Moving Advice PLEASE!

Okay so me and my family (partner + me, 2 kids) are moving from NSW to Victoria very soon. As in ASAP.

He's put in his 2 week notice at work, and we're planning to fill up the car with irreplaceables and go to his sisters house until we find our own rental.

Problem is. We need to empty this house. We're planning on having a huge garage sale, what doesn't sell take to the pawn shop/charity and whatever is left to the tip.

I'm just a bit nervous that we won't be able to clear out the house within 1-2 days to avoid having to stay on my mothers couch for long.

Basically I'm looking for advice on how to get rid of everything smoother.... if there is anything I haven't thought of? Just freaking out a little... ok a lot?! lol.

Don't need advice on how to BUY second hand stuff once we move, we have all that sorted out. And we really don't want to be putting anything in storage cause we wanna cut all ties to this place.

HALP? haha ><

EDIT: Please don't try to tell me we're being irresponsible ect ect, we had been planning a "proper" move (getting a new job/rental beforehand, hiring moving trucks ect) for over a year and a half and it just isn't happening. We are both fed up and we need to just GO!

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Put an ad in the online local paper, craigslist, and other social media, and put signs up in the area. Remove anything that you want to keep and post signs in the house that say EVERYHING is for sale...make an offer. Accept all reasonable offers. After that call around to all the local thrift stores and charity organizations and tell them that everything in the house is a donation. See who has an interest. THEY must remove it by what ever date. Anything remaining after that goes in the trash. You may not make much money, but in that situation any $ is better than none. Good luck!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,485 Member
    Check the yellow pages for dealers specializing in estate sales. You won't get great money for the unwanted & unsold items but it will be gone... and you'll get some cash...
  • Put an ad in the online local paper, craigslist, and other social media, and put signs up in the area. Remove anything that you want to keep and post signs in the house that say EVERYHING is for sale...make an offer. Accept all reasonable offers. After that call around to all the local thrift stores and charity organizations and tell them that everything in the house is a donation. See who has an interest. THEY must remove it by what ever date. Anything remaining after that goes in the trash. You may not make much money, but in that situation any $ is better than none. Good luck!

Thanks for that :) Yeah we're not looking at getting good money for stuff, it costs a RIDICULOUS amount to take stuff to the tip, so if it's gone, it's a saving!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    what about gum tree

try to get rid of much as you can now and have minimal stuff. you'll survive without all the extra stuff.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    I dont know if you have time for my advice but I hope I can help.
    I moved four times in the last twelve years. Kids, husband, pets across states in usually less than two months notice.
    I recommend getting a dumpster, or someway to separate and transport items that you know has no value out of your sight line (stress line). Get rid of trash first.
    Craigslist - advertise as an estate sale.
    Get a storage "pod" to put boxed items like dishes etc., that you will need right away at your new home.
    You will, as you already know have items that are left after the sale. Set up a firm date with salvation army or a charity that may pick up at your home.
    Don't forget about chemicals, insecticides etc., that you won't want to move. That always became a nuisance for me whatever state we were in because of the laws for proper disposal.
    Most of all, ask for help.
    Good luck:flowerforyou: