what is zumba exactly?

Options
i signed up for a class before i did some research on it, and i read somewhere that it involves "*kitten*-shaking" and "sexy moves." i have to say i am NOT comfortable with those, so does anyone know if it's true???

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Check out zumba videos on youtube to see what it's like. It's a Latin dance based workout so there is a lot of hip shaking! I do it 2x a week and love it! It's so much fun and a great workout! Not many people can really move the way the instructors do so don't worry about that....we all look a bit silly!
  • lynne1224
    Options
    I do Zumba 5 X a week...and I have lost 53lbs.....you will burn an enormous amount of calories, tone your body and literally sweat the fat off of you.....it is a lot of fun and it doesn't matter if you are 120lbs or 350lbs.....no-one cares.....they are all there for the same thing.....to lose weight and keep it off.......there is a lot of hip shaking and "sexy moves" but they are for toning your muscles......try it out...if you don't like it, find something else....
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I'm not an out-going, shake-your-*kitten* kind of person either and tbh Zumba is still one of the most fun experiences ever for me. When you go to one of those classes the other people aren't looking at you, they're too busy enjoying themselves and keeping up with the moves.
    It's such a great workout and I'll bet you be glad you joined.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's not too bad - yes a little booty shaking but no pole dancing or anything :laugh: It's a great calorie burn! I have not yet taken a live class, but do the DVD's at home. They are a lot of fun! Give it a try - you can modify any moves that make you uncomfortable, but really its just Latin dancing - Samba, Merengue, etc. Have fun - I am off to do a little Zumba right now.

Check out the link to see how many calories you can burn per hour doing Zumba, and you'll be a believer - http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Zumba is an awesome, fun and butt kicking workout that incorporates Latin influences into the routine. I love it but have bad knees so can't do it.
  • Salce18
    Salce18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes that is true but you dont have to shake it if you dont want to, when I first started I did feel a little uncomfortable but after that you want to burn those calories and you have a good time with the music... You burn alot of calories.... Everyone has there own comort level it is up to you... but some people do and some pople don't .... I just started and love it...

What is Zumba? Zumba involves dance and aerobic elements. Zumba's choreography incorporates hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, martial arts, and some Bollywood and belly dance moves. Squats and lunges are also included.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the most fun, quickest hour (or more or less) of dancing, jumping, crazy shaking, flexing, pumping, jiggling, hopping, skipping, salsa, merange (sp), jumping jacks... that I have found to do. It is crazy fast but everyone and anyone can do it at their own pace. Everyone is doing it correctly! The more you go the better you get at following what the instructor is doing and the choreography. It's awesome FUN!
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! But I also love shaking my *kitten*!

72268768991205039_3nKwRAnY_f.jpg
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a Zumba Instructor. I hope I can help. The class does have a Latin flavor to it, so there is hip movement. You can be as sexy as you feel and shake if you like. The class is designed so that you get to decide how far to take it. If you have a good instructor, she will start each song very basic and add in hips and arm movement as it progresses, all of which you are free to do, not do or add on to. Really this class is about moving your body to up beat music and having fun. You will never be forced to do what you feel is uncomfortable. The instructor may encourage it but that is because many women like it and feel sexy while dancing however I highly doubt she/he would put you on the spot. I can tell who is comfortable with what. As an instructor, we are trained to be comfortable moving to the music many ways, to help everyone feel welcome and comfortable.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I agree with several comments here and I suggest that you try it and most importantly have FUN!
    I teach it and love it! One suggestion is to go to the front of the class so that you can see the way
    the instructor moves up close. It's like a adult game of follow the leader while burninng tons of
    calories!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I look like a drunk chimp when I do Zumba, but it is a fun class. I just pretend no one can see me LOL
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    I love Zumba, I've been doing Aqua Zumba for a year to help strengthen my legs after knee surgery. Also, in Aqua Zumba, the water helps cover any sexy moves. :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I go once a week and neither of us are the hip wiggle type, trust me! But it's not a problem that I have a non-existent sense of rhythm as we just have a lot of fast fun. And on the evening when I can't go fast, I still have fun! :happy: