HELP ! following 1200 calories and I put 2 pounds on !

Options
Been really good for almost 2 months staying on a very honest 1200 calorie schedule, proud of my 14 pound lost, and then this morning up 2 pounds, Iam 60 years old, so it isn't a montly thing. Really discouraged this morning. I have set small goals for a long journey and I keep telling myself I just stubbed my toe, but a greasy bacon burger sure sounds good ! Help

Replies

• mcnuss911
    mcnuss911 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Two things.....women fluctuate between 2-5 lbs DAILY in just water weight. I don't get too excited till its 5 or more lbs because I do go up and down daily a lot (and its sucks) and 2nd if you are like me when you work out you gain muscle so its really hard for me looking at a scale. I do still weigh myself but I can't get to frustrated with 2-5lbs I try to go by how my clothes are fitting and taking pictures also helps.
  • ArizonaRon
    Options
    Two things.....women fluctuate between 2-5 lbs DAILY in just water weight. I don't get too excited till its 5 or more lbs because I do go up and down daily a lot (and its sucks) and 2nd if you are like me when you work out you gain muscle so its really hard for me looking at a scale. I do still weigh myself but I can't get to frustrated with 2-5lbs I try to go by how my clothes are fitting and taking pictures also helps.

Great posting here. Agree 100%
  • mexico4fun
    mexico4fun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Many things can affect the scales. Don't get discouraged and completely fall off the wagon. Take stock of the honest effort you have put in, stay on track and celebrate the overall changes you have made and the weight you have lost so far. Too many times, I have focussed on the short term rather than the big picture. I remember fretting over trying to lose the last ten pounds after losing 50 and gave up. Now I am starting the trek again, needing to lose 60 pounds all over again...I should have focussed on the positive instead.
    Stop and focus on the positive so you don't lose the progress and better habits you have already made!!!
    Stick with it sister!
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and it gets so hard the older you get, to lose weight. Give this site a look and see if you are eating the correct # of calories to really lose. I thought I was at 1200, but discovered I was wrong. I was eating way too low and my body was slowly not responding. Hope this helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I just read "In Place of a Road Map, very interesting. maybe I am eating too few calories. I did have a few days I was below in calorie intake. Tell me about being harder to lose as we get older, about 15 years ago after my divorce I dropped 60 pounds like it was nothing. (out dancing and doing a lot of activities). This time it is for a healther life.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I was of the generation that had the mindset that the only way to lose weight was to starve yourself and exercise like the devil was chasing you. Now? I am eating well and exercising about 3 - 5 days a week. I was so thankful when I found the roadmap. I was eating way too little and my loss had stalled. Once I upped my cals to what was health, I started losing again. Dan (helloitsdan) is awesome for helping you understand what you need to do to lose weight. He is also great about answering questions that come up as you set your new plan. I wish you good luck and good health!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we could give feedback.The main points :water, water and more water -watch your sodium :do not go below 1200 calories and eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • bootcampabs
    Options
    I woke up 2 pounds heavier today, too. I even went number two and was still 2 pounds heavier. i think it's just water, I mean, how can someone gain 2 pounds of fat in one day, right?
  • melannewis
    melannewis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would try weighing yourself once a week instead of on a daily basis. I get stuck in this trap too! I find that when I look at things on a weekly basis they usually seem better. Also I agree with taking photos and seeing how your clothes fit because that reveals way more than what you see on a scale.