Benefits of gluten free>?

Options
I AM STARTING TO GO GLUTEN FREE IS THERE ANY BENEFITS?

Replies

• MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Less bloating, living longer and many more. I suggest googling paleo lifestyle.

Im gluten, dairy and mostly sugar free ( i splurg every now and than on chocolate thats it) i cant remember the last time i ate something processed.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless you have a sensitivity/intolerance/celiac, probably not much.
  • RyanR0320
    Options
    Nothing at all
  • skinnybefore
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about 2 weeks now. I was trying to relieve acid reflux symptoms, but haven't been cured of that yet.

That being said, however, I feel healthier, less bloated, and my feet haven't swollen up since I started (first time this summer)!

I'm gonna stick with it and see if there are any long term benefits.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do gluten free because i live low carb. i'm not allergic or anything. doing it purely to lose weight, prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and just general health.

i think being in ketosis helps more than just giving up gluten, but its a great start =]
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The biggest benefit is that you'll have jumped on the bandwagon and can brag to friends that you're gluten free.

Unless you have celiac disease or a sensitivity / allergy there's no point (except you pay more for gluten free foods)
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    Other than breaking your Caps-Lock, none if you aren't gluten sensitive/intolerant/Celiac...:laugh:
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I AM STARTING TO GO GLUTEN FREE IS THERE ANY BENEFITS?

More calories available at your disposal.
    No more bloating.
    No more brain fog.
    No more sugar rushes.
    No more indigestion.
    Forces you to eat clean (minimally processed foods).

Of course again, this assumes that your body can't tolerate it well. Otherwise, just the 1st and last from my list.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i do gluten free because i live low carb. i'm not allergic or anything. doing it purely to lose weight, prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and just general health.

i think being in ketosis helps more than just giving up gluten, but its a great start =]

And people like you are the reason that people like me who *can't* eat gluten get **** from other people for jumping on the gluten free bandwagon. It's just a fad now and a lot of people automatically assume that if you are avoiding gluten, it's because you are trying to lose weight and don't take it seriously.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    And people like you are the reason that people like me who *can't* eat gluten get **** from other people for jumping on the gluten free bandwagon. It's just a fad now and a lot of people automatically assume that if you are avoiding gluten, it's because you are trying to lose weight and don't take it seriously.

I think no one in the past took allergies seriously either. Even if people weren't going gluten free, they'd think it was a fad. I bet if we were a small group they'd deny allergies exist. That happened to me growing up. There were tons of doctors who didn't believe in it. I wouldn't get so worked up - just explain to them why you're gluten free and hopefully they'll stop being so negative. Also, we don't know why she decided to be gluten free. She may have some medical issues and decided the best way to see if it helps is to try it - even the tests for Celiac's aren't perfect yet. Sometimes the cost of getting tested and doing all that medical stuff is actually more than just trying it for a few weeks.

I don't worry if someone decides to try it. If they find it benefits them, that's great. If not, they will most likely go back to eating wheat. It does help reduce product prices as more people buy gluten free products so I'm grateful that they now are making more stuff for those of us who do have serious gluten problems.
  • banshishi
    Options
    I eat pretty much eat gluten free because most gluten product are processed and processed food is nearly always higher in calories and has way to much salt in it, as high blood pressure runs in the family, and I am obese I figure avoiding too much salt should be part of my bid to get healthier.

There are arguments that it does this that and other to your body, intolerant or not, and then these arguments will be countered with no it doesn't along with a whole lot of links to sites to back each point of view up..til all becomes blah de blah....

Its your body...see how you go and see if you get any positive benefits from it, on the whole it seems most people agree that the less processed food you eat the better off you will be. I would rather eat a huge plateful of salad for half the calories than a tiny portion of bread or pasta thats my favourite benefit!
  • i do gluten free because i live low carb. i'm not allergic or anything. doing it purely to lose weight, prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and just general health.

Ketosis? Really? Why would you want to go into ketosis to lose weight?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The biggest benefit is that you'll have jumped on the bandwagon and can brag to friends that you're gluten free.

Unless you have celiac disease or a sensitivity / allergy there's no point (except you pay more for gluten free foods)

This
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    Going gluten free when you don't really have an allergy or intolerance can be unhealthy. Many gluten free foods are loaded with sugars, chemicals, etc. and have more calories than the products with gluten. Plus if you quit eating foods with gluten you are missing out on nutrients and can become deficient.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ THIS.
  • ennysmith
    Options
    I like your tips... These are really very helpful...Thanks for sharing!!!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Many gluten free foods are loaded with sugars, chemicals, etc. and have more calories than the products with gluten. Plus if you quit eating foods with gluten you are missing out on nutrients and can become deficient.

Actually, you might be surprised at the gluten free selections that are out there. Yes, there are some that have sugars but you can get around that by reading the labels. There are some better selections now. As for chemicals, I've looked at the ingredients on quite a few gluten free products and you don't see tons and tons of chemicals. It's pretty similar to what you see in everyday products that aren't gluten free. I've seen more chemicals in non-gluten free products. I buy freeze dried fruits for packed lunches - they are pure fruit and no chemicals. I do eat nut and fruit bars but I would have added those in even if I weren't gluten free due to my work schedule. It's a matter of what you choose to eat.

I also think there are a lot of people who forget that there are other sources for iron, zinc and other vitamins such as legumes, meats, cheeses/dairy, fish, chicken, vegetables, nuts and fruits. It's critical if you go gluten free that you learn about eating right and you'll see that increasing these areas will make you feel less like you're losing something. You'll come to love rice. :wink: Basically, if you go gluten free - don't rely on buying products. You'll be cooking more with real foods. That's not a bad thing.

Technically, most people who do eat wheat don't even eat the right stuff so they may as well be eating junk food. Here's a mini-article about it. If you aren't eating Whole Wheat you may as well not bother. Enriched grains are the equivalent of taking vitamins - you may as well eat a gluten free enriched bread at that point. Heck, most processed breads have horrible levels of fiber, yet the majority of breads in markets are the low fiber type. Technically, I think most people are probably suffering from nutritional deficiencies because of what they are choosing to eat. It's not a lack of wheat. Wheat is everywhere - the wrong type and they are just full of vitamins because they're pumped with vitamins - not because they are eating the wheat that has the vitamins.

Now, if you are going gluten free because you think it's suddenly going to make you lose weight, I wouldn't bother. She is right about the cost being really high. It's not cheap. I would recommend switching to whole grains instead of your typical breads. The only way to make it cheap would be if you use rice, potatoes, and maybe corn as your carbs for one month. Basically, cook for the month and make sure you eat tons of veggies, fruits, nuts and protein sources like legumes, meats, chicken...etc... If this is a test to see if something like an allergy vanishes, go that route to check it out and see. A balanced diet is really important.
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as having Celiac and I can tell you that I would never go gluten-free by choice. There are perks such as you do wind up eating less processed, healthier food but honestly the cost and hassle of it is not worth it (at least to me) unless there is a medical reason for it.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Man. I have been GF for almost 10 years and I have adapted and it's second nature now, but I continue to be baffled by people who, for no discernible reason, want to "give gluten free a whirl". What are they thinking! Maybe I will randomly try medical treatments for diseases I don't have, just to see what happens. Should I start with dialysis, chemo, or just start randomly shooting myself up with insulin? Surely all would have *some* effect on my weight... I'm so curious!

I'm not sure I agree that people who "jump on the gluten free bandwagon" are helpful to Celiacs. What I have noticed since that started is a preponderance of "gluten free" foods that are not GF *enough* for a Celiac. Like, pizzas at pizza places that use loose wheat flour in the same kitchen where the GF pizzas are prepared, etc. Most stuff at Trader Joe's, which has totally erratic manufacturing practices. Amy's frozen dinners (are they better now? I got glutened by them maybe five times consecutively before I quit, I freaking loved them). I think a lot of newly diagnosed Celiacs eat this stuff without realizing it's bad news, but I dunno.
  • banshishi
    Options
    Many gluten free foods are loaded with sugars, chemicals, etc. and have more calories than the products with gluten. Plus if you quit eating foods with gluten you are missing out on nutrients and can become deficient.

Now, if you are going gluten free because you think it's suddenly going to make you lose weight, I wouldn't bother. She is right about the cost being really high. It's not cheap. I would recommend switching to whole grains instead of your typical breads. The only way to make it cheap would be if you use rice, potatoes, and maybe corn as your carbs for one month. Basically, cook for the month and make sure you eat tons of veggies, fruits, nuts and protein sources like legumes, meats, chicken...etc... If this is a test to see if something like an allergy vanishes, go that route to check it out and see. A balanced diet is really important.

This is the route I use, I dont actually replace gluten products with gluten free products ie bread, pasta etc, I stopped eating it because I have IBS( along with the blood pressure issues) and was told that maybe gluten was making the symptoms worse. The symptoms did ease, but that might have more to do with the sheer amount of extra fibre now I eat lots of nuts seeds and veggies. What I do like about it is I can have a huge bowl of salad that I can pick over all evening with virtually the same calories as a couple of slices of bread, I also noticed less water retention and better skin and hair. which again is probably little to do with the gluten and more to do with what I am eating, I do find that without the starchy carbs, if I drop down to 1200 calls I feel a little less lively, but , what I can say is in terms of actual weightloss I dont believe the gluten makes that much difference, the calorie deficit is a calorie deficit either way.