Just joined and trying to figure out how to food shop

Options
Hi,
I am a new member and I would like to know how you ladies and gents shop for food. I personally know someone who lost 90 lbs since Jan 2012. I could ask her but I want to surprise her when I lose 90 lbs. Any suggestions on weekly meal plans.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• foodisfuelforlife
    Options
    I plan my week and shop accordingly. I also read every label and buy as much of my produce fresh as opposed to in a can or frozen. Writing a list and sticking to it also helps!

And don't but ANYTHING you would normally binge or boredom munch on :)

Mind you I'm only shopping for me so it's a lot easier

Good luck!
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the supermarket. Most, if not all, the fresh foods are kept there. Processed foods have a longer shelf life and are found in the middle aisles. Except my commissary/supermarket is getting savvy and putting huge displays of sugary cereal at the entrance.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fresh stuff rather than ready made or pre-packed.

Lean meats and fish - chicken, turkey, cod, tuna, salmon

Dairy - eggs, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt

Fruit and veg - whatever you like!
  • Mstay35
    Mstay35 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you, I just recently started back on this program and plan to succeed this time around. Hope you have met and maintained your goals.
  • Mstay35
    Options
    Thank you will keep that in mind. Just starting up again.
  • Mstay35
    Options
    Great! Just started up again. Congratulations on your progress.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend do our major shopping once a month. We try and plan meals that will have leftovers for 3 or 4 days. Lots of frozen chicken and veggies. And organic brown rice from Costco. We don't limit anything, like saying no pasta, just smarter choices, like whole wheat pasta etc. As for actual meals. I love my Cook this, Not that cookbooks. So many yummy meals under 500 calories on average.

Good luck on your journey :)
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Hear hear! The more colour variety in your foods, the better. Less boxed/pre-packaged items. Don't ever tell yourself "I can't stop by the market today" because ... well, because you CAN. Get loads of fresh fruit and veg, fish, lean meat, etc. Then go back to the veg and realise you didn't get enough the first time around. :wink: Expect to go back twice a week for more fruit and veg.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't just shop at one market. Best advice I ever got from my doctor.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I make sure that over half my cart is fresh produce; vegetables and fruit. I only buy whole grain bread, and nothing sweet. No chips. Nothing that will be something I crave in a moment of weakness! I do keep ice cream on hand, though. In a freezer that is in the garage. For a day when I have calories to spare!!!!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    While I think that fresh fruits, veggies, and meats are awesome, I also think it's a good idea to have a ready supply of "staples" on hand for when you are tempted to order pizza.

Examples of what I mean:
    Canned tomatoes
    Canned beans (garbanzo, black beans, etc)
    Frozen vegetable medleys (great for making stir-fries)
    Bags of frozen pre-cooked chicken breast strips

(Note: I am not the main cook in the house -- my husband is -- and so my "quick meals" are pretty much the only meals I make because usually he's cooking. I have no idea how he meal-plans....elves and magic?)

I am also a relative newbie. I have to admit that I have found the packaged foods really helpful -- especially at the beginning. I am "on-the-go" a lot and so it is really convenient to have the 100 calorie pack snacks to keep in my desk or in my car for when I am tempted to stop in at a gas station and grab a product that is more expensive and less healthy. So easy to record, just scan the bar code and eat.

I wouldn't make snacks the mainstay of your diet, of course, but because most posts so far have warned against any processed foods, I just wanted to add one way in which I find them really helpful for newcomers.

ETA: The 100 calorie packs also are a good way to train your body about portion control. You start to feel more satisfied with less. They have these little 100 calorie packs of cinnamon roast almonds that I like a lot. Normally, I would have eaten that many almonds in one handful. Instead, I find myself eating one at a time and being surprised at how long it takes me to eat them and how satisfied I am at the end of the bag. I have started buying other almonds in bulk and adopting similar portion sizes, now that I know that that really is enough to satisfy me.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Best shopping advice I can give is this: research some recipes, make a list and add up how much (roughly) your shopping is going to cost before you go.

Simple right?

Stick to the list. Do not impulse buy. Do not browse the aisles. Buy ONLY what is on the list.

It is MUCH harder than you think but you will get what you need.

