Need help with my food diary.

Options
I don't eat meat. Not for the reason's you may think. I don't like the texture. Before I started this my diet mostly consisted of rice, pasta and vegetables and fruit. I need someone who has been doing this a while to take a look at my food journal and give me some pointers. Thank you. Oh and those cupcake entries were from work parties. We had too many this month if you ask me.

Replies

• Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You will need to open up your diary so that people can see it!:smile:
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new. How do I do that?
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Ok, I found it. It is open. Any tips would be great.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast, its really important. I would also advise you make sure you get enough calories for the day. You seem to be pretty low some days. Also, just make sure you get enough protein from other sources, since you don't eat meat.

Once you get on track with that, you may want to try and eat a little cleaner. Everything in time.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Thanks for the tips...trying to get there.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My diary's open. I don't eat meat. Have a look - yesterday and today are pretty representative (I was traveling before that and just quit even tracking it).

I'd say - eat breakfast - whole grain cereals and fruit, or a smoothie with some sort of milk (I do almond milk), fruit, etc.

Add a bit more protein - you can do protein powder in a smoothie, for example.

Look at buying fresh fruits and vegetables and using those to snack on. You can dip them in fat free salsa or fat free peanut sauce - or make something of your own. Cauliflower really fills me up but I also keep carrots, celery and occasionally zucchini around.

I use Dr. McDougall's cookbook on making meals in '30 minutes or less' - if you want the correct title (because I'm winging it here) I'll get it for you or you can Google it.

Hope this helps.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you're needing more protein sources, I'd suggest nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is high in sodium, but it really has a good amount of protein in it. Land O Lakes and A&E are the two tastiest brands for lowfat/nonfat in my opinion. Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt.

Lentils are another good protein source without a meaty texture.

The diary looks like a decent beginning except it looks like you may need to eat more calories in general, but especially in the form of protein.
  • vegafalling
    vegafalling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also a "vegetarian" (I use the term very loosely) I do not eat any meat, but just because I have never liked the taste or texture. Do you like eggs? I typically have a poached or hard boiled egg in the mornings. Cheese also has protein, and I love beans! I love to eat hummus (a garbanzo bean dip) and you can dip your raw veggies in it for an extra serving of fiber! Also suggest yogurt, and certain grains are high in nearly complete proteins like Quinoa or Amaranth. Hope this helps!
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much meat also. On the days I am high on carbs and low on proteins I am more hungry. To help, I have a lot of cottage cheese, feta and 2% milk cheese, and Kashi Go-lean Crunch cereal. Parmasean cheese is decent in protein and lower in calories too. But be careful... sodium levels can be high. Feel free to look at my diary. I have traveled a lot this week, so you may want to look at the logs from a week or so ago. Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    IMO you are a little short on calories, I would try to bump those numbers up 200 Cals at a time until you start losing weight. Second, I would suggest you drink more water (clear pee is a good start). I notice that if I drink less than 14 cups a day I do not see very noticeable weight loss.

MFP is a good tool at getting you started, but I have been operating 350 Cals under MFP's suggestion (ending up with 1600 Cals/Day) with excellent results. You probably should consider some fake meat to help you along (veggie burgers, ribs, etc) that is assuming there is no problem with those textures.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat. Not for the reason's you may think. I don't like the texture. Before I started this my diet mostly consisted of rice, pasta and vegetables and fruit. I need someone who has been doing this a while to take a look at my food journal and give me some pointers. Thank you. Oh and those cupcake entries were from work parties. We had too many this month if you ask me.

I am a protein junky so any amount less than 60/day is sinful to me, so I don't think that I can be of too much help. I also try to keep my carbs below 150 as much as possible but yours are way above 200.

You can increase your protein intake with eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, regular low fat cheese,Greek yogurt, and protein powder if you are a vegetarian. You don't eat any kind of meat (fish, chicken, pork, beef)? so maybe you can search for vegetarian cookbooks to try to increase your protein.

Regardless of everything, increase your vegetables, fruits, avoid sugars and process foods, and do try to eat something for breakfast. It seems to me that you are eating below 1200, and that is not recommended. Good luck!
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Check out 400caloriesorless.com Lots of ideas there. I had chicken & pasta bake tonight. It was great, and would have been just as good with extra vegies instead of chicken. Use recipe builder under the fo tab to add up the calories in a recipe. Think of substitutes for the meats. I don't eat red meat because I had my galblader removed a few years ago and now it does terrible things to me, so I substitue, sometimes portabella mushrooms can have the same effect.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I don't eat eggs, again texture. Everything else seems very reasonable. I'm excited to start doing this properly.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    good job starting to educate yourself.

I always think protein (and veggies) are better with a bit of natural fat. "natures ketchup" lol
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed in April and it seems everything I eat disagrees with me. Waiting to see a nutritionalist now...my digestive doctors have exhausted all options and I suggested seeing a dietitian. They weren't very happy with that but they haven't been successful in their treatment. I started MFP to try and get a jump start on the whole thing since they want you to have a food journal for a week before they see you.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed in April and it seems everything I eat disagrees with me. Waiting to see a nutritionalist now...my digestive doctors have exhausted all options and I suggested seeing a dietitian. They weren't very happy with that but they haven't been successful in their treatment. I started MFP to try and get a jump start on the whole thing since they want you to have a food journal for a week before they see you.

I had that surgery in 1999, also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and congestive heart failure. Your body is probably still adjusting but I think a great cure is getting rid all the processed "unnatural" foods if possible. Trust me if I can do it most anyone can. Good Luck!