100 calories snack bags!

Options
I have to say that I am super excited to try this! :D I found this Idea on pintrest and I am for sure going to try it out! I just wanted to get the word out for people who haven't heard of it or for people who have done- how did you like it??

So basically what you do is gather a little lunch bag with 12 100 calorie snack bags! You can choose what you eat all day long but just make sure you only eat what is in your bag! I love this idea becuase you have so much freedom to choose what to eat when and you can snack all day long!

So excited to try it and I would love to hear your thoughts on it. ;D

Replies

• DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not following you... I am suppose to put 12 individual 100 calorie snack bags in a lunch bag, then only eat out of that bag all day? 1200 calories of cookies and chips?
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is great for a "cheat" day or "eat what you want day" to help you stay within your calorie range, but for an everyday thing? No thanks, because I wouldn't have the discipline not to eat chocolate covered pretzels instead of fresh fruits. But that's just me.
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    Options
    so like carrots, apple slices, crackers etc as just the snacks right? or meals too?
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not following you... I am suppose to put 12 individual 100 calorie snack bags in a lunch bag, then only eat out of that bag all day? 1200 calories of cookies and chips?
    Put your own Healthy foods in the bags. Not the pre-packaged processed stuff that Passes as Food. I absolutely get where you're coming from. Sounds like a fun thing to do some days. I think I'll give it a shot.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking too! Damn! I may as well eat a bag of Oreos. :laugh:
  • rileydog14
    Options
    I love the idea of portioning out the foods and keeping them in a container in the cupboard to grab easily. Much easier than counting out food each time. But I am not sure that you mean I can have 12 bags of crackers or cookies as my only food for a day.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Have not heard of this, but it sounds unhealthy. I find the more I cook, the better my physical and mental health is.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    the 100 calorie snack bags are great for a SNACK. In my opinion, you shouldn't replace these with meat, vegetables and fruits.
    I use the 100 calorie snack bags all the time. When I want a snack mid afternoon.......I grab ONE. And then try to eat a great healthy nutritious meal. I really don't think it is wise to only eat from the 100 calorie snack bag family.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of portioning out the foods and keeping them in a container in the cupboard to grab easily. Much easier than counting out food each time. But I am not sure that you mean I can have 12 bags of crackers or cookies as my only food for a day.

I do this normally. The night before I plan on what I am going to eat the next day and portion it out and put it in containers in the fridge/on the counter so I can just quickly grab.
    And I'd love to have 12 bags of white oreos!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im confused lol

I already buy the Snackwell's 100 calorie snack bags in replacement of chips & junk food :) that works for me.
  • christine5791
    christine5791 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great idea guys... and I love the little 100 calorie thinsation packs.. they are handy and yummy, but you get nailed on the price of it being ready to eat.... I think I may use part of this idea mentioned by buying similar yummy treats and finding out 100cals of each treat, bagging it and keeping it handy for when going to work or road trips. Cheaper too then the pre-done 100 cal snack bags. For fruit or nuts my husband and I use these tiny little tupperwares, easy, cheap and not using a million ziplock bags...:smile:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    All calories are NOT created equal! There is no nutrition in that 1200 calorie lunch bag....is that what you mean? Eat 1200 calories of junk calories?
  • christine5791
    christine5791 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    the 100 calorie snack bags are great for a SNACK. In my opinion, you shouldn't replace these with meat, vegetables and fruits.
    I use the 100 calorie snack bags all the time. When I want a snack mid afternoon.......I grab ONE. And then try to eat a great healthy nutritious meal. I really don't think it is wise to only eat from the 100 calorie snack bag family.

Yeah, I totally agree jaj68... I love having one little tiny treat a day to satisfy that sweet tooth or whatever. But one is really all I should take b/c otherwise I am just letting mysef have what I want... defeats the purpose.... :happy:
  • ARyding17
    ARyding17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sorry maybe I explained this wrong! There is no way I would eat the 100 calories bags of chocalte covered junk 12 times a day, that is not what I meant at all!

