I tried eating back my exercise cals and it's bs!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you educate yourself. Eating 1000 calories and burning 600 during exercise is not going to help you in any way. That's a net of 400 calories. How are you supposed to fuel yourself properly on 400 calories over 24 hrs. You need food to survive. I so sorry to be blunt but I'm worried about your health. Keep this pattern up and I shudder to think of what could happen to you.

DO this.
    1.Find your maintenance caloric level.
    2. deduct your weekly deficit and divide that by 7 (3500 cal = 1 lb)
    3. Exercise and eat that to maintain the weight loss you calculated above or don't eat for additional loss. But
    never, go below 50% or your maintenance or 1200 net calories unless you are under a Dr. Supervision.

And then stand on your head and wiggle your toes
    Hold your breath for 77 seconds
    Put your left foot in
    Take your right foot out
    Dance the hokey pokey 'Cause that really is what it's about

And then realize that all this crap is based on 100 year old mathematical formulas that started life as a hypothesis. 1200 is not some magic, all powerful number. People lose weight on less and on more. People can lose weight eating ding dongs and pizza. If you're losing weight, happy with the result and remaining healthy, go you. If you have doubts as to your health, see a doctor, have blood tests and what not, they'll tell you if there is something you need to worry about.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    These kinda posts are pointless.
    Great that works for you, something else will work for somebody else.
    There's no right or wrong, it's just finding what works for you as an individual.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    So for several weeks I tried to switch it up by increasing my cals and eating back my exercise cals. Absolutely DID NOT work! I am no back to sticking at 1200 cals whether I work out or not and almost immediately noticed the scale going down! I knew eating more to lose weight sounded too good to be true. Here's what works: eat less, move more. Period.

Except that it works for a LOT of people, myself included. I don't know why it didn't for you specifically, but if you found something that does that keeps you healthy, then good for you.

THIS!
    When will people learn that their route to fitness has to be THEIR route to fitness? Sure, try different things, and see what works for you. But just because it doesn't work for you, does not mean that it's BS for everyone.
    Good luck on your path to health and wholeness!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day, and I don't eat back my exercise calories, because for me the point is to create a calorie deficit. I do find that when I consistently eat 1400 rather than 1200 calories a day, I do actually lose faster.

It does depend what the calories are from though. I eat a lot of protein and usually reach or go over my limit for that, but eat less than half of my car allowance and rarely go near my fat limit. I generally eat lots of fruit and veg.

I look at some diaries and although people are not eating their calorie limit, their carbs and fat are high.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you educate yourself. Eating 1000 calories and burning 600 during exercise is not going to help you in any way. That's a net of 400 calories. How are you supposed to fuel yourself properly on 400 calories over 24 hrs. You need food to survive. I so sorry to be blunt but I'm worried about your health. Keep this pattern up and I shudder to think of what could happen to you.

DO this.
    3. Exercise and eat that to maintain the weight loss you calculated above or don't eat for additional loss. But
    never, go below 50% or your maintenance or 1200 net calories unless you are under a Dr. Supervision.

Put your left foot in
    Take your right foot out

And then realize that all this crap is based on 100 year old mathematical formulas that started life as a hypothesis. 1200 is not some magic, all powerful number. People lose weight on less and on more. People can lose weight eating ding dongs and pizza. If you're losing weight, happy with the result and remaining healthy, go you. If you have doubts as to your health, see a doctor, have blood tests and what not, they'll tell you if there is something you need to worry about.

WOW my friend...you are sadly mistaken if you think you can eat ding dongs and remain healthy. Losing weight is a calories in vs. calories out...that's a given. 3500 +/- = 1lb and that's a given. You can eat ding dongs and lose weight but the healty part will not be there. There is a HUGE difference is losing weight and being healthy.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    There's no right or wrong, it's just finding what works for you as an individual.

Exactly...everyone is different and eating at different caloric levels. If you're calories are too low your body will hold on to the food you give it because it's not sure when it's going to get more food. When you eat back your exercise calories when you in this state your scale will start to move again. If you're not starving yourself and losing weight and NOT eating your exercise calories then you're at a good calorie level for you.
    So, if I have a goal of 1800 calories a day to lose 1 lb per week and I burn 200 calories in my workout and I lose that lb I'm good there.
    If I eat 2000 calories a day to lose 1 lb per week and burn 200 calories in my workout and don't eat those calories and I lose that lb I'm good their.
    It all depends on how you look at it or calculate it.

IT's not that hard. Stop making it difficult.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

DO this.

Put your left foot in
    Take your right foot out

WOW my friend...you are sadly mistaken if you think you can eat ding dongs and remain healthy. Losing weight is a calories in vs. calories out...that's a given. 3500 +/- = 1lb and that's a given. You can eat ding dongs and lose weight but the healty part will not be there. There is a HUGE difference is losing weight and being healthy.

*chortle* "ding dongs". Makes me think of John Bobbitt, not sure I really want to know what a ding dong is and pretty sure I don't want one in my mouth
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options

You are right that this whole post is pointless. Mostly because the OP is claiming they did something that their diary proves they did not do. They were still netting WAY below their required amount of calories. As such, there was no eating back of exercise calories happening. So they did not do it correctly and, as such, can not make a claim that it didn't work.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So for several weeks I tried to switch it up by increasing my cals and eating back my exercise cals. Absolutely DID NOT work! I am no back to sticking at 1200 cals whether I work out or not and almost immediately noticed the scale going down! I knew eating more to lose weight sounded too good to be true. Here's what works: eat less, move more. Period.

Well of course that works, you're starving yourself. If you're eating 600-900 a day NET because you're not eating yoru cals back, you're eating about what people who had gastric bypass eat for the first year. So DUH, of course you're going to lose. The difference is you're not doing something you can sustain.

I still don't understand why this concept is so hard for people to get! I totally agree with this poster I just quoted!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    People keep talking about calories. calorie is a measurement of energy. But in what form is this energy consumed ? carbs or fat ? and what did you burn glycogen or fat ?
    If you burn glycogen you need to replenish that by eating carbs, otherwise your body will be low on sugar. 1200 may contain enough carbs or may not, depending on the person and his diet. You could eat 12,000 cal of fat and your body will be starved and break proteins.
    If your exercise burns fat (you always burn some glycogen) you don't need to eat that back. Unless you want to replenish your fat stores.
    In short, make sure you get back the glycogen that you burn. It's easier said than done because it's hard to *kitten* how much is lost, so eat some carbs. Not too much.