Weight won't go down?

Options
Welp the title says it all folks. Early last May I was 134 pounds, then some events came up (birthdays, holidays, etc) and I ended up indulging and gaining a bit from it. I now fluctuate between 138 - 140 pounds and I haven't lost any in over two months. I'm not only going by the scale either. I'm going by how my clothes fit and my measurements, which are exactly the same. My goal is to get down to 118 - 124 pounds, but if I'm heavier from muscle, that's alright, too. I want to be lean! I have an event next summer I want to look good for and not losing weight won't help.

For the last few months I had been doing 45 - 60 minutes of cardio, no strength training, and eating between 1200 - 1600 calories. Last week I started strength training, too so now I do a circuit routine 2 - 3 days a week, of strength and cardio. I know I haven't gained muscle weight in only two weeks.

MFP says I should eat 1500 calories without exercise, and with between 1800 - 1900 (depending on how much my workout burns, which is between 250 - 400 calories, depending on the exercises). I tried to eat about 1800 this week but only got to 1600 maybe 1700. Should I try eating 1800 for a few more weeks to see how that does? I used this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to figure calories and it says to eat between 1800 - 1900.

Any advice is appreciated. If it helps, I'm 18 years old, 138 - 140 pounds and 5'2" - 5'4".

Replies

• Voca_Star
    Voca_Star Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump. Please, help. :(
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Please be patient with yourself - a new routine takes a bit of time to adjust to - both for you and your body. Take a look at this thread it will help you set your targets and if you follow the instructions both your planned deficit and your exercise burn will be factored in so you won't need to chase after/eat back your exercise calories. Just be aware that it can take a few weeks for your body to sort out the new program so don't bail out if you don't see big results the first week or two. This is designed for a consistent sustainable loss over time not a quick loss and then a stall.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    HI! Look up eat more to lose more. There are some things about eating more to get your system to get going again aannnddddd ... here is an AWESOME thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck. I personally would say to eat 1600 at least since you are doing so much exercise. Do that for two weeks and see how you do.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    so, are you 5'2", 5'3" or 5'4"? I am just under 5'2" and weigh 151lbs right now...if I get down to 145, I will be ecstatic, are you sure you want to lose that much more?
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    HI! Look up eat more to lose more. There are some things about eating more to get your system to get going again aannnddddd ... here is an AWESOME thread.

Good luck. I personally would say to eat 1600 at least since you are doing so much exercise. Do that for two weeks and see how you do.

I've been eating 1600 calories for the past two weeks (went from 1500 to 1600, tried 1800 last week) and it didn't do anything for me.
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    Yeah, I'm about 5'3" and a half, I think. If I remember right.
    YES I'm sure I want to lose that much. This isn't a good weight for me. :(
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and much older than you. I do my best to stay within 1200 calories. Since April I have lost 19 pounds, since April 19, 2012. I suggest eating less and I don't eat back my calories. Good luck you can do this!
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and much older than you. I do my best to stay within 1200 calories. Since April I have lost 19 pounds, since April 19, 2012. I suggest eating less and I don't eat back my calories. Good luck you can do this!

Perhaps 1200 works for you, but I've tried it for months and it did nothing but put me in starvation mode.
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    BUMPING :((
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    bump
  • MitchIsBeast
    Options
    Have patience! Rest 2-3 days. Work harder!
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week, 4 - 5 is too few right?