EDITED to ADD:

Treat your calories like dollars in the bank. Spend them on meals and snacks according to your priorities. Think about what times of day are you the hungriest. Work out roughly how many calories you want to spend on that meal, then work out a portion for your other two meals and set aside a reasonable amount for snacks and drinks.

Then google recipes for that calorie amount....for example, I set aside 1250 kJs for breakfast 1500 kJs for lunch and 2000 kJs for dinner. The rest is snacks/drinks/fruit etc. I try to keep around that number so I google for recipes and plan out what breakfast lunch dinner is going to be, then if I have some kJ's left I have my snacks etc.
  • ranranbolly
    ranranbolly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A tip to make it funner, there are always interesting fruits at the grocery store where I live. If it's the same for you, don't be afraid to try them when you get the chance. They're a wonderful opportunity to discover something you may love even more than something like a pudding pack (I recommend the chermoya if you see them.)

Another thing to keep in mind is seasonings. Things like cumin, turmeric, and freshly chopped parsley can pretty much go on anything and make it way tastier when you cut down on sodium.

Edit: And have you ever tried cactus/napolitos? They're delish when you prepare them just right, and taste like tangy okra!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Hear hear! The more colour variety in your foods, the better. Less boxed/pre-packaged items. Don't ever tell yourself "I can't stop by the market today" because ... well, because you CAN. Get loads of fresh fruit and veg, fish, lean meat, etc. Then go back to the veg and realise you didn't get enough the first time around. :wink: Expect to go back twice a week for more fruit and veg.
    Do you have access to a Farmers Market of some sort? A lot of times getting fruits and veggies directly from the person growing them can be cheaper than a super market, especially if they are grown organically.
  • jeanie2108
    jeanie2108 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have just re-joined after a long break and lack of commitment. After doing a bit of looking around online, I have found a few recipes that could be cost effective for me. When I cook our evening meals, I am cooking for 7, so have to tally up the cost a little before starting. Not to mention taking into account everyones likes and dislikes. Now that I have re-joined and determined to stick to it this time, I also have calorie count to take into consideration.

I also do not want to be repeating the same recipes over a period of a few days either. I want to add variety to ensure that the kids eat their meals.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm curious if your friend who lost 90 pounds kept it off and if you ever asked that person questions (its been a year and a half, right?).

I try to keep a lot of staples on hand so I know I always have the right foods available for any meal. For example I try to keep non-fat greek yogurt and a dry cereal like shredded wheat (no sodium) or grapenuts to mix together for breakfast, or eggs and bacon (two pieces bacon and 1 egg for breakfast = 150 calories so add a slice of bread and some fruit for good calorie/nutrition total), quality canned tuna, chicken breasts, salad fixings, almonds, hard cheese, lean burger, some frozen shrimp, chicken breasts, peanut butter, lots of fresh veggies that I know I will eat, and lots of fruit that I know I like and will eat; oh and some avocados.

I don't much care for frozen dinners but I do like certain prepared foods from Costco like their chicken tortilla soup (130 calories) and crab ravioli (280 cals I think) but those are high in sodium like most pre-packed/prepared foods and all canned foods, imo.

Good luck.
  • ElidaBravo
    ElidaBravo Posts: 41
    Options
    I am a foodie, i love to cook. As a good cook, i believe in FLAVOR and seasoning your food well. I could make most veggies taste good, its all in how you prepare the food. Roasting or grilling veggies makes such a difference versus just boiling or steaming... its about being creative and enjoying your food while you're trying to lose weight. Dont make it dreadful and so strick that you end up quitting. Set yourself up to succeed!

Slow digesting carbs
    1. brown rice, fresh takes a long time, frozen organic brown rice is convenient!
    2. 100%whole grain bread,
    sandwich thins, or wraps have less calories about 80- 100 per serving versus the heavier denser the bread, 90-120 per slice, but more filling, depends on what stage of your diet you're in.....
    3. Sweet potatoes,

Lean Proteins
    CHicken, breast meat is best, roasted, or grilled, no skin.....dont buy the premade/packaged unless you have no choice
    Roasted Turkey breast
    Lean Lean Ground Beef
    Whole foods nitrate free baked turkey breast lunch meat
    Fresh baked white fish, haddock,salmon,tilapia,skate....etc

