I need healthy meal ideas. Please help!

Options
I need healthy meal ideas, my dad is really picky so please just keep in mind these meals will be made for one. I don't want to waste vegetables/fruits, money is tight right now. I just need some healthy meals other than the usual salad for lunch and dinner. It gets pretty old. I eat a lot of grilled lean meats since there is a grill at my apartment. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm fixing baked salmon with maple glaze, mashed cauliflower, salad with herbs and tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Grilled or pan seared chicken, lean beef, turkey breast, and fish are great to start with.
    Consider adding grilled veggies as well. Any seasonal veg can be cut in planks brushed with a light italian dressing and grilled. It brings out the sweetness when they get those good grill marks. They are great right off the grill. Add a grilled or roasted sweet potato for a complete meal. They keep well in the fridge and can be added cold to sandwiches with some cheese or slice meat. You can dice them and add to a rice pilaf, or add to pasta for a good salad. They go great in pasta sauce both red and white.

Roasted root veggies are a good side as well - mix white and sweet potatoes with beets, carrots, parsnips, onion wedges etc. toss with some olive oil, garlic, rosemary and roast until fork tender - they are also good hot or cold. You can mix up you veggies and spices to change up the taste.
  • SuovieFit
    Options
    i find that is hard too cooking for one! I've heard frozen veggies are good to keep frozen and use little at a time for one person. also i LOVE to bake a quiche for breakfast egg whites broccoli spinach lean ham or no meat and a lil bit of cheese. you can add potato or a biscuit mix for a crust but i prefer just eggs veggies meat and a lil cheese. once baked i can reheat easily on the go to work and eat like a piece of pizza or for dinner too add a lil fruit with it maybe. and so easy to change up different meat and veggies and cheeses.

good luck!!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Look at this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/658405-35-quick-low-calorie-lunches

I have found many of the suggestions here to be super delicious and filling so you might try some. I usually make them on a 7-inch whole wheat high fiber, low carb wrap but you can follow it verbatim or put them on whatever your fave bread is if you don't like what's listed. I entered my favorites into the recipe calculator with the specific ingredients that I use so I can easily reuse over and over again. Worth a look! :o) Good luck and healthy eating!
  • tothetide
    tothetide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the help! Sometimes it's just easier to go for the unhealthier things when you don't have a concise plan for what you're eating.
  • tothetide
    tothetide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look at this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/658405-35-quick-low-calorie-lunches

I have found many of the suggestions here to be super delicious and filling so you might try some. I usually make them on a 7-inch whole wheat high fiber, low carb wrap but you can follow it verbatim or put them on whatever your fave bread is if you don't like what's listed. I entered my favorites into the recipe calculator with the specific ingredients that I use so I can easily reuse over and over again. Worth a look! :o) Good luck and healthy eating!

This link is really helpful!
  • TipsyT
    TipsyT Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Idea 1 - Whole grain tortillas filled with black beans, frozen corn, green chilies, onions, a LITTLE low fat cheddar if you want, and some salsa. Make a big batch, roll them up burrito style and freeze them in two layers of freezer zip-locs. When you need a quick dinner just take one out and nuke it for a few minutes. Top with your favorite fresh salsa. Add your favorite fruit for dessert.

Idea 2 - Peel and dice 2-3 sweet potatoes. Toss in a bowl with a chopped onion, 2 chopped apples, a little canola oil, salt and pepper, and a little cinnamon. Bake on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes at 425F or until potatoes are soft. You eat half of this for dinner with a salad or some other raw veggies. The next day take the leftovers and heat them up with 2-3 cups of veg or chicken stock to boiling. Blend all together until smooth. Have this soup with a lovely salad (you will probably get at least 2 servings). Add your favorite fruit for dessert.

Idea 3 - Saute onions, mushrooms, and peppers in a smidge of canola oil. Toss in a couple handfuls of fresh spinach (it's the top of the super foods list). Add 2 well beaten eggs for a healthy scramble. Serve with a piece of whole grain toast and as always, add your favorite fruit for dessert.

Hope these help.
  • Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Tonight the kids wanted Salisbury steak, yeah granted not the healthiest thing in the world, but we paired it with mashed cauliflower, Brussels, and collard greens. My steak got all the gravy washed off and I devoured some veggies :) 482 calories, and I did snag a biscuit, but it's almost time for my workout :)
  • SuovieFit
    Options
    yup easier to eat the unhealthy stuff but for sure not easier to work it off....i've found too that's easy, i shop on on sundays for the fresh stuff each week. i get yogurts veggies and fruits etc and just enough for the week to it won't go bad and it keeps me focused to not stop and fast food on the way to work or on lunch. plus that way i've already spent the money on healthy food.