• Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

:bigsmile:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I try to get the recommended 10,000 steps (5mi/8km) in per day but with my injury I haven't been able to since probably June. Once I'm healed up I'll start hitting it again. That's 35 miles/56 km per week.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    would like to run...because of bad feet I can't so I walk about 3mile at a brisk pace every other day. It's working fine for me. Also for anybody who doesn't know you can use google earth to map out your walk and tell you how many miles you will be doing and then you can store it.

Hey, I have bad feet too (rheumatoid arthritis). There's no way I can run but walking I can do most of the time. My ambition is to find shoes that allow me to do Zumba and DANCE !

You can get special trainers - they stick you on a treadmill and get you trainers to work with your feet, so you don't suffer from aches and pains. Quite pricey though (well, £100 - $160 US - $155 Canadian).
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I walked for the first 9 months I was on MFP. I lost in the 70+ lb range just walking. 2-3 miles a day 4-6 days a week. Sometimes longer, sometimes less. The past 3 weeks I have: Walked AVG 6.25 miles per week, Jogged AVG 11 miles per week, Biked 23 miles per week. I also will also go out twice a day some days. Even if its 20-30 mins at a time, its something.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    Turn in around - what can you walk in a day? i.e how much time can you honestly do it for? That's your answer.
    I have job which is very un-predictable in location so some days loads of driving other days not so much. I booked time in my diary today to do a real fat-buster walk and ramped up about 600 calories.
    Do what you can.
    I am in Northumberland so I can see the border from here.
    S.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    As of right now I am up too 37.4 miles walked this month. I walk 3 miles, 4-5 times a week. It's working for me so far. I am going to keep doing what works. If you are into Zombies, check out the app Zombies!Run. To track my walks, I use Mapmyrun. Mapmyrun can be used as an app or on the computer.

Thank you! Gonna check out that app.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    Turn in around - what can you walk in a day? i.e how much time can you honestly do it for? That's your answer.
    I have job which is very un-predictable in location so some days loads of driving other days not so much. I booked time in my diary today to do a real fat-buster walk and ramped up about 600 calories.
    Do what you can.
    I am in Northumberland so I can see the border from here.
    S.

Hi Macas,

Yes, I guess it does come down to that. What I need to do is get straight out there and get walking as soon as I get home to make sure I don't get 'settled in'. Easier at week-ends and at this time of year.

I can spare the hour or so for the 4 miler each night. Hell, I'd only be surfing the net in that time (like now, LOL) so might as well burn some calories.

T xx
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit because it adds in all the steps I take all day. I walk a lot in my job so five miles usually isn't an issue!
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    I love my fitbit because it adds in all the steps I take all day. I walk a lot in my job so five miles usually isn't an issue!

Everyone keeps mentioning these fitbits. Maybe I should get one!
  • kidsmom3
    kidsmom3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is a free app you can get on your phone. Tells you how fast u walk/run how many calories burned and how fast you are going. It comes in handy!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run and while it does show cals burned, its still not as good as a heart rate monitor. If Im walking its turned on. Granted, I like to look at numbers. lol

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • missalice7
    Options
    I walk an average of 3.2 miles everyday.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    go buy a pedometer,my wife and I walk 10,000 steps everyday at a minumum.Been doing this since 2009 and I am up to 14 million steps, 10,000 miles,35,000 minutes of walking, 900,000 cals burned, 50,000 grams of fan,but hey who is counting,lol.I am currently walking 10 miles a day,20,000 steps min,70 miles a week,,,
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    bump for later!!
  • mommyslilmen
    mommyslilmen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 miles every other day. I try to stay within an hour and am working on cutting my time, minute by minute. I have a couple of 5K walk/run races that I'm participating in next month and am just wanting to beat my personal time. Still trying to decide if I want to challenge myself to a 10K instead of one of the 5K's...we'll see, still have some time before I need to register.
    Walking is great! I don't see myself being able to jog or run in the near future, but maybe after I've lost 45lbs and I'm at my goal weight, then I'll feel more like running, or maybe not. =)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I like to make goals of just doing a certain route x times a week. However, I'm currently trying to push through w1d1 of the c25k
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm a lunchtime walker, 35-40 minutes which gives me about 2 miles per day, add in walking the dogs and it adds up. I use the Nike+ app on my Iphone it tracks my walks with a GPS and maps it, shows calories burned, it also lets me set little goals for myself, go further, faster etc. I just ordered a treadmill to use in the winter as I know I wont go out in sub zero weather..I'm such a wimp
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    go buy a pedometer,my wife and I walk 10,000 steps everyday at a minumum.Been doing this since 2009 and I am up to 14 million steps, 10,000 miles,35,000 minutes of walking, 900,000 cals burned, 50,000 grams of fan,but hey who is counting,lol.I am currently walking 10 miles a day,20,000 steps min,70 miles a week,,,

10 miles a day? Wow, that's amazing. I wouldn't have time for that! The pedometer sounds like a good idea, though - gives you a few goals to reach and such like...
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    I'm a lunchtime walker, 35-40 minutes which gives me about 2 miles per day, add in walking the dogs and it adds up. I use the Nike+ app on my Iphone it tracks my walks with a GPS and maps it, shows calories burned, it also lets me set little goals for myself, go further, faster etc. I just ordered a treadmill to use in the winter as I know I wont go out in sub zero weather..I'm such a wimp

Yes! Treadmills are essential, as you can say 'no matter what the weather, I'll go on a walk' you manage to talk yourself out of it. :smile:
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    I walk 4 miles every other day. I try to stay within an hour and am working on cutting my time, minute by minute. I have a couple of 5K walk/run races that I'm participating in next month and am just wanting to beat my personal time. Still trying to decide if I want to challenge myself to a 10K instead of one of the 5K's...we'll see, still have some time before I need to register.
    Walking is great! I don't see myself being able to jog or run in the near future, but maybe after I've lost 45lbs and I'm at my goal weight, then I'll feel more like running, or maybe not. =)

Wow - I do 4 miles in about 71 minutes at the moment - that's some serious pace you've got going on! :laugh: