Options

Replies

• Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jayadams86
    Options
    i'd just like to point out that when i started dieting and getting back on track, i was very obese and i easily lost 10lbs in the first weeks and about 7-8 in the second, i wasn't doing anything ridiculous to cut back at all, so 6lbs in a week for the first few really isn't that bad.

also isn't it kind of unfair to pick on someone that's just offering their help to someone, and giving good advice at that? it's not like he's telling people they should be eating 500 calories and exercising off twice that amount or anything...

Good job on the results! Keep at it. And your right; I am just offering help; because it's what I love. I can't help the amount of weight my clients lose; but I can help them become a better person. Not only do I see a change in their body and appearance; I see a change in their CONFIDENCE. They hold their head up high; I add years to their life and give them this new confidence to take into whatever endeavor they encounter; job interviews; new spouses; etc. they're happier. And healthier. That's what counts.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    Why cardio only 2x/wk? I have a program (trainer set up) to do strength 2-3 times per week (and I'm getting results!).. she scoffed a bit at the cardio I was doing because I often go 2x/day --- I live in a small town, the gym is a MAJOR social outlet, so the classes are kinda like my version of catching a movie with a friend. She did say it wouldn't help. However, on shows like biggest loser, they OFTEN say that cardio is the bread & butter of the program and they assign them homework of 90 mins or so cardio alone and then a trainer workout.

I am very focused on losing 17lbs (to get to 199) and then okay with more of a slow & steady approach, but that 200mark has been a major barrier for ages.

I'm eating a paleo diet (mostly low carb) and tracking calories with a FitBit. The FB calculations seem to be right on for me for weight loss.

Cardio is good but only for your heart health. Yes it burns calories but too much of it can burn muscle too; especially if your already in a deficit; the longer you do cardio the more calories burned which brings you in an extreme deficit causing the body to get energy; aka your muscle.
  • trishaknighton
    Options
    HA , ive heard MANY times by trainers as well as nutritionist that 6lbs. a week is NOT healthy for you
  • sparkle1908
    sparkle1908 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I am about to message you...as stated before, you are only offering advice...we don't have to take it...LOL
  • jackster54
    Options
    I have been going to the local gym and attending classes for 5 years or so, but for the past 4 weeks have been going hard at the gym and classes.. I can manage to burn 500 calories in 40 minutes on the treadmill, going around 6.6 speed, and on an incline of 15, its tough going but worth the calorie burn in the gym. I also attend classes 5 days per week, ranging from fit ball, body tone, steps and ab attack, all classes last for an hour, so feeling very fit and healthy. I eat mostly raw food through the day, inlcuding a green juice for breakfast and mixed raw vegtables for lunch, I usually cook something for dinner such as fresh fish and brown rice, with a steamed vegetable such as broccoli. I am 54 years of age, weighing 123lbs and am 5' 1. No matter how much exercise I do, I dont seem to loose any weight? All of my friends say they all think that I have definately lost weight, but I havent I still weigh the same, although my clothes have started to feel slightly loose on me,so I know that my body is shaping. Why am I not losing weight on the weighing scales after all of the cardio, weight lifting and stretching that I do? I would like to lose about 7lbs, but this is becoming impossible.
  • Sojaided34
    Sojaided34 Posts: 113
    Options
    I think you should do as much cardio as you want. I too had a trainer (for about 5 min) who told me I should be doubling my cardio. I was doing 5x/week cardio and 3x/week strength. He said that wasn't good enough. Mind you he talked to me for all of 15 min, asked no questions about my current eating habits and labelled me fat because he said I was lazy. Do what feels good for you. Trainers don't always have all the answers.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    his advise on the other thread was also dubious just like the other guy who had just become a nutritionist
  • stephvaile
    Options
    Why cardio only 2x/wk? I have a program (trainer set up) to do strength 2-3 times per week (and I'm getting results!).. she scoffed a bit at the cardio I was doing because I often go 2x/day --- I live in a small town, the gym is a MAJOR social outlet, so the classes are kinda like my version of catching a movie with a friend. She did say it wouldn't help. However, on shows like biggest loser, they OFTEN say that cardio is the bread & butter of the program and they assign them homework of 90 mins or so cardio alone and then a trainer workout.

I am very focused on losing 17lbs (to get to 199) and then okay with more of a slow & steady approach, but that 200mark has been a major barrier for ages.

I'm eating a paleo diet (mostly low carb) and tracking calories with a FitBit. The FB calculations seem to be right on for me for weight loss.

Cardio is good but only for your heart health. Yes it burns calories but too much of it can burn muscle too; especially if your already in a deficit; the longer you do cardio the more calories burned which brings you in an extreme deficit causing the body to get energy; aka your muscle.

ah and theres your answer as to why mfp say eat some or all of those exercise cals back so your deficit doesn,t become too large
  • daisydeeje
    Options
    Justin,

God Bless you!! Not many people offer their help to others with no strings attached. I hope that everyone who needs your help sees your blog and reaches out to you with all their questions. So many of us try everything on the market just to be let down when we don't know how to eat right etc... and gain it all back.

I am on day 2 of myfitnesspal and loving it!

There is a group of individuals that always seam to be overlooked in the weight loss battle. This is the women who have had children and were never told how to get back in shape at that time the 1980's. The years have passed by the kids are older now and the grands are here. We are worried about our health and embarassed that we have not got back to being ourselves for over 30 years. We look in the mirror and don't even recognize the person we see. All of us in our 50's have sustained injuries by now and have been treated with steroid meds etc.... We are so out of control we don't know where to start and our bodies reflect this. So, with that being said we need someone like you do the research and to write a book that will give us guidance and get us back on track it's not too late:smile: .
  • jayadams86
    Options
    his advise on the other thread was also dubious just like the other guy who had just become a nutritionist

I can tell you obviously know much more than me....
  • stephvaile
    Options

threads don,t get locked for no reason after only 5 pages maybe the moderaters thought so too .
  • Megz0405
    Megz0405 Posts: 38
    Options
    Years ago I weighed around 147 (5'4") & dropped down to around 125, then I worked out hard & went up to 130-135 but I loved the way I looked at that weight. I was also around 24. I am now 32 another child later & I stopped watching what I ate & working out & I gained it all back & then some. My starting weight now was around 172 & I want to get down to 130 but me being a little older is it possible to have my body tight like it was then? Also what part of S.Jersey you in? Im in Blackwood. TTYS!
  • jayadams86
    Options

threads don,t get locked for no reason after only 5 pages maybe the moderaters thought so too .

And you my friend have way too much time on your hands to go back and stalk my thread to see how many pages it was. Maybe the moderators are mad. But why? All I'm doing if offering advice that I've practiced in my gym and it works. When I'm at a computer again I'll even post clients before and after pictures to prove it. Stop hating on everyone and start living man. The world would be a muc better place if people actualy put the work in and stopped *****ing at the people who ACTUALLY put the work in.
  • dcipolone
    dcipolone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Jason,
    Will do and thanks, Debbie
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on where to set calorie needs for someone training for a half marathon? I'm 5'5" 160 and am in week 6 of my program. 39 years old. I have it set at 1567 currently and am not losing anything! I'm not gaining either though. When I run, I am starving!!!!
  • stephvaile
    Options

And you my friend have way too much time on your hands to go back and stalk my thread to see how many pages it was. Maybe the moderators are mad. But why? All I'm doing if offering advice that I've practiced in my gym and it works. When I'm at a computer again I'll even post clients before and after pictures to prove it. Stop hating on everyone and start living man. The world would be a muc better place if people actualy put the work in and stopped *****ing at the people who ACTUALLY put the work in.

im not hating i just don,t like people who claim to have certificates and then tell someone who eats approx 800 cals a day that they are on the right path there are alot of people on here with existing ed and flaunting your certificates makes them take your advise as solid when you have no idea of their full personal circumstances you admitted yourself you worded something wrong that can be dangerous to a vulnerable person
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you so much for your kind offer. Secondly, it's real simple, if people don't like what you offer/say, DON'T READ IT!!!! Move on to something else! Lord have mercy, I've never seen so many haters that keep coming back for more!!!

Having said that, I have seen/read every bit of advice you have offered from several different sources. Although, my problem is I am trying several different things at one time and nothing is working! I started out just counting calories, keeping my net at 1200. Then I got impatient and didn't eat back my exercise cals and it has taken me 6 mos to lose 5.5 lbs! I was only netting 300-500 cals/day. Okay, so I FINALLY came to realize that it wasn't working for me...so I started eating them back, adding 2 days of strength and now I have gained 4 lbs back! So, now I am going to start paying attention to carbs (my absolute weakness) to jumpstart my plateau.

My problem is that it is not realistic to think that I am going to stick to 20-25 carbs/day! Am I going about this the right way? I do eat a lot of frozen diet meals as my budget doesn't always allow me to eat cleaner. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have about 14-19 more pounds to go until I'm at my ULTIMATE goal.. should I reach that goal before building muscle/toning?