Abs exercises make me want to puke...seriously

Options
Ok, so, yes I have a lot of weight to lose (about 100lbs) and my weight likes to go straight to my stomach...(boo!). Anyway, I really don't like doing exercises for my Abs because after I am done I feel like I am going to puke. Am I doing something wrong? This used to happen even when I was skinny. So I have 2 questions: 1. Am I doing something wrong? 2. Are there any exercises for Abs that you know of that won't make me feel like I am going to puke?

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I am not trying to spot reduce. I do a whole body workout at the gym. Abs happen to be part of the whole body..LOL. I can do all the other exercises and feel ok, but Abs make me feel like I want to puke. Also Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! I mentioned the weight in my stomach because it is big and fat and in the way. So I was thinkng maybe because I have a big stomach it might affect (effect??) how I feel afterwards. IDk. I know nothing.

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce, working your abs will not take weight off your stomach. Try compound exercises instead.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have no idea... I do planks. Do those make you feel like you have to puke?

And I also second what the first poster said. Doing a bunch of ab exercises isn't going to make the fat in that area go away. Since you said fat naturally goes to your stomach first, it should go away from there first too, so that's good news for you. You just need to stay in a calorie deficit and it will shrink. :D
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce, working your abs will not take weight off your stomach. Try compound exercises instead.

She wasn't asking about spot reducing.

As far as the puking feeling, OP..I used to have those during my intense Pilates sessions when I didn't have another protein before the workout. Maybe people with more education in fitness will say otherwise, but I'd try getting more protein before you do another ab workout.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'll wager that you eat too soon before workouts.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Yup, my buddy's right. There's other exercises that will work more muscle groups and work them better than straight ab exercises. When I walk or hike, my lower abs are sore after a while, along with my legs and back muscles. As you lose weight, the fat will come off.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises make me feel like I'm going to puke too. I do them anyway though, and give myself a big pat on the back for putting up with the general crappiness of it. If it's bugging you, you could do exercises that focus more of just an isometric contraction of your core, like planking, yoga, or pushups (if you need to do pushups on your knees, just focus really hard on keeping a very straight line from your knees to your head, or do them standing against a wall keeping your body straight)
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • SLE0803
    Options

Well, this morning I ate some almonds and drank a bunch of water and walked 1.5 miles to the gym. The abs portion of my work out was at the end. hmmmmm.
  • SLE0803
    Options

She wasn't asking about spot reducing.

As far as the puking feeling, OP..I used to have those during my intense Pilates sessions when I didn't have another protein before the workout. Maybe people with more education in fitness will say otherwise, but I'd try getting more protein before you do another ab workout.

Thanks! I will have to try that! Maybe if I get more protein that will help. :)
  • SLE0803
    Options
    bump
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Is it because you get dizzy? Head movement? Maybe try some reverse crunches and planks?
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Well, this morning I ate some almonds and drank a bunch of water and walked 1.5 miles to the gym. The abs portion of my work out was at the end. hmmmmm.

yeah sounds terrible! u need to eat first then workout or have a shake at least!
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    By abs exercises do you mean crunches? Because there are good abs routines that you can do standing up. Have you tried those instead?

Something like this might help ...
    http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2006/09/ab-sculpting-without-crunches-video
  • SLE0803
    Options

yeah sounds terrible! u need to eat first then workout or have a shake at least!

Thanks! I should add that not eating a good b-fast is not normal for me. I had a lot of self-imposed time pressure. First we woke up late. Then I wanted to walk to the gym (which is 1.5 miles from my house), but here is the thing, my gym has child care until noon on Saturdays, so I had to make it there in time to get my workout done all by noon. And because I did this I didn't have time for a good b-fast. :( oh well. I have learned my lesson.
  • SLE0803
    Options
    By abs exercises do you mean crunches? Because there are good abs routines that you can do standing up. Have you tried those instead?

Something like this might help ...
    http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2006/09/ab-sculpting-without-crunches-video

Thanks! I haven't done a whole lot of ab exercises standing up! I will def try. (and yes, crunches, planks, v-sits all make me wanna puke, but today I did planks and v-sits)
  • rcockrell6
    rcockrell6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do the 10 min. Tiffany Rothe on you tube and it helps me. I do 3 of her video's and can feel the burn, But that's just me. Try that.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I"ve read here that Abs are made in the kitchen.... IE.. diet.

So I'm going to suggest that you skip the ab portion of your workout until you've dropped all of the weight you want to and then work on the abs?