How much do you pay for your gym?

Options

Replies

• Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I workout at CrossFit and it's $130 a month. It's SO EXPENSIVE, but WORTH it.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Gyms around here - MD - are around 25-40/mo and I say worth it if you go around 2 or 3 times a week regularly. I suggest a trainer- if only for 1 day so you can feel comfortable with all the equipment.

Zumba classes are drop in all over my town- whether in a gym or not. I had a gym membership for 8 years and used it regularly. Then I got tired of paying to drive to a place (waste of time all the driving in this town) and invested in my home gym. Free weights, yoga mat and youtube has it all.

I like the group experience tho- so I zumba 2 or so times a week- drop in - $5. No commitment. I had an open ended contract so when I wanted out- I just quit. I suggest a 1 or 2 year contract or open ended. Those 40/mo- for 3 year deals suck. If classes change- atmosphere changes- or staff- you may want to change gyms and be stuck.

Just my 2 cents based on experience.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I pay $11 a month (combined) for our gym membership. It costs more if you want a personal trainer. But there are no classes. It's basically just your standard workout equipment with trainers available. I wish the gym had a pool though. I'd really prefer a 24/7 gym but the nearest one to my apartment is about a 30 minute drive. No thanks!
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    The gym that I go to is actually a 'wellness center'. For me and my 2 kids (the kids are free if you sign up for a year) are 55 dollars a month.

That comes with a free daycare, a giant indoor pool, an indoor basketball and tennis court. A ton of machines, all with TVs on them. An indoor track. There is also a kid's gym and a ton of classes. And a whirlpool and a sauna.

I also like my gym because it's geared more towards older folks and people that need help getting healthier after surgery and stuff. Not a bunch of meat heads making you feel bad because you can't lift 1000lbs at a time. I had 2 horrible surgeries and they left 2 7in long scars on my stomach with no muscle at all. Once you cut muscle it doesn't reconnect like fat or skin. Or, at least, that's what they explained to me.

I love my gym. It's a lovely place to be alone for an hour lol
  • lexif14
    lexif14 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm from australia gyms here are approxmately $17 to $25 per week plus a $150.00 membership fee
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    It's part of my college tuition. If I were to go to the same gym once I go alum though, it would be $50 a month.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    We have a family YMCA membership and it's around $80.00 a month, but WELL worth it.

We have access to the gym, basketball courts, racket ball and tennis courts, swimming inside and out, jacuzzis saunas, weight rooms, cardio rooms, group classes of all kinds, and there is a trainer always there and you can ask them questions.

We also get 3 hours of FREE (included) child care for our son (could be ALL 10 of your kids if you have that many, price doesn't go up) The time frame you can drop them off and work out depends on the age, the least amount you get it 2 hours.

I can also use ANY YMCA in our area, I don't have to stick to just one. So, if I need to go across town to make a class I want, I can.

We totally love it and it's soo worth it!! Our son begs to go so he can play in their IZone area. The child care watcher are all very nice too and remember his name. Also depended on how busy the YMCA is that you use, the child watch/IZone times are pretty long. A couple in my area are open to watch children from 8:00a.m. to 8:00p.m. with no breaks in between.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My husband uses Gold's gym. I am not sure if they have classes. A combination of weight lifting and cardio is what you should target. Isn't Zumba cardio and "machines" cardio too?
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mine's a little pricey...150/month for a family of four (I think it would be around 75 for a single). It's very nice though- hot tub, steam room and sauna in the locker room, resort-like pool with waterslides, lazy river, outside hottub with a fire pit and a bar and grill, tons of great classes, amazing indoor pool, etc...Hell, just the locker room sold me- it is equiped with toiletries and has couches and armchairs and a lending library. It's a large gym, but at the same time it is warm and inviting (lifetime down the street had a cold hospital-like feel to it). The people there are awesome too!
  • TomKat428
    Options
    I pay $10/month for access to Ten Fitness. It's a well-equipped, no-frills gym in my area. If you upgrade to $20/month, you get access to tanning and access to Zumba and kickboxing classes.

In contrast, the local athletic club (with all the amenities you'd want in a gym) is $90/month for a single membership, plus a $300 joining fee.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA. I pay $39.00USD. In the winter my husband goes with me and we pay 45 I think.

Our YMCA has weights/cardio (very nice treadmills and bikes), and classes. It also has an indoor pool and basketball courts. The one on the other side of town, which I can also use, has an outdoor pool.

ETA: I work at a university, and get free access there. I use that sometimes if I'm at work, but find it annoying to visit work for (parking etc.)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    YMCA $55 for the family (includes babysitting so I can workout), and $15 for 1Fitness at work.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and am considering joining a gym - I'm going to see one soon, thegymgroup.com are a few miles away and are currently offering £10.99 per month - I'm 64 years old, weigh in at around 265lbs (19st5lbs or so) and have never been to a gym ever!! I really worry about my body shape and what people might think/say about me - but I think I am gonna have to go for it!!
  • skinnyBellgirl
    skinnyBellgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness ROCKS... $19.99 a month. I can bring a friend and it includes tanning. If you don't want to tan (or bring a friend) it's only $9.99 a month. NO EXCUSES!!! Access to the trainers is free too... can you tell I LOVE my gym?
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    $150 per year at Planet Fitness. No classes just equipment, but that is all I need at this time.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We pay $245 a year for my husband and me, I use it about 5x a week (my husband not so much). It's a city run facility with classes, machines and a great big pool. What a deal! before joining this we paid about $800 a year for a gym we didn't use very much
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    my gym is around $70 a month (australian dollars)
    it includes use of their pool, spa sauna. all of their fitness classes oh which zumba is included (i love zumba it's amazing), and use of the gym :)
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm from australia gyms here are approxmately $17 to $25 per week plus a $150.00 membership fee

Ouch!!! That is almost painful I even checked the exchange rate to make sure I wasn't missing something.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and feeling incredibly jealous of the cheap gyms in the US! My gym membership is £50 a month (around $75). It is one of the more expensive ones in my area though - but it's the only one that is both in walking distance of my home and has a swimming pool and sauna, steam room and hot tub. I make good use of it, so it's been worth it, but am thinking of switching to a cheaper one, which is about half the price and doesn't have a swimming pool - although I'm still not sure. I do like my gym - it has some really good equipment.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My gym is $90 a month, but it was a christmas gift from my father.