norwegian
    Scottish
    banged a Cherokee
    Scottish
    Scottish
    Scottish
    ME!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Italian, Swedish, Scottish, Swiss, Native American
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    An American by Birth. My Mom's side I am full German, as far as I know. My Dad's side I am about 85% German, and the rest is Dutch. Both of my Dad's parents came over from Europe when they were in their late teens.