Running a 5K--am I stupid?

Options

Replies

• WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not stupid. Very smart to set this goal. I'm doing my second for this year on Oct 6 with some friends. While I'm hoping to run some of it, I know we'll walk more often than not. on't know what surface you usually run on but be sure to train off the treadmill some if you usually use one because running on the treadmill is so different than on the road. Whatever your training is, just consider this another training day. You aren't trying to win. You're trying to do your own personal best and set your standard. Be safe and good luck!
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    all great advice. The race is good motivation. couch to 5k program -- it's great.
  • Energyflows
    Options
    *bump* This might help me a lot for my race (6K on the 23thr of september also) ;-) GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is nothing foolish about wanting to do a 5k, like you said it is a Run/Walk. Here is how I completed my first 5k and I am a big boy who on the sprints like a beast buit has never had the endurance for the long run. Keep training the C25K; on the day of the event when they pop the start clock treat it like a regular training day. Turn on your music and do the 5 minute warm-up walk then jog. I bet ya a good home cooked meal that you will not be the last in the trail nor will you be disappointed that you completed the event. There will be others who are thinking the same things as you. Go out there and have fun.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    They don't shoot the walkers.

Use it as a good excuse to train harder. You can progress from running 5-6 minutes into a full 5K in a month. Even if you don't, you'll be very close to that point.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have always signed up for 5Ks when I couldn't run a mile without stopping. Like you said, knowing that I didn't want to be the last person to cross the finish line (if they didn't take it down already!) was motivation to train as best as I could up until the race. Also, you will find an extra boost in running alongside other people, and passing them! Don't let your mental blocks get in your way. You will definitely be able to finish a strong race. The C25K program was what I always used and I loved it, so stick to your program and if you don't have enough time to make it to week 9, don't sweat it. Just do your best. Good luck!
  • brentdaniels
    Options
    Nope, not stupid at all. However, they are highly addictive! LOL. Nothing beats the feeling of crossing that finish line. I haven't ran one in about 10 years(my last race as a half marathon), but I fully intend to get back into them.

So, go on and do it....and don't forget to post your results.
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said...it's not stupid. You are going to do this and at the end when you cross that finish line it's going to be one of the best moments of your life!! Stay on track with your training and you'll get through it. Pace yourself through the run and stay in a positive mind frame. Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes! :happy:
  • sammyjo0009
    Options
    I will agree wth the ton on this! It is not silly crazy or way out there you are in inspiration to this couch potato
  • gaj87
    gaj87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No matter how you do, just remember that you did something you've never done before and that you completed ahead of everyone still sitting on their couches.Be proud.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not stupid! I am addicted to running, and my first race was a 5K just a few weeks after I'd started seriously running. I finished in under 39:00 and was so incredibly high from the amount of excitement, pride, adrenaline... it was amazing. I do around 1 race a month, sometimes more, hoping to move into 10Ks this fall/winter, and maybe a half marathon next year :) I think it's awesome that you signed up! Don't be afraid to go slow and steady when you need to - there is no rule that says you have to run the entire thing (or any of it, actually, a lot of people walk the majority of a 5K).
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    JUST GO FOR IT! No one will care if you end up walking part of it. Just do it and finish. That way you will have a time to beet when you do yout 2nd 5K. I walked part of my first 5K. Every race I do that is a new longer distance my goal is to just finish and get a time to beat. Good luck!
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    They don't shoot the walkers.

LOL I love this and its true.

No one ever shot me for walking in a race.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I hope your not stupid cause I signed up to do one in Nov. I'm far from being a runner but I'm working on it. Figured it would give me some inspiration to get off my butt and get to moving. Right now I can run about 40secs but that's better then when I started a couple of weeks ago.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Heck no it's not a bad idea!

Even at a moderately brisk walking pace (3 mph) you can finish in an hour. You won't be out there in the dark listening to crickets. You will do just fine! LOL
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know. It might be foolish. A 5k is like a gateway drug to actually enjoying running, and ending up with a huge collection of race tees and bibs stuck on your refrigerator. :wink:

Don't feel bad if you have to walk some. I've been running for over a year and a half, consider myself pretty good, even won some medals, and I still feel the need to walk every so often. And usually, I give in to that urge, because I figure I'm never going to be an Olympian... if I can enjoy running with some walk breaks, vs feeling miserable without them, then I don't care if my average pace is 10-30 seconds slower per mile.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all... you have done that hardest part of it- having the courage to sign up! To put your name out that and make that bold statement- I am going to do this!

You go and kick some *kitten*! Do get back on that training and you will do absolutely fantastic!

I'll run one mile for you too!
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    Options
    GO FOR IT.

Last year, I signed up, on a whim, for a charity one? I had never really run - kind of jogged, sporadically. So I downloaded Couch to 5K and did the 8 weeks leading up?

It's gentle, and it's confidence building. I found that running in the mornings became "me" time.

I was able to jog the entire distance. It was the best thing I've ever done.

It takes work, but it's so worth it. You can do it!!!!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Not stupid at all! And you are not going to finish after dark!!! Can you walk 3 miles? How long does it take you to walk 3 miles? That will be your worst case time. At some point (or even every training day), when you finish your C25K workout, continue walking until you have reached 3.1 miles (or 5K). Keep track of your times. You will see massive improvement. You are out there to compete against only 1 person....and that is YOU. Be happy no matter what happens. It is all good! And it is all WAY better than what you would have been doing a few months/a year (?) ago, isn't it? And you have WAY won against all those people laying on their couches or those standing on the sidelines! You can do it!

Now.....I just reached the point of running 3 miles and I'm about to start training for a 13K for October! Now that very well may be stupid! LOL
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You got this. You can do this. Just keep training and you'll cross that finish line. It doesn't matter if you're first or last, just crossing that finish line is the main goal Its an awesome feeling. One you will never forget. Just do it and enjoy the experience. You won't regret it.