I meant one bag would be a 100 calorie bun. The next would be 100 calories of stir fry veggies. You would have two small peaches for around 100 and you would have 2 low fat cheese sticks and a hundred calories of whole grain crackers, 100 calories of nuts.

Does this make more sense?

I feel so dumb...lol
  • ldmclaughlin
    Options
    That's how I read you! I think that's a fantastic idea. It is a good way for you to know exactly how much you're eating and keep you on track with those 12 little bags. Thanks for sharing your idea!
  • kindlewalker
    kindlewalker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've tried something like this and it was very effective. I'm trying to lose about 2 pounds per week and without exercise I can eat 1280 calories and I have a good day. If I put my base daily calories into 12 snack bags , how big 1200 calories is is very understandable to me. I can see it there on the table in front of me. I can see and understand what is left to eat at any moment.

I think this idea is kind of like richard simmons deal a meal program. They both make 1200 calories less abstract and more real.

I've done this with nuts, fruit and beef jerky. I've actually weighed out 100 calories of food and put it in Glad Zipper Snack Bags.

The difficulty, besides explaining to my wife what I am doing, is that it is hard to get a nutritionally sound and complete set of 12 bags. You can vary it up by including fruit like apples, bananas, raisins and such. you can put vegetables and cheeses in these bags. You could put meats or chicken or a boiled egg in a bag too if you eat them soon enough, but the food you can put in a bag and carry around is limited.

Maybe you could mix bags of food with tokens or cards that represent 100 calories of some food like a card that says '1 cup of skim milk' or '4 oz of cottage cheese' (Breakstone's makes 100 calorie packages of cottage cheese).

The cool part of this idea is that it make 1200 calories very understandable, and it makes you plan your eating. It is kind of like using cash instead of a credit card.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could make your own 100 cal packs....
    Make some for each of the food groups..
    nuts
    cheese
    hard boiled egg
    Giant apple w/ one wedge of laughing cow cheese
    Giant apple + tbsp of almond or peanut butter
    bag of cherries
    A big banana
    Ziploc bag any raw veggies... + 1tbsp your choice dressing + or Hummus This is a filling snack.
    How bout a V-8 ?
    100 cal thinbread (You could have that with the cheese heated up)
    100 cal popcorn
    150 cal skinney cow

Those are some you could make up and pack yourself... But just have everypack a pre-made snackeeee packs, and only that, your going to neglect your body the fiber and nutrients of those whole food group items... What If you had 300 calories from those snackee packs per day, and the rest from the whole food group list. Its not too hard to put them in the baggies ahead of time yourself in advance. Then you could throw into your bag as many as you think you want.. And you'd be getting some better nutritional factors everyday. And still having the snackeee kind that your talking about. I have seen 100 calorie packs of dehydrated apples.. I like those. And the snack wells... But just don't think it would be a satisfying day, if I just ate 12 of those. I want some fruit and veggies to fill up on... And some real proteins..
  • gazzy4
    gazzy4 Posts: 1
    Options
    This is what I have been doing on days when I am at school from 8am to 8pm, or on days I think are going to be tricky. I enjoy knowing that no matter what bag I pick it or when I pick it, it will all be good.

What I do though is make some more calorie dense containers/bags that are still healthy and within the daily limit but have more substance so that I still have a lunch, dinner and breakfast.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sorry maybe I explained this wrong! There is no way I would eat the 100 calories bags of chocalte covered junk 12 times a day, that is not what I meant at all!

I meant one bag would be a 100 calorie bun. The next would be 100 calories of stir fry veggies. You would have two small peaches for around 100 and you would have 2 low fat cheese sticks and a hundred calories of whole grain crackers, 100 calories of nuts.

Does this make more sense?

I feel so dumb...lol
    It's not you who should feel dumb. It's others who jumped on the words 100 calorie snack pack and stopping reading. or thinking.
  • bbbccp
    bbbccp Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My family started making 100 calorie snack packs in early July, I spend about a half hour on Sunday's portioning them- mini Caramel rice cakes from Aldi (10-12), mini pretzel sticks (Rold Gold - 48 to 50 sticks, Almonds (14), Red Vines(3) the list is endless!