How do I exercise with my heart condition?

Options
I am 29. I have paroxysmal tachycardia. My normal resting HR is 100-120 bmp. If my HR gets to 150 bmp I faint or get sick and vomit, then faint. What type of exercise should I be doing?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    this is one i would take to a doctor to be safe
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Yes, your doctor should definitely be the one to answer that question! I hope you can find something that will work for you, though.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    that is a question only your doctor should answer.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Good luck in your goals and efforts. I'm sure your cardiologist has some suggestions for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    I was told to do whatever I feel comfortable with, since the "spells" weren't harmful.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Although you should consult your doctor, keep in mind that even walking at 2 mph burns 3 calories per minute. Take a stroll around the mall, stop if you start to feel faint, rest and do a little more. Do you clean house? Light to moderate house work burns 2 or 3 calories a minute. Use the tools in this program, MFP to calculate your BMR, it will tell you how many calories you burn a day without doing anything, so anything above being a couch potatoe is exercise. I speak this from experience, since I have an issue with my hip and can not do any real exercise without causing myself to become bed ridden for 3 days.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    you should ask your Dr for examples of what you should be doing. and sticking to exercise that don't raise your heart rate to much. you might want to think about getting a heart rate monitor so you can keep track of your heart rate and not wait until you feel faint to tell when it is elevated.

walking though might be the best thing for you along with weight training while keeping track of your heart rate.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Although you should consult your doctor, keep in mind that even walking at 2 mph burns 3 calories per minute. Take a stroll around the mall, stop if you start to feel faint, rest and do a little more. Do you clean house? Light to moderate house work burns 2 or 3 calories a minute. Use the tools in this program, MFP to calculate your BMR, it will tell you how many calories you burn a day without doing anything, so anything above being a couch potatoe is exercise. I speak this from experience, since I have an issue with my hip and can not do any real exercise without causing myself to become bed ridden for 3 days.

Also, I have a heart murmur, so I understand your issue. Do what you can, and count it as exercise.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? Not the power kind, just the old fashioned kind, you can gain a lot of strength and flexibility, you could also wear an HRM during workouts so when your HR starts to get high, just go into a childs pose until it comes back down.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You should consider discussing this further with your cardiologist and maybe even find one that specializes in treating tachycardias.

My son had SVT (I think paroxysmal tachycardia is derived from SVT) along with other surgically corrected heart defects. His cardiologist advised that if it was problematic or interfered with normal day to day activities then they would correct it. Our biggest concern was that he could pass out and hurt himself in the process. Several times his heart rate stayed high for so long that his teachers and coaches thought he was having a heart attack. He had a cryoablation 2 years ago and has not had any episodes, issues or side effects since. He even plays football, basketball, baseball and does Crossfit. While any procedure is a risk, this was worth it for our son to lead a normal life and not pass out and risk hurting himself.

Before we decided on the procedure he was shown some techniques to potentially stop the episodes when he noticed them coming on. I dont remember them exactly but your Dr should be able to guide you.

Good luck to you. There is a Congenital Heart Defect group on mfp that may be of help.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    re: How do I exercise with my heart condition?

A: by working closely with your doctor!

ETA: until you can get in to see them, light yoga and resistance (lifting weights) training should be good starting places
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to invest in a good heart rate monitor to make sure your heart rate stays under 150. As a heart patient myself, I u derstand your concerns.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? Not the power kind, just the old fashioned kind, you can gain a lot of strength and flexibility, you could also wear an HRM during workouts so when your HR starts to get high, just go into a childs pose until it comes back down.

Yeah I definitely agree with this. You can find a yoga class specifically geared towards relaxation or just a slower paced class. Also, lifting weights so long as you go nice and slow doesn't usually increase HR too much :) BUT I agree with everyone who says talk with your doctor!
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I do walk a lot. I work at a Veterinary Hospital so I am on my feet a lot. I will certainly talk to my Dr on my next appointment.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was born with a congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot so I know how you feel. I was always told to go at my own pace and slow down when tired. You should consult with your doctor about it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you actually know at what rate you get ill. why not get a good HRM, and do whatever you like doing and set the alarm for the threshold? I had a myocarditis last year and was not allowed to go over 130. I walked until I hit 125 BPM.

Of course you have already talked to a doctor. Now figure out a way to do it, you won't be sorry.