Higher fat proteins
    Turkey Italian Sausages...higher in fats, but needed occasionally when cooking meals ie white chilli, tacos, meatloafs,
    Chicken sausages...great for grilling, sauteeing with olive oil n veggies
    Canned tuna in olive oil....Genova brand, 2oz 110 calories
    Bumble bee smoked salmon, yummy
    Canned skinless, boneless sardines in oilive oil.....yes, higher in fat, but very satisfying, loads of Omega 3's

Lower suger fruits,
    Grapefruit
    Pears
    Apples

Fruits higher in suger, but good as snacks/fillers
    Bananas
    black/red grapes
    summer fruit---cherries/watermelon/peaches/plums/pineapples/apricots/mangos

Good fats
    Extra Virgin Olive oil
    VIrgin Coconut oil (this will be solidified in the container, but there are many many uses for this, a must have!)
    Grapeseed oil
    Avocado
    Almonds/walnuts/macadamia/sunflower seeds....nuts in general, but be careful, very high in calories, wont fill you up!
    Peanut Butter, low sodium, all natural Jiff.....i only use 1 tablespoon, 90calories
    Almond butter
    Coconut milk in cans (for recipes/smoothies, but you have to learn to use correctly, high in calories/fat)
    Mozzerella
    Feta cheese
    Swiss cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Hummus
    Lower fat, preferably organic Mayo, for recipes/sandwiches

Sweets
    Baked sweet potato wedges/sticks......
    Agave nectar coffee/tea/baking
    Truvia for coffee/tea
    Organic honey, Manuka Honey.....a piece of whole wheat bread/ 1 tsp peanut butter, spread 1 tsp honey on top...sprinkle w/cinnamon...eat....
    Good quality chocolate.....really good quality though!

Snacks
    Diamond brand "Almond nutthins" gluten free, super crunchy, tasty
    Popped wheat thins, 26 crackers/ 120 calories......whole wheat, but be careful if watching carbs!
    Air popped popcorn
    Apple or pear with 1 tablespoon P-butter, or mozzerella stick
    2 hard boiled eggs, without yolk very low in calories, with yolk about 160 calories
    Cedars Garlic lovers Hummus....as a spread on sandwiches/wraps, or with veggies/crackers.....soooo yummy

Roasting veggies
    Califlower head
    brocolli
    sweet potatos
    red peppers
    zuchinni
    brussel sprouts

Grilling Veggies
    asparagus
    red/green peppers
    sweet potatoes
    potatoes in general
    zuchinni
    onions/green/sweet

Salad veggies
    cucumbers
    mixed dark greens
    spinach
    carrots/peppers/cabbage
    shredded cabbage salad (sooooo good)

Colored Veggies
    spinach sauteed garlic spinach, or sourcream n garlic spinach, or in soups/stews, casserols, salads, smoothies, juices
    kale can be baked, sauteed, juiced, smoothies, but dont eat it alone/raw, not the best that way.....
    greens (southern style greens are sooo tasty)
    cucumbers diuretic, so versatile, as a snack or in salads/dips
    celery diuretic
    parsly for cooking, adds iron to everything
    cilantro for cooking, juicing, adds loads of flavor, minerals
    onions/garlic

Good seasonings to have on hand
    Rosemary, ground, fresh and dried
    Garlic, ground/dehydrated and fresh
    Chilli powder
    Cayenne & white and black pepper, chilli flakes
    Celtic Salt, Redmond salt, good quality Sea salt any of these or if you're like me....all of them!
    Cinnamon, Real Vanilla extract, Anise Extract & seeds
    Cardomon
    Sage/thymem oregano, basil
    Vinegar, organic cider, white,red wine
    chinese 5spice, greekstyle seasoning, seafood seasoning,

Dont drink your calories, ever! Add fresh lemon juice to your water, make flavored waters at home with:
    sliced cucumbers, lemons, basil........so many water ideas on internet, water doesnt have to be boring

there are so many free ways to learn about nutrition, fitness & weight loss....for example:
    Leansecrets on youtube, she is very knowledgeable and you can learn so much!

The Hodgetwins on youtube, Getfit4women.....those guys arent rocket scientists, but they are sooooo funny!

There are many more resources but i wont inundate you here, feel free to add me if you wish!

Good luck to you!

ELida