Weighing yourself

Options
For the past 3 weeks my scale has been going up 1lb then down 1lb. I think i need to hide it, since I step on it almost everyday. Since I'm not seeing results, its depressing me and making me want to eat and not exercise as hard as I have been.I'm not going to let it stop me. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if its normal for the scale to flucuate like this when you first start out. Also how often should you step on the scale and when(time of the day).

Replies

• dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    only on your weigh in day!!!!
  • jsgjmikel
    Options
    Weight is going to fluctuate daily so only weigh once a week. Pick one day a week to weigh in and do it at the same time and in the same place. Early morning is best like when you first wake up. Don't get discouraged. Keep going!
  • oceansablue
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that depending on what type of exercises you're doing you maybe creating muscle which weighs more than fat. This could add to your weight fluctuation. So, don't pay too much attention to what the scale says instead just focus on making sure you're eating right and have a variety in your exercise routine. Hope this helps.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself every Monday morning so that I know I should not binge during the weekends (binge eating is one of my biggest problems) - I do it first thing in the morning too. But I know it can be very difficult to resist weighing yourself every day if you see the scale in the bathroom so hiding it in the closet and only getting it out on your weigh-in day is actually a good idea I might just try :) Good luck!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For some people, weighing daily is a good thing. It keeps them motivated and allows them to continue on their path to a healthier life style, or to maintain their healthier life style. For you, this is not the case. Instead of helping, it is hindering. So you have two options. You can either continue weighing daily but only record one day a week (say every Monday) or just pick 1-2 days a week to weigh and that's it. I would go crazy if I couldn't weigh in daily, but I also know that my weight may fluctuate and that a general downward trend is most important. Good luck!
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    If the scale makes you that upset, then I would weigh in once a week or maybe even every two weeks. I personally weigh in every day because of the fluctuations. I figure that if I only weighed in once a week, then I wouldn't know if that day was a fluctuation on the high side, and maybe I was lighter the day before or the day after. I can also usually predict now when the scale will go up or down b/c I notice the trends b/t what I eat and how I feel and what I weigh the next day.

I learned mainly that eating a salty dinner, eating right before bed, and the day after a long shift in which I'm on my feet all day (holding extra water in my legs) causes the scale to go up, therefore I have an explanation for the increase and I don't worry about it.

If you're sticking to your plan and exercising, then there is no reason for you to gain any fat so don't worry!
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Daily weigh-ins help me stay on track but I actually LOG my weight weekly because weight does fluctuate, particularly at my age (why is that?). The daily weigh-ins are a 'friendly reminder' of what I may have been eating like for previous day or two. But everyone sees it differently. But definitely do not allow it to bring you down.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It doesn't just fluctuate like this when you start out, it will always fluctuate like this. If you're going to weigh every day, you cannot allow that number to mean anything to you (well ideally, that should be true regardless of weigh-in frequency). I weigh every morning "unofficially" and log the number as the "official" once a week. Some days it goes up, some days it goes down, some days it stays the same. But none of that is discouraging or upsetting to me because I know that it's just a number. It includes what I ate or drank, what water my muscles are holding, changes with what I eat or how much sleep I get or how hard I work out. All that matters is that in the long run, it's less than it used to be.

That number does not tell you how hard you worked or how good a person you are. It does not tell you that you're not trying enough or that there's something wrong with you. It does not tell you how you fare against every other human on the planet. It just tells you what your body weighs in Earth's gravity. That's it.

You can't control when your body will lose weight, or how fast it will happen. But you know that eating healthful foods, exercising regularly, and maintaining a caloric deficit will get you there at some point. If you just keep going, it'll happen eventually. And when you're at that goal weight, you are never going to care about those couple weeks it didn't go fast enough for you.
  • Cireeta11
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I've put my scale away so I wouldn't step on it everytime I walked past it, and I think im going to weigh myself twice a week. Maybe on Tuesdays and Fridays only.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    make sure you measure yourself also. I went a month without losing any weight but lost inches.
  • skinnyone2012
    skinnyone2012 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You might open your diary so we could take a look and see why you arent losing.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I tend to obsess about my weight and the scale. I do hop on once a day first thing in the morning to make sure I'm on track, but If I do anymore than that, especially weighing myself at night I get discouraged. Try to only weigh yourself every other day or every couple of days. The small fluctuations you see are no big deal, it's water! Maybe open your diary and see what people have for ideas as to helping change some of your eating habits for the better! good luck!