Feeling sick after starting diet

Options
Its been about a week since i started diet and Adipex 34.7mg and now I feel sick. I have a bladder infection, dizzy, nauseated almost everyday, and to add Iam breaking out on my face. All this could be coincidence but has anyone else had any issues when started dieting and what can i do to help illiminate the side effects. Iam excited that Ihave lost 10 lbs. just wish i felt better i heard your body goes into shock but this is ridiculous!

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I am guessing it's more likely side effects of the phentermine you are taking. You might want to stop taking it and talk to your doctor.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What kind of "diet" are you doing? Just eating healthier will NOT cause these symptoms, but certain extreme diets might. It's more likely side effects from the Adipex though.
  • tdorton
    tdorton Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's the Adipex that is making you sick. I took it a couple years ago and it did me the same way. You really need to stop taking it and then you will start feeling better. You can still lose weight without it, it may not be as quick as with the pills but I promise you will feel better.
  • doxielover08
    Options
    I know the Adipex can cause headaches nausea and dizzy, but my doc said that after a couple of weeks this would subside. Iam trying to stay under 1200 calories and i do water aerobics, and walk an hour in the pool. Due to recent back surgery and severe Asthma extreme work outs are not an option. I f it was not for Adipex I would not be doing so well, so I hope when i talk to the Dr. on Monday he will have some good advise.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about the 10 pound weight loss in one week. It's recommended that we lose 1-2 pounds per week. It could be the phentermine, but I wonder what else is going on. See your doc.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?? Hope you feel better.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I know the Adipex can cause headaches nausea and dizzy, but my doc said that after a couple of weeks this would subside. Iam trying to stay under 1200 calories and i do water aerobics, and walk an hour in the pool. Due to recent back surgery and severe Asthma extreme work outs are not an option. I f it was not for Adipex I would not be doing so well, so I hope when i talk to the Dr. on Monday he will have some good advise.

I would suggest that you are not eating enough. Your diary is private but you have a fair bit to lose so under 1200 is probably way under your total daily expenditure.
    Also, side effects of the Adipex are likely also contributing to your symptoms.
  • doxielover08
    Options
    Tell me about it I can say I have changed my diet drastically example no cokes no carbs no sugar no snacks no late night eating basically no fun. I have been doing lots of cardio. So in away iam surprised and in away not. Iam pretty sure next week ill come to a stand still. Infact all the pool exercise could explain the UTI.
  • doxielover08
    Options
    No not really and i know that can cause UTI's and all the other side effects but i have a bottle next to me and are forceing it down. I have no appitite due to adipex so i forget to have my H2O thanks and by the way you look awesome! I hope I could look as good someday.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it I can say I have changed my diet drastically example no cokes no carbs no sugar no snacks no late night eating basically no fun.

For me this would be setting me up to fail (and for a huge binge) I'd keep SOME things you love for the meantime and try and make better substitutions. 1200cal seems very low if you want to lose 100lb! I need to loose 50-60lb and I've set mine at 1400, its amazing what a difference the extra 200cals can make.

Feel free to add if you need support x
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    One of the risks with Adipex is Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. The medical site I looked at says if you have dizziness on that medication you should let your doctor know because that could be a symptom of PPH.

Seriously, that medication is not good to play around with. My daughter's therapist reported she has had multiple clients take it (teen females) who actually had heart attacks.
  • jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Some symptoms might be due to diet change- with a dramatic drop in carbs you can expect to feel tired for several days, and many people have headaches for a couple of days. Your symptoms seem more severe and are likely due to the med- it may just take time to adjust, but check with your doctor.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    probly the pill, but maybe sugar levels? i cant keep mine up, so i can relate.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    What you are taking is essentially pharmaceutical grade methamphetamine. That's an over simplification, but by much. It can do very strange things to a person. One thing people seem to always forget with meds, doctors included, is that every persons chemistry is different and what works for one person doesn't work for another, or makes that person very sick. I have experienced that first hand. So, I would certainly suggest talking to your doctor about that and making sure all is well with the pills.

I don't know what your diet was like but if you change your eating habits drastically and did things like cutting down on sugar, caffeine, processed carbs and all the other junk most of us are use to eating, your body can get pretty darn mad at you for a while.