Been here about six months, need some support.

Options
I am a career dieter. Ever since I was ten I've been on a perpetual diet. I am definitely an emotional eater. But since moving to South Korea, I have been a pereptual exerciser. I wouldn't necessary say I enjoy exercising but it is part of my life now. The problem is my weight keeps creeping up and I can't seem to stop it. I am less than I was 6 months ago but I am gaining bit by bit a little of what I have lost. I recognize the problem is me, and a bad habit of cheat snacking. But i am trying to be honest with myself. My nutrition here is limited as I am allergic to fish, don't like rice or kimchi and cannot readily get the vegetables or fruits I enjoy all the time. i am full of excuses as you can see. I recently redid my profile to sedentary. I am a esl school teacher but half the day I sit on my butt. I do moderate exercise for 30 minutes in the morning five or six times a week. Lately, I've been sneaking an extra workout in the afternoon. I have tried eating all my exercise calories, I've tried not eating any. Now I am trying reducing my daily activity amount from the second lowest to the lowest which for me is 1360 calories a day and eating all of my exercise calories. Not sure this is working for me. If anyone who has been successful could show me their food diaries, or offer some support, it would greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• AcetoneForever
    Options
    I know it is hard when you have just moved to another country and and traditional food there is different to what you are used to, I am kind of in the same boat having just moved to a new country nearly a year ago. Here people are oblivious to healthy living and everyday meals are high in fat because a lot of the food is cooked in butter or deep fried. I put about 15 kg since moving hear and am slowly starting to lost it but it does take effort.
    I advise you to try and embrace the new culture you are in because luckily you are somewhere where most food is wholesome and healthy, what about noodles instead of rice (not fried of course) and have you tried mixing your kimchi in with your meat and sauce to mask the tastes you don't like? I know it maybe be hard to find the fruits and veg you love there but maybe there is something you have not tried that yet that you might like experiment with what you have available, some of those strange fruits and veg may have flavours similar to ones that you usually eat.
    As for snacking I know that's a tough one, my tactic is to eat a piece of fruit but perhaps if your craving something sweeter you could try some of the korean cookies instead of the more western ones. Like cookies containing mochi because although they may have the same calories as regular cookies they usually have less fats.
    And don't be to hasty to throw new approaches out the window it may be a few weeks or more till you notice